don't click here

Sonic Generations Hacking (and More!)

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Andrew75, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    I keep trying to unzip the Metropolis mod, but this happens everytime, with most of the files. Ive tried both the MEGA and Google links, tried downloading to different areas on my computer, checked for updates in Windows, and nothing worked. Any ideas?
    upload_2020-2-8_20-25-4.png

2. Billy

Billy

RIP Oderus Urungus Member
    Colorado, USA
    Indie games
    Have you already tried using a program like 7-zip?

3. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    No, and that apparently fixed it. I didn't even consider using 7Zip since it's a standard .zip file, and Windows has never griped about those before. Thanks!

4. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    Lady Luna is back at it, and this time, Sonic's decided to co-opt everyone's outfits.
    [​IMG]

5. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    And now Sonic is a woman!
    [​IMG]

6. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    Cursed:V
    I do love that Generations modding is still alive in this day and age, though

7. Crappy Blue

Crappy Blue

Knuckles' Chaotix is a perfect game with no flaws Member
    What the fuck is that outfit

8. Skyth

Skyth

I'm making a thing

9. That looks really good, actually. Yeah, you can see where it's unfinished, but like you said, it's a work in progress. It does make me wonder, what was the point of the "Hedgehog Engine 2"? They said it was for better lighting, but this looks pretty good itself. The only advantage Forces seems to have at this point is the number of level slots, although that's traded out with the actual level length that can be put into each slot.

Still hoping somebody eventually cracks being able to add levels to Generations instead of just replacing them.

10. Skyth

Skyth

Sonic Forces is a 64-bit game and runs on DirectX 11. There are very good graphical improvements like PBR (which is an industry standard today), spherical gaussians for lightmaps (which makes things pop out more and look accurate), spherical harmonics for objects (as replacement for HE1 light fields), parallax-corrected cubemaps for specular reflections, PCF shadow maps & shadow cascades and more. HE1 wouldn't able to do any of these things without hacks & workarounds. I'm already having a difficult time implementing all of this due to Sonic Generations being a 32-bit game and DirectX 9 having so many limitations. Not impossible, but very difficult.

Also, custom level slots are possible, but I haven't tried to do it myself.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  11. Wow. I've worked with a few of those things in my college courses, but I didn't realize they were so recent. I apologize for my ignorance.

12. RDNexus

RDNexus

Has anyone ever tried to port Eggman06's model to other games? Like SA1, SA2, Generations, Forces?
    Yesterday, I saw a video of Forces with TONS of Sonic model ports, and 06's was among them. It looked as great as current Modern Sonic.
    Hence me wondering if Eggman06, if in a different game, could look better than in its original game?

13. Skyth

Skyth

I made a mod that increases performance and decreases memory usage greatly. It also supports various display types like Borderless Fullscreen and Windowed.
    [​IMG]

14. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member

15. Smimbo

Smimbo

Hi, I'm working on modding for the first time and I've got music and audio done and a general idea of what I'm supposed to do to import models, however I can't find anything online about how to convert my .blend file to a .model file to be used over sonic's model, would anyone be able to provide any tools or help on how to convert the file to a model file?

16. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

UltimateDarkman (who made the Real Knuckles and Real Tails mods) is working on a Real Shadow mod, and it's looking pretty good so far. He actually managed to get the effect of Shadow's skates working, which previous mods don't have.

17. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

Bump - the Real Shadow Mod is out!

18. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Ugh, I hate when character modders do this. The model itself and the animations are spot on. But then they think they know better when it comes to redesigning the UI elements and 90% of the time it comes out worse. Just recolor the original UI. It's less work and it would fit better.

One thing I find funny though, when modders tend to add Shadow to games they almost always retain his skating animation at top speed, whereas Sega has him kinda fly/float when boosting. Guess the fans just think the floating looks stupid :V

19. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    Yeah, couldn't agree more. The stupid gunshots sfx from StH are less than needed imo.
    Still a great mod and UltimateDarkman came a long way since his earlier mods imo. But good god do that HUD looks trashy.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2020
  20. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    It just comes off as trying to put a square peg into a round hole. Especially because like 60% of the UI remains the same. So you get the original UI font for menus and then a completely different font in the level and the results screen. Like if you REALLY need to redo the UI, then redo the entire UI, not just 40% of it. Also worth noting it might require some like HUD rebuilding because the UI as is is not built to accommodate different fonts, the spacing will be all off and it looks bad.

This stuff drives the graphic designer part of me insane lol. It's nitpicky, but I thought the Generations UI was pretty slick, even if it produced that creepy looking Sonic 1-up icon (just use the damn Sonic Team logo head). But they hired someone who knew what they were doing with UI. UltimateDarkman's skills lie elsewhere. Maybe he could recruit someone else for that part?