don't click here

SEGA launches the Sonic 2020 project, promises to release Sonic news on the 20th of every month

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by DreamsComeBlue, Jan 20, 2020.

1. ashthedragon

ashthedragon

Sonic Paradise Researcher
    Spain
    Sonic Paradise & Sonic Ages
    My concious and logical self says that leak is totally fake but... now I carve a RARE Sonic game. That hurts.

2. Diablohead

Diablohead

Indie dev Oldbie
    Near London
    games
    The day sega make a big collection that's not just rom dumps, i'll eat my hat.

It's criminal that we never got a taxman sonic 1-cd-2 collection or versions of these games on switch and more modern consoles, instead we get lag filled megadrive/genesis collections or lackluster sega ages versions with a broken version of the spindash and little extras at all.

3. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

It bugs me to no end that we got definite versions of S1 and S2 on mobiles, but SEGA have still proceeded to create new, different versions on other platforms in the future. Now that the AGES-branded versions of those games additional features such as the MegaPlay versions and the drop dash, neither can truly be called definitive. Why do they do this? The mobile versions really should have been used as a basis for all future ports. Everything that's in the AGES version could feasibly be added to the remastered versions. A "legacy mode" could even have been included that disables all of the new features, uses the original object layouts and runs in 4:3 if they truly want to preserve the original games without the updates (heck they could even just chuck in an emulator and rom like Generations did for S1 and call that legacy mode which would be easier still).

But yeah that supposed leak is 100% bogus. Not worth any time discussing it.

4. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    It’d be cool if they did make one, but Microsoft drove Rare straight into the ground after acquiring them. I wouldn’t really think a Rare Sonic game would be all that great.

5. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Overthinking Sonic timelines. Member
    what is the chance that Sega will announce a Sonic 5 with Evening Star and solemnly ignore the events of Sonic 4?

6. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    So Sonic Mania basically.

7. Antheraea

Antheraea

Bug Hunter Member
    given that the """original team""" behind Banjo Kazooie couldn't make a good platformer these days, I have even less hope in rare proper lmao. and also, I know I'm in the minority on this, but I can't stand rare's platforming aesthetic...

The forces dev woes are definitely normal shit for Sonic Team/Sega in general. I don't understand how they don't learn their lesson, they've had shenanigans happen to them for almost three decades now and yet no one has put their foot down and gone "NO forced deadlines, NO splitting of teams, NO retooling at the last minute!".

8. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

I've always wanted a spin-off title with Tails and Knuckles but no Sonic, inspired by Rayman Origins and Legends gameplay.

9. Frostav

Frostav

In no universe would Insomania bother with Sonic when they're making that Ratchet and Clank game and the Miles Morales Spider Man game...

Really, I wouldn't believe any leak that claims a 3rd-party is working on a Sonic game. As much as I hate to say it, I can guarantee you absolutely no dev would want to "waste their time" with Sonic. Not after not merely the series' actual creators' mediocre track record but the two most recent outsourced games being absolute disasters.

10. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

It’s really sad, especially when you consider the fact that Rare’s best game in the last 15 years was... Rare Replay.

11. Turbohog

Turbohog

What's with the seemingly baseless speculation that Sonic Forces had an especially troubled development? News flash - all games have somewhat troubled developments. Sonic Team had about 5 years to make Sonic Forces and they still shat out a turd.

12. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

Wait... Forces wasn't in development for five years, I just discovered.

Preliminary work began in 2013, but the actual game? It was in development for a grand total of... ONE YEAR.

This source lays it out. Work on Hedgehog Engine 2 began in 2013, not Forces itself. Between 2014 and 2016 Nakamura and a small team came up with the concepts. The actual game was only in development between 2016 and 2017.

That sure does explain a lot.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2020
  13. Antheraea

Antheraea

Bug Hunter Member
    If "all games" had troubled developments, we wouldn't be talking about specific cases, because it'd be stating the obvious. But it's not normal, and we know this because at this point Sonic has become synonymous with it, and because articles and videos are made of specific games that had disastrously troubled developments (I'm pretty fond of Wha Happun? as a series that looks into this kind of thing specifically, and not all the games featured on it are bad even).

While it's more widespread to force a game out to hit a deadline, 06's background of the team working on the game being repeatedly split up to work on other things, or having a bunch of people leave and management didn't fill holes or push it back, is not normal and is indicative of mismanagement. "& Knuckles" is a meme that exists because we live in a universe where Sega decided that the only possible choices for a team being behind was to ask players to double-dip or cut half their work to rush it out the door. Legitimately, how many games can you think of that faced that? There's a faint glimmer in the back of my mind of belated "pt 1" and "pt 2" of something but I can't tell you which game that was, and "& Knuckles" is in the zeitgeist because it is not normal, nor emblematic of great management practices.

14. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    So originally they were planning on announcing something on the 20th of each month... then the coronavirus happened and instead they've announced nothing at all.

But Sonic's bday is next week. Think they might finally share some actual news?

15. Gestalt

Gestalt

Sphinx in Chains Member
    No.

16. MH MD

MH MD

they do sill announce things every months, it's just small things for japan only that doesn't matter to the rest of the world mostly.

sonic birthday happen to be on the same day as new game expo + event, which SEGA is taking a huge part of it, so maybe we will see something there?

17. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

The New Game+ Expo will take place on June 23. It could be something.

18. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I'll never understand SEGA's approach to JP exclusive Sonic stuff. I thought JP didn't even like Sonic.

19. Gestalt

Gestalt

Sphinx in Chains Member
    Sega has been so busy lately (Game Gear Micro, PSO2, Yakuza 7), I just don't see that happening. So far it's been a bit of a weird summer (no E3, no Nintendo Direct), Sonic shouldn't be shouldering it himself.

20. RetroJordan91

RetroJordan91

The REAL Blue Sphere Guy Member
    I agree with this sentiment.. why “dumb down” on future ports when the mobile versions set the standard for what a definitive experience should be? Whatever the AGES ports have can easily be added in a heartbeat to the mobile ports if Taxman and co. were given the opportunity.

But this is SEGA we are talking about here so we will never know.