don't click here

Alex Kidd in Miracle World DX announced

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by JaxTH, Jun 10, 2020.

1. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
  2. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    Never cared much for Alex Kidd, but it's nice for the fans to finally have a new entry. Does Sega has anything to do with it? Doesn't look like it.

3. I was not expecting for that at all.

4. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Yep. And it looks really good!

It's being published by Merge Games. No idea who's developing it though; it's a group going by the name of Jankenteam, who have no other titles to their name and it simply sounds like something that came together for Alex Kidd. Merge Games are the publishers of one of Streets of Rage 4's physical editions.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  5. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    Besides owning the IP? Doesn't look like it.

6. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    • List
  7. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Marble Zone cameo detected:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  8. ashthedragon

ashthedragon

Sonic Paradise Researcher
    Spain
    Sonic Paradise & Sonic Ages
    Yes, it is being developed by Jankenteam, a team created for this game. In fact, this game was announced around 2-3 years ago as a fangame! I've been following it closely, as the developers are Spanish and I personally know some of them.

In fact, here is the complete team:

https://twitter.com/NareHop Hector Toro ( his nickname used everywhere is NareHop. He is also a well known youtuber), Art Director
    https://twitter.com/DaniPOCode Daniel Parrado Ortega, programmer
    https://twitter.com/BibikiGL Bibiki, music composer
    https://twitter.com/josyanf1 José Sanz, nicknamed everywhere as Josyanf, game designer
    https://twitter.com/NaeVal Ramón Nafria, Producer. Ramón also worked on Abylight (Super Hydorah), was CEO of A Crowd of Monsters ( Sugar Kid, Blues and Bullets, Funk of the titans)and also worked on many other game studios like Gameloft or Digital Legends. He is well known at the Spanish game dev community.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2020
    • List
  9. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    • List
  10. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Wow, didn't see this coming but it's awesome that SEGA is embracing another fan game developer for this.

I never really played the original, so this could be fun to pick up down the line

11. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

Not really digging the graphics, and it looks like they're sticking too close to the original gameplay. Does anyone really prefer rock-paper-scissors matches over real bosses?

12. Flygon

Flygon

I'm not a fan of the art style, but we'll see how this goes.

13. Vangar

Vangar

Oh my god! Super excited for this one!! I got the same excitement vibes from this trailer as the Sonic Mania trailer! I know you guys in the US weren't as attached to the master system as the rest of the world, but this is a fantastic platformer. Having it remade like this is a dream come true on par with Sonic Mania.

Great work team, amazing! Can't wait to play the final and the new levels have me excited too.

They mentioned a new way to fight bosses - we may actually fight them properly this time instead of just playing paper scissors rock. Probably the only thing that hasnt aged well in this game. I used to just have a list of all the right ones to do.

14. RDNexus

RDNexus

My brother and I played that game lots on the Master System as kids.
    It was quite the shocker to see such on oldie get quite the treatment.
    We may get this one mainly for nostalgia's sake, it's looking great :D

SEGA should give a chance to more fangame developers.
    Heck! The Sonic and Phantasy Star Classics could get this treatment!
    The likes of Sonic2HD and Phantasy Star generations, for example...

15. camcommunicates

camcommunicates

I saw this announcement scrolling through Facebook and I was so happy. I love this game and I don't think there is game quite like it.

I have met people throughout the years who would not call themselves gamers (or at most just casual gamers) and shockingly they had a connection with this game. It is one of those games that was never really talked about, but everyone still knew it. If they didn't know it by Alex Kidd, it would be 'the game you played if you turned on the Master System with no game in it'. I still think that is one the greatest things SEGA did business wise in the 8-16 bit era. It would have helped a lot of parents unknowingly as there would have been some that just bought a Master System with a bad game or none at all. To have a great game built in benefited SEGA, the Alex Kidd IP and every kid that got a MS.

There was definitely a missed opportunity in SEGA's prime to not have this as a secondary mascot to Sonic (like how Donkey Kong became next to Mario). It was a great platformer and brand. If they price this DX one right and market it correctly, I think it could be quite successful.

16. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    Never played Alex Kidd. Perhaps I will be now, this looks genuinely incredible.

17. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Another one Sega doesn't want to publish.

I mean I guess it doesn't matter, but it's a curious business decision. As it was with Streets of Rage 4. And the Panzer Dragoon remake.

18. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    I'm guessing they're just trying to save money. Other companies pay Sega to use the IP.

19. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Gotta say that I'm a fan of how they refined Alex's design over these two years:
    2018:
    [​IMG]
    2020:
    [​IMG]

Felt a bit too "wild" earlier, I think.

20. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

I think it’s really cool that they’re remaking this, and if they change the boss fights I might have to get it. The one thing that majorly let Alex Kidd down was it’s random Rock Paper Scissors games which (as far as I know) didn’t rely on any skill but purely chance. Personally this ruined the game for me and I never got very far in it at all though I thought the platforming sections were pretty good if a bit stiff with the whole punching action.

That original art style looked like that Halo Reach cartoon on YouTube all those years ago, so I’m glad they changed it. Was that OneyNG come to think of it?