don't click here

Sonic 3 A.I.R. Release Thread

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by 360, Apr 7, 2019.

1. TheOcelot

TheOcelot

Scooty Puff Jr sucks! Member
    Eukaryot, thanks for adding the original level select from the original version of Sonic 3 & Knuckles. This allows you (among other things) to play both the unused 8th special stage from Sonic 3 and S&K. I know I asked you to add the unused 8th special stages from Sonic 3 and S&K so I appreciate you adding the original level select :thumbsup:

Last edited: Apr 19, 2020
  2. Sappharad

Sappharad

Oldbie
    Just a reminder of my offer from many pages back. If you ever want to release source for the engine itself, either publicly or privately, I'll attempt a macOS port.

3. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!

So this is cool. Sonic 3 AIR is being used in a GDQ run. This is becoming the defacto version of Sonic 3 and Knuckles.

Apparently this run was considered a World Record for the category... but I feel like I could do better lol.

EDIT: Unrelated thought. But maybe at least in Knuckles & Tails mode, Tails should be piloting the tornado in the ending sequence rather than Sonic.

EDIT 2: Related edit. Maybe add a speed run timer to display your overall run time in game (like a full runtime clock on the bottom right, or an end of game results screen like in Mania Plus).

Last edited: May 2, 2020
    • Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 4
    • List
  4. RetroJordan91

RetroJordan91

The REAL Blue Sphere Guy Member
    I recently downloaded Sonic 3 AIR and tried it out to see what all of the buzz is about and I gotta say it’s very good.. just what I wanted in a 3&K remaster (especially the achievements )

Is there any news about a version of AIR for MacOS computers (without using Wine etc)? My Windows laptop is finally giving way and I got a new MacBook Air (with macOS Catalina) so I would love to play this on my MacBook

5. Rudie Radio Waves

Rudie Radio Waves

Italy
    Many a game.
    As far as I remember, a Mac version might be planned.
    For now, though, just try it with Wine.

6. RetroJordan91

RetroJordan91

Unfortunately my Mac has the Catalina OS so Wine does not work with it.. any other solutions?

7. Rudie Radio Waves

Rudie Radio Waves

Italy
    Many a game.
    I'm no Mac expert, unfortunately -my experience ends with OS X 10.6.8- but you could try building it yourself: https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/373851/how-to-get-wine-working-on-catalina

If that doesn't work, I think using a VM might be your best bet.

8. RetroJordan91

RetroJordan91

Gotcha.. have to try both options along with Crossover 19 and see which one would be more easier

9. Eukaryot

Eukaryot

Tech Member
    Sonic 3 A.I.R.
    Without spoiling too much, I can say that there will be news on the native macOS version very soon!

10. RetroJordan91

RetroJordan91

OMG!! Thank you so much!! Now I’m hyped.. just praying it will be functional for the new Catalina OS

Last edited: May 28, 2020
  11. Sappharad

Sappharad

Oldbie
    Sonic 3 A.I.R. is now available for macOS 10.9 and later. (Including Catalina)

Download the first preview release here: https://projects.sappharad.com/s3air_mac/

Any Mac made since 2009 (and most in 2008) should be capable of running this. All Macs should have full support for Hardware mode, so the only way to get into Software/Failsafe mode would be with a config change. Controller support, mod support, and everything else should be intact. There's also an optional download for the development version. The binaries are code signed and notarized by Apple, so you don't need to bypass any security settings. Huge thanks to Eukaryot for allowing me to port this, and for making it easy by using libraries that were already multi-platform.

The Steam version of Sonic 3 & Knuckles is used just like on Windows. Despite the big warning message on the store page, the Steam version of S3&K does work with Catalina. Sega just hasn't updated the store page to mark the game as compatible and all older releases display that message by default. I've only been able to test on a 2018 Mac Mini, a 2015 MacBook Pro, and older OS versions via VMWare so far so if anyone runs into problems please share additional information about what OS version you're running.

Enjoy!

12. Rudie Radio Waves

Rudie Radio Waves

Italy
    Many a game.
    That's incredible news!! Great job on this port!

13. RetroJordan91

RetroJordan91

OMG!! 2 days after Eukaryot posted the good news, the MacOS port is here!! You folks are amazing.. can’t wait to download it!! My body is ready to play through this again!

14. RetroJordan91

RetroJordan91

I’ll keep an eye out for bugs if I find anything but thank you so much!!

Last edited: May 31, 2020
  15. Sappharad

Sappharad

Oldbie
    If anyone runs into anything that you believe is specific to macOS, feel free to tag me on Discord, Twitter, post here, or whatever. I only have 3 Macs to test with and 2 are the same model, so aside from running older OS versions in a virtual machine I can only test so many situations. We had one report of a potential problem but the guy later responded that everything worked fine after he rebooted his Mac.

If you're on Catalina you also have the advantage of native bluetooth support for PS4 and Xbox One controllers built into the OS. I have tested both controllers paired wirelessly and they both work great. For wired controllers and older OS versions, the PS4 controller should work on all supported macOS versions back to 10.9 over USB but an Xbox controller will need 3rd party drivers installed to work. You're sort of on your own for other controllers. Standard USB controllers should all work out of the box, but if they are Xinput based you need the same third party drivers that would be needed for Xbox controllers.

16. RetroJordan91

RetroJordan91

Hello Sappharad,

I had an interesting glitch appear when playing the special stages. I had the tweaks set to Randomized Special Stages and when I failed my first 4 attempts on a normal game, the results screen glitches out during the score add up and when the level title card reappears, but after that, the screen returned to normal.

When I changed the special stages to the original and started a new file, the glitch didn’t happen, and then once I changed the special stages back to random, the glitch didn’t happen again.

I knew I should have taken a screenshot once I saw it; if it happens again I’ll post it here.

17. Sappharad

Sappharad

Oldbie
    I think I know what you're talking about and I've seen it before. If there were places where the screen should be blank and you see trails of what was there previously, I've seen that before. It's rather uncommon (since it only happens where the screen would usually be blank like title cards) and hard to reproduce easily so I haven't been able to track down the cause. If it bothers you, switching to "OpenGL Software" in the Options menu under Graphics will cause it to not happen. You'll still have filters and other graphics settings available, there's not really any disadvantage that I know of to switching into that mode.

If you ever find an easy way to always trigger the problem, it will be easier to track down but there seems to be something specific that breaks clearing the screen. Thanks for mentioning that though, I sort of forgot about it because it rarely happens.

18. RetroJordan91

RetroJordan91

It hasn’t happened to me again since this morning..I’ll continue to keep an eye out for it along with any other bugs.. other than that, fantastic port and great job!! Thank you!

19. Eukaryot

Eukaryot

Tech Member
    Sonic 3 A.I.R.
    I just stumbled across a glitch with similar if not the same symptoms - i.e. the screen not being cleared when it should be.
    The glitch gets "activated" on Windows when switching to OpenGL Software Renderer and then back to OpenGL Hardware; a restart will fix it again. This seems to be fully reproducible so far. I'd guess it's the same on Mac as well, and if so, it could be possible that this exactly the issue you are referring to. In any case, I'll take a look into that tomorrow.

20. giovanni.gen

giovanni.gen

It's still Joe-vanni, not Geo-vanni. Member
    Italy
    Sonic Hacking Contest
    I've found no footage of this rather game breaking glitch on the Internet, so I made mine. To trigger this glitch, you need to have Tails assist and Tails Flight Cancel on. Let Tails fly until he gets tired, press Down + Jump, then press Up + Jump and Tails will start flying again. Works only with Tails assist, and does not work when Tails is being controlled (Playing as Tails or having Tails as a second player).

Footage:

• Informative Informative x 2
    • List