don't click here

"Fog computing" inititive announced for Sega arcade machines

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by The Joebro64, May 27, 2020.

1. Wildcat

Wildcat

I don’t see them competing with the 3 main console companies either but it does sound like some kind of hardware. Sounds like a pretty big deal either way.

I assume Sega knows how to emulate the Saturn. They made it. Still that’s not “revolutionary” but a emulator style console fully compatible with original disc/carts would be really cool.

2. Rudie Radio Waves

Rudie Radio Waves

Italy
    Many a game.
    God I would SOOO buy this. I'll take any chance to play OG NiGHTS.

3. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    Me. SEGA haven't been the same since they went third-party. And if they go back to trends, their exclusives would be several new IPs, same as they did with the other consoles. One can only wish they'd have learned from that error and opt to develop prior IPs on the new systems as well, rather than letting them languish with the consoles in question.

Note: Not saying I think it is a new console, only that I would want one.

4. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    There's already some discussion about this in the general questions thread. Perhaps they should be merged?

5. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Done. I wish people had bothered to check the other thread before making this one but never mind =P

6. doc eggfan

doc eggfan

Are you pondering what I'm pondering? Wiki Sysop
    ACT
    GreatMegaLD, GreatSC3k, Great SG1k
  7. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    Sega couldn't put Sonic CD in Mega Collection and couldn't put Knuckles Chaotix in Gems.

8. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

The inner machinations of the Saturn are an enigma.

9. Wildcat

Wildcat

Oh thanks for the link. I had not seen that.

CD was on Gems Collection and Chaotix was 2D so those specific games I don’t see why it’d be a problem but I can understand cost for no Saturn mini. Like they could do it but it’s too expensive to be worth it.

10. Mookey

Mookey

CD on Gems Collection was just a port of the Win95 version, and a botched port at that (Tidal Tempest's water lacking color transparency being one of the most glaring issues). As far as I know Sega has yet to release an emulated version of Sonic CD in a commercial product.

11. Wildcat

Wildcat

Oh I wasn’t aware there was a big difference. Is there or is it just minor technical stuff? (Sorry I know it’s probably been explained a lot before).

Still CD and Chaotix were not Saturn games. What do they have to do with Saturn emulation? Or were these just examples of why they wouldn’t?

12. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    It's an example of how SEGA won't simply know how to make Saturn emulation work, as they couldn't make the emulation work for individual games let alone a full console.

13. ItsBrieDude

ItsBrieDude

my brain is the spinning seal gif Member
    Keep in mind that Mega/Gems collection were released nearly 18 Years Ago. Sega's expertise in emulation has no doubt improved in that time, and low-powered ARM chips are now more powerful than the consoles of that era. We shouldn't judge what Sega can do today based on what they could do two decades ago.

I think a more reasonable comparison would be what M2 has been doing with the recent Sega Ages releases. Their Genesis/Mega Drive emulation has been fairly top-notch, and their source port of Model 1 games like Virtua Racing have been equally excellent. I think that with the assistance of M2, Sega could pull off Saturn and even Dreamcast emulation. Heck, The Raspberry Pi 4 has already proven itself powerful enough to emulate Dreamcast, and Sega would likely be using similar-caliber hardware for a mini-console.

14. The Claw

The Claw

Well, isn't most of what Sega could or couldn't do just speculation?
    I don't think I'm aware of a confirmed attempt by a bona fide Sega employee to code a Saturn emulator.

15. Wildcat

Wildcat

I mean I’m sure they could if they really wanted to but if it’s too expensive for a mass produced mini that’s understandable.

A Sega CD and Chaotix port can obviously be done on anything now so I don’t think that should be an example of why they couldn’t or wouldn’t.

Not that Saturn would be easy I just do not think it’s a good example because it’s a totally separate system and CD is widely available. For whatever reason they haven’t done Chaotix yet.

16. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    There is no emulated version of Sonic CD that is widely available. Taxman's version is a remake of the game.

Sega has shown no proof that they could emulate the Sega CD or 32X, let alone Saturn.

17. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    Well, Taxman was a fan who approached SEGA with his engine and proposal of a remake, if I recall correctly.

So if we want a SEGA Saturn Mini soon, someone's going to have to learn to code one to work on a cheap device and propose it to SEGA.

18. big smile

big smile

Oldbie
    Back in 2003, Sega had a press event for the addition of Saturn games (including NiGHTS, Panzer Dragoon Zwei and Clockwork Knight) to it's B-Club service, which used emulation to run these games on PC (The service already had Mega-CD games). They brought out Yuji Naka who was photographed playing the Saturn games and seemed impressed by the emulation.

However, Green Gibbon! webmaster of the Ghz who spent an insane amount of time researching these things was certain the Saturn games never came out despite the big press splash, so.....

19. Wildcat

Wildcat

Ok I checked the wiki because I didn’t know the details. So the Gems version has some graphic and sound effect errors because the Gamecube and PS2 would have had to emulate both the CD and Genesis. So I guess it was just easier to port the PC version with some updates.

That’s not an unreasonable choice. Why emulate the SegaCD for 1 game? I understand it bothers some people but I don’t mind. That might be a factor in Chaotix not getting a port yet. Emulating the 32X for 1 game probably wouldn’t be enough to do it.

I still don’t think that’s an indication of whether they care about or can do Saturn emulation. A Saturn mini or Collection would be a different thing because there’d be more games involved. It’d be the whole point...then they would probably do it. As long as it was affordable of course.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2020
  20. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

From what I've gathered, Saturn emulation in general is notoriously difficult. Also, I think Sega HAS figured out 32X emulation in the past, since Knuckles' Chaotix was available via GameTap between 2005 and 2009.