don't click here

where is the older "windows on ARM" beta aka WOA with internet explorer 9?

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by vexatious, May 31, 2020.

1. vexatious

vexatious

Banned
    Might be available from MSDN and maybe some github users have it, but I'm not able to join at the moment.

Does anyone know where this can be found? This's the older version of Windows 8 on ARM before R.T. which supposedly has the older start menu without "Windows Store" system. Probably has more in common with "Windows 7". Internet explorer 9 on ARM was also included or uploaded with this sometime in 2011.

Thanks.

2. Sappharad

Sappharad

Oldbie
    Hopefully this link isn't tied to my MSDN account (which doesn't exist anymore BTW, they replaced MSDN with "Visual Studio subscriptions").
    https://download.microsoft.com/down...511B/Visual_Studio_by_Subscription_Level.xlsx

That's a list of everything you can get from the former MSDN. None of the Windows on ARM stuff is available there. You can still get Windows 3.1, but Windows ARM was either never offered there or it was removed. On a related note, I actually grabbed Windows 3.1 from there last week to try and use it in a Virtual Machine but it comes as a self extracting EXE with raw files so you literally need to get them into a floppy disk image manually to even use them.

3. vexatious

vexatious

Banned
    Ok thanks for the update. It sounds like many changes have occurred since Microsoft partnered with github (hopefully for the better).

Unfortunately it seems ActiveX has been completely removed from latest Internet Explorer. Think some features were missing after 9. Windows 8.1 ARM RT includes 11.

If someone can help me find "Internet Explorer 9" for ARM that'd be great. Thanks!

4. Sappharad

Sappharad

Oldbie
    I don't think you're going to.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_RT#History

Based on the article, Windows on ARM was only used by Microsoft to demo prototype hardware and never actually released.

5. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    IE for ARM was included with Windows RT. You'll probably want to rip it of that version.

6. vexatious

vexatious

Banned
    "Internet Explorer 9 ARM"

7. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    Windows RT is ARM-based and again, it comes with Internet Explorer. It also features the old IE9 mode compatibility layer. So you either disassemble the contents there or live without it.

You won't be getting any better replies acting like a dick, though, trust me.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List