don't click here

Sonic Classic 2

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by Hez, Jul 21, 2011.

1. Slow the Snail

Slow the Snail

This looks great!

Level design seems to be a lot better than your average Sonic fan game. I like the custom sprites, like Sonic having his hand closed when in max speed (feels more like classic Sonic), bent spin dash and insta-shield from Advance, the signpost a mix of Sonic 1 and 2. The bosses made of multiple pieces is very reminiscent of the 16-bit era in general and look very cool.

The new levels feel unique even when they repeat pre-existing tropes, like snow stages, and some of them don't seem to fit in old tropes at all. This in particular makes me wish it was an official game. I also like how you mash old gimmicks together to create new gimmicks, instead simply of using old ones with new graphics. This is the right approach, it's familiar and new at the same time.

The only constructive criticism I can give is that the main menu feels a bit slow and you can't see what the options are without cycling through them (some people might not even notice there are other options, since they're hidden). This seems to be a minor nitpick, but you have to consider that the average player will see that screen a lot and it is the first impression of the game, even before the gameplay itself. So the least friction there, the better. :)

2. RetroRespecter

RetroRespecter

Why don't you add Sonic the Hedgehog Remake with this game? This is crazy accurate. The new addition to the Special Zones does add challenge. I only hope that "Tails" can accompany Sonic as in Sonic the Hedgehog 2, Sonic the Hedgehog 3, Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode II and Sonic Mania.

3. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    I planned on it. It's been 90 percent done since SC1.

4. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    Sorry if this is a stupid question, but why is there a Knuckles 1-up at 5:45 in the video while you're playing as Sonic?

Also yeah, awesome stuff.

5. I believe that’s the transformation gimmick - you can transform into versions of Sonic with Knuckles’s abilities for a short period of time by hitting those.

6. Naldrag

Naldrag

... Member
    Earth
    Lurking
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but based on the trailers it's safe to assume the base version is going to have the Sonic 1 / Sonic Classic levels and then as you stated Plus adds on Sonic 2 and Encore, correct?

Regardless, much like the original, this game is looking fantastic and I can't wait to run through this.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2020
  7. Is there any news as of the 15th of September?

8. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    Is they was any more news, Hez would've been the first to tell us about it. These kinds of posts aren't useful.

9. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    Nothing really significant besides being able to play it through (gamebreaking that is) glitch free. Trying hard to polish and get the special stages functioning properly at the moment.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  10. Sally Rose

Sally Rose

thank you for the updates btw

11. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    So theoretically it's playable. All four base characters are done. It's not polished. Ya'll want me to rush this out, or you want me to delay it another month or two and get you the features finished? I'm OK with either.

12. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    I definitely don’t mind waiting a little bit more at this point if it’s gonna be that much more polished. Looking forward to it either way though.

13. Xiao Hayes

Xiao Hayes

Classic Eggman art Member
    I can wait a year if necessary, polishing should always go first.

14. Hez, get it polished up real nice, and put out as a Christmas gift to the community.

15. Sid Starkiller

Sid Starkiller

Virginia, USA
    Paying off student loans
    I don't see a publisher breathing down your neck. Take your time.

16. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    I’m cool with waiting 1 month or 2 for more polish.
    No matter what you decide to do, I’m super hype we’re so close to the game’s release! I’ve been looking forward to playing it for a while now.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2020
  17. The Shad

The Shad

↑ & ↓ & ↻ Oldbie
    You've put this much work into it, go for the gusto. Polish it up and release it as you intend, no need to rush.

18. SpaceyBat

SpaceyBat

United States
    Freedom Planet 2
    As long as you know where to draw to line in terms of features and polish, then giving yourself a few extra months should be beneficial. Best of luck!

19. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak

2 Edgy 4 U Tech Member
    O'Fallon Mo
    Sonic 1 Game Gear Disassembly
    Definitely take your time, we can wait a few more months. It'd be a nice gift around Christmas, but even then if it's going to take a bit longer than that it'll still be a nice gift whenever it does get released.

20. Rudie Radio Waves

Rudie Radio Waves

Italy
    Many a game.
    I agree with the general sentiment. Feel free to take your time!