don't click here

Sonic Forces Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Blue Blood, Jul 23, 2016.

1. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie
    All the nostalgia and none of the spirit. Something like this should be badass, but just, isn’t.

2. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Epic dull bee battle featuring Zavok for some reason! All the excite lol

3. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun

OVER THE TOP TECHNO-BLAST Member
    Buffalo, NY, USA
    The Water
    If they really wanted nostalgia, they could've given us a Chaos 1/3/5 fight or something.

4. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Nah we don't need that. Classic Sonic can kill Chaos 0 in one hit and then he's gone for the rest of the game :V

That entire game was a nostalgia cock tease.

5. Frostav

Frostav

Ten bucks on Steam. Still not gonna buy it just yet.

If the character creator were actually in-depth and let you make interested characters I might be able to stomach the game, but it's so incredibly limited because it's been thrown together like the rest of the game. I know a lot of people with Sonic OC's and not a single one of them would be able to recreate theirs in the game, lol

Side note: I always actually kinda liked the change they made to airboosting in this game, from videos it looks like a fun mechanic with the slightly lower gravity and graceful dive arc it gives you.

6. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Hmmm $10 huh...

Maybe I'll get it for the mods

7. Frostav

Frostav

To be fair, there are some surprisingly in-depth and big mods for this game. I guess it's easier to mod than Gens?

8. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I think the lighting engine makes it easier to make better looking levels, but that's prob about it.

Well I hope my desktop can run this okish because I just bought it lol.

9. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak

2 Edgy 4 U Tech Member
    O'Fallon Mo
    Sonic 1 Game Gear Disassembly
    I own the game on PS4 but I went ahead and bought it on Steam mainly for the mods. (That and I kind of want to play through the game again... :V ) I mean $10 is a decent enough price for the game... Now the only Steam sonic game I don't have in my library is Team Sonic Racing but it didn't even receive a discount so I didn't bother buying it again.

10. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Lol they advertised that to me too, but I have it on the switch and seeing as how TSR has no online presence or mods... nah I'm good I don't need it.

11. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    My initial feelings on Forces haven't changed much since 2017, although removed from expectations, I probably have found a LITTLE more appreciation for it than I did at first. It still looks absolutely gorgeous in places, and in the very, very few stages that feel even remotely substantial, a glimmer of quality does shine through. As a fan, it's the kind of game I enjoy playing through well enough ONCE, but it's SO lacking in the sticky replayability that even some of the worst games in the series have, and it's clear that it wasn't DESIGNED with that in mind. Well, unless you just REALLY enjoy collecting Avatar pieces, red star rings, and whatever those number things are called. Those wouldn't be so bad, and the random missions that come up would actually have a TON of potential, but when the level design is so rote and underdesigned, only hardcore completionists are gonna be able to stomach it.

It's not a total disaster. It reviewed okay in some circles, Famitsu gave it a 35/40, it seems to have sold well enough, and as much as THAT SIDE of the fandom hates it, it didn't really affect Sonic's reputation the way past atrocities have... but it's still nowhere near what it should've been. It had way, WAY too much ambition in trying to satisfy EVERYONE, but with seemingly not nearly enough time to implement those ideas on much more than a surface level. If it truly was slapped together in under 18 months, that it holds up even THIS well is kind of impressive, but MAN I'd love to see what it might've looked like with another year or two of dev time.

The soundtrack's _really_ grown on me, though, and the fact that the stages are so simple means it's a fun game to just turn off the voices, turn down the sound effects, and just vibe out with.

12. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    @Josh Exactly why I put it with Sonic R. A simple, short game with a nice soundtrack that's fun to play when under various influences lol.

13. Frostav

Frostav

That's definitely a valid way to put it, but unfortunately for me, I'm not the same Sonic fan I was back when Generations came out.

See, in a world where Sonic Robo Blast 2.2 exists, it's really hard to justify even a mere 10 bucks on Forces. In fact, SRB2 2.2 (and a few other fangames, but SRB2 is the most complete by far) kinda just made me retroactively just lose all interest in the boost style, to be blunt--at least not without some massive changes that boil down to "3D Classic Sonic with boost added".

14. Iggy for Short

Iggy for Short

You could always wait for the next inevitable Sonic Humble Bundle. Then you get Forces, codes for a bunch of better Sonic games, and can set the SEGA slider to $0. :eng101:

15. Antheraea

Antheraea

Bug Hunter Member
    ngl, if the game let me play as a custom Chao I would've bought it by now

16. Mana

Mana

Good! Great! Awesome! Outstanding! Amazing! Member
    I forgot about that. Did anyone else find it strange that the only magazine in the world that recieved a review copy of the game rated the game well and days before any other reviews got out that completely slammed the game?

IMO, a lot of the reason Forces didn't get more flake was because we had just got Mania a couple months before so we were still in a state of euphoria over that game. Forces being so bad meant there was a chance that Classic might get more attention in the long run, or SEGA finally bites the bullet and we get a Mania "made by the fans" style 3D Sonic in the future.

Also there wasn't as much to rip into because the game didn't leave you with any remarkable negative or positive feelings. The script was corny, yeah but so what. The Modern Sonic stages last two minutes and they're the strongest part of the game, okay so? Just wasn't the same especially when we have come to expect a Sonic game to put a bad taste in our mouths.

When you play 06 or Boom there's also this sense of a good vision that got lost along the way. You can see the ambition the developers had and how SEGA rushing them took away the chances for the games to be great. So there's this underlying humourous cynicalism when you rip on them. I don't think Forces, with the elements it came out with, ever had the chance of being anything more than "meh".

I agree with the other things you said which is why I didn't quote them but you reminded me of a lot of feelings when you mentioned the Famitsu review.

17. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    Same! I really like the remixes (especially the Metal Sonic theme and "Rhythm and Balance"), and "Fighting Onward" is actually one of my favorite songs in the series. For some reason it always reminded me of Silver.

18. Aesculapius Piranha

Aesculapius Piranha

つづく Oldbie
    Unknown
    Diva
    I mean, I still like Forces. My problems as well as things I like remain the same, wonky physics that are especially noticeable in 2D Sonic levels, having to fight the camera, and the plot, while smart enough to keep on the short and sweet side, had a lot of holes where we just fill in the blanks like "oh okay Sonic has been 'dead' a while and the world has gone to shit ohai Sonic.' Music is fucking great. Infinite is an awesome baddie (though yeah kind of stole the thunder from other awesome baddies we were all excited to see). The Robotnik takeover was really neat and threw the world into familliar SatAM or even OVA Robotnikland territory. Its still my headcanon that Classic Sonic was a figment of Tails's breaking mind. I also feel like the Mania tie-in kind of sucks some of the cool away from both Forces and Mania which was near perfect.

Also I want to emphasize, that the Avatar levels were the most solid, polished, and fun part of the game. If the game had only been that it would have been a better game (though everyone would have been unhappy because they didn't get to play as established characters.)

19. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Sonic Robo Blast 2.2 is conflicting. The game feels great to play but the level design is not good Sonic level design. It's good, don't get me wrong, but yea. Like I can't play that game as Sonic alone as there are just too many easy ways to die. That and why is everything so small? Like the enemies, springs, and item monitors are so tiny and you don't even have a homing attack to lock in on them. I get that the game's been in development somehow for 22 years, but still.

It's a nice looking game overall, at least at this point.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2020
  20. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    It also controls like trash, so there's that.
    Don't mean to rip on a fangame that's literally older than me, but the fact that after two decades, they're still using the classic Doom engine which was never made for platformers is the main reason why I have trouble getting into the game.
    The levels are better when they're modded in another game, which says a lot about the overall quality of the product. (The same thing can be said about Forces too lol)