don't click here

The Lost Street Fighter II: Champion Edition for Sega Mega Drive Released

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by evilhamwizard, Jul 4, 2020.

1. evilhamwizard

evilhamwizard

Researcher
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Presenting, not one, but TWO prototypes of the cancelled Street Fighter II: Champion Edition port for the Sega Mega Drive! Developed in a partnership between Sega (sound), Capcom (art), and possibly Opera House (programming), this was the infamous "black bar" version shown to the press in March of 1993 shortly before being cancelled for the Special Champion Edition, which had the unfortunate disadvantage of being released next to Mortal Kombat! We extensively researched the history behind this port and discovered many twists and turns. We highly recommend reading the article here:

https://hiddenpalace.org/News/The_Lost_Street_Fighter_II:_Champion_Edition_for_Sega_Mega_Drive

Enjoy! And have a very happy burger day! ​

2. Xilla

Xilla

I recently mentioned this very build (https://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?posts/963616/) and it actually got me wondering what became of it and what it's relation was to that wierd ST2 prototype. Great to see it found and released! Looking forward to getting murdered off the AI later..... :V

3. Galvatron

Galvatron

UK
    Thank you for these amazing releases. I've just played through both prototypes on the highest difficulty in the hope one of them would show a credits sequence, but no dice. However, the July proto has this message after the congratulations screen:
    [​IMG]

• Informative Informative x 6
    • List
  4. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Great prototypes, and also a great write-up - magazines spent a good chunk of 1993 claiming Street Fighter II would be released soon. It was the biggest of deals.

5. cornholio857

cornholio857

The Great Cornholio Member
    Jacksonville, FL
    In search of TP
    This is amazing! Thanks to all involved with these releases!

6. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

That article was a fascinating read. I always wondered why there were so many Street Fighter II versions and ports, so it’s interesting to see what was going on behind the scenes at the time. Capcom were really playing the field trying their best to get around everyone to make as much money as possible. From the sudden announcement of a new SNES game it seems that Nintendo made some demands - I’d have loved to have been a fly on the wall there. 8 and 16bit era Nintendo were infinitely more aggressive about their market share back then than they are today, though they’ve not been the top dog since 1995. Nowadays they focus all their efforts on bullying Youtubers...

7. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
  8. Asagoth

Asagoth

Behold! The mighty, the flawless, salted cod eater Member
    Portugal
    wiki stuff... and a beer... or two... or more...
    Player one #33 is from July/August 1993 ... Summer CES 1993 (Chicago) ... Six Button Control Pad shown for the first time... only two playable characters (Ryu and Ken)... Capcom decided to change a few things...game would be upgraded from a 20mbit cartridge to a 25 mbit cartridge... game to be released in mid January 1994... Super Champion Edition?

9. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    I think that later prototype has an incorrect date.

- Summer CES 1993 was early June, almost two months before this build is dated
    - Four months apparently separate those two prototypes. It doesn't look like four months of work to me (unless that's why it was cancelled)
    - Street Fighter II Turbo (Hyper Fighting) was all over SCES - it was on a big screen (3:52) (also bonus choppy Sonic Spinball demo reel) (also yes this issue of EGM makes a cameo so in a roundabout way, "Champion Edition" does technically make an appearance)
    - Nobody is talking about regular Champion Edition in the latter half of 1993 (except those who couldn't read). It was almost certainly dead by the summer.

10. evilhamwizard

evilhamwizard

Researcher
    It's an EPROM burn date. There were magazines in Europe that were still getting the CE builds into the late summer.

Interesting about the Super Champion Edition, never thought it was actually called that and thought the brief mentions of it were done in error. Those screenshots are definitely of that version that was shown at the show (I'm surprised they were able to get pictures of it). Aside from Mean Machines Sega, the only description of the demo came from a report/interview with Jeremy Horwitz for "The Next Thing" e-magazine. I'll have to find it.

EDIT: https://www.mediafire.com/file/8c0ce15cng87n5j/CESNEWS.zip/file Here it is, it was actually mixed in with the 1994 report for some reason. CESTRANS includes the IRC interview, CESFAQFN has a small blurb about the version at the demo. Relevant parts quoted below:

At some point there were actually screenshots and audio recordings provided with these reports but these don't seem to exist anymore. :(

But the general consensus was that whatever was shown wasn't really good. I had a hard time even finding detailed reports in magazines of the game at the show.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2020
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  11. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    It's Street Fighter IIs-day:

Street Fighter II': Champion Edition/Magazine articles

Here's so much coverage that it hurts. There'll be more in our archives, but it's a start.

This is about as far as I can go right now, because I don't understand the nuances between all the different versions of Street Fighter II. No doubt there are experts among us.

And I know even less about Street Fighter II Turbo on the SNES. Word seems to be that the Mega Drive's Champion Edition was upgraded to get Hyper Fighting content... at the same time the SNES Turbo was given Champion Edition content. So once upon a time they were set to be two different games, but in the end became the same. Except they didn't. Except they did. Or something.

There also seems to have been a strange policy at Capcom to not release the same game for two different platforms (independent of Nintendo's complaints), so maybe the PC Engine version of Champion Edition was playing a role.

I also suspect while the version at SCES 1993 was calling itself "Super Champion Edition", marketing was pushing "Special Champion Edition". Truth is I'm not sure what's going on - coverage transitions away from "black bars" Street Fighter II in June/July/August but they still describe all the characters and moves with screenshots and claim the game is nearly done, so maybe they brought an outdated build with them to SCES.

12. Mentski

Mentski

Pff. Member
    Parts Unknown
    Being a mysterious face.
    Maybe this Super Champion Edition build was closer to the ST Turbo bootleg. if the title screen in that magazine is anything to go by it's clearly one of the builds before Capcom took over,

I guess the decision had already been made to enhance CE before they took it in house, and Super Champion Edition/"ST Turbo" is the result of that.

13. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    I don't care if I'm treading over old ground - nobody writes things down.

Question: What makes "Street Fighter II': Special Champion Edition" special?

"Group battle" mode.

What? Yes, while there's probably truth in Sega wanting the Hyper Fighting features in their game, this wasn't any more of a selling point than "more characters" and "more moves", which you get by default by porting Champion Edition over World Warrior. Group battle is what keeps coming up, be it through Sega Visions, official advertising or on the back of the box - you can't get this on Nintendo* (or these prototypes), that's why the game is "special". Although I still can't rule out dodgy marketing and silly naming schemes.

It's a feature so great most non-American countries forgot to mention it. Perhaps if it actually involved "groups" battling there'd be more of a reason to care.

*it's in Super Street Fighter II and probably a dozen games since, but only Sega had it in 1993!

14. Xilla

Xilla

It's why I hate that whole lazy argument of "Huh huh huh you had to buy a special controller huh huh huh" when it comes to SNES SF2 vs MD SF2. MD SF2 was the full package right out the box, whilst those who had already bought World Warrior on SNES had to shell out more than what two 6-button pads would have been worth in 1993 just for the gameplay tweaks and the ability to chose the bosses.......and it was STILL missing something the MD version had!

Plus I also don't like the SNES music :p

15. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Summer CES 1993 - the "Super Champion Edition". We've got two people quoted as restricting player 2 to Chun Li or Guile, and yet that screenshot I posted clearly has two Ryus. What's going on?

https://segaretro.org/index.php?title=File:MeanMachinesSega10UK.pdf&page=12

On the last day, which was a Sunday (and the day the public were allowed in), the ROM was changed. So there were two builds at SCES. I've heard stories of companies swapping out builds mid-show but this might be the first case there's genuine evidence for.

This would presumably rule out my above theory of having an old build at the show - swapping out one early build for another suggests they didn't have much to demonstrate and were panicking a bit. They dun screwed up.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  16. Asagoth

Asagoth

Portugal
    Someone posted this screenshot at Sega-16:

[​IMG]

there's apparently an earlier prototype (March 5, 1993)... EGM #46 tells us that their reviews were based on an early test copy of SFII CE ... it was probably this one... I think I've seen this screenshot before... I just don't remember where I've seen it...

17. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Maybe somebody at Sega-16 can ask for that image's source?

18. Galvatron

Galvatron

UK
    Isn't it taken directly from this trailer? It has the same test ver text on it at the end.

19. Asagoth

Asagoth

Portugal
    Yes... that's it... thanks... I thought I saw it in some magazine... but I was wrong...

20. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    For the experts - apparently there are gameplay differences between the US and Japanese releases of Champion Edition (in the arcade), and that this Mega Drive port derives from the Japanese verison.

...and then some of it was re-introduced in Hyper Fighting aarrrhhhgg

• Informative Informative x 2
    • List