don't click here

SEGA launches the Sonic 2020 project, promises to release Sonic news on the 20th of every month

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by DreamsComeBlue, Jan 20, 2020.

1. BlueSpeedsterYT

BlueSpeedsterYT

Now rendered in full 3D Member
    I would heavily doubt it, it might be related to Sonic, it might be not, it depends if SEGA are going to say anything regarding it.
    Or it could just be an announcement regarding Persona 5 Scramble coming to the West. Anything can happen.

2. Wafer

Wafer

Find me on Twitter instead Member
    Y'know what? I'm just gonna wait until Twitter goes wild because a new game has been announced. It's easier than trying to guess when Sonic Team will make an announcement.

3. The American stream happened today and they mentioned being able to talk about something soon, but tempered expectations saying it isn't a huge announcement but matches up along the lines of other SXSW announcements. Curious what it is.

4. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

We previously had the TSR teaser, Mania Adventures, TSR Overdrive, Forces gameplay/title/theme reveal... what else am I missing? There's been other small reveals regarding games that we already knew about, particularly Mania. I definitely don't think that a new animated short is out of the question, which would be awesome to see. But yeah, no idea what to actually expect. Something small, nothing major. Something that'll be "oh hey, that's neat" and not a game. I'm okay with that.

5. I think for now, it's for the best to keep expectations low for the new game.

I would love to have more remix though.

6. Karia

Karia

I did read somewhere that Sega or Sonic Team said that 2021 will be Sonic's year a while ago, but I wasn't aware that every 20 of the month, there'll be Sonic News :o

I'm really happy about it and curious to see how things will unfold ^^

If they said that 2021 will be Sonic's year, maybe that mean a game is on the way? Or perhaps another movie/anime? I guess we can only wait and see ^^

7. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    I'm hoping we get a Sonic game by EveningStar in 2021, but I'm starting to worry it won't happen.

8. Rudie Radio Waves

Rudie Radio Waves

Italy
    Many a game.
    Honestly, there's nothing we can do but wait. It's a bit frustrating, but hopefully it will be worth it.

9. Nova

Nova

I just try not to worry about it. Something will happen when it happens. Though if we didn't get something big by the end of the year, I would be shocked.

10. Wafer

Wafer

I really doubt that EveningStar/Headcannon (I cannot keep these studios straight in my head) want to be pigeonholed as the "Other Sonic Team". Pinning their success on a single brand that isn't even their own (even if it were Sonic) isn't something I would do in their shoes.

That being said... if it's a Classic Sonic game you're after, I wouldn't be surprised if Sonic Team were to have a crack at developing one internally. Mania has proven there's demand, so if Sonic Team can come up with some new level themes and designs, it would only (haha) be a case of putting together a development pipeline and an engine (maybe they'd even license the Star Engine or something). Sonic Team can probably muster the resources and talent if they wanted to do that. They're a triple-A multi-platform studio (no really, I forget sometimes) and they'll have people with the necessary skill set.

I wouldn't mind. As much as I appreciate the passion that was put into Mania, I don't think that passion is exclusive to the Mania devs.

Or... maybe they're releasing whatever 3D game they started developing immediately after they wrapped up Forces. Who knows.

And now, I really am going to stop speculating, I only risk disappointing myself.

Last edited: May 22, 2020
  11. Sid Starkiller

Sid Starkiller

Virginia, USA
    Paying off student loans
    You actually would trust Sonic Team, MODERN SONIC TEAM, to do Mania 2?

I would rather never get a follow-up than see Sonic Team fuck it up.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  12. Wafer

Wafer

I'm just willing to give them the benefit of doubt is all. It's not beyond my belief that Sonic Team could learn from the success of Mania, as well as from the mixed reactions to their own releases. Aaron's stated specifically that part of the reason for the lack of information right now is that they're putting more time into development than they did up until Forces. That's no guarantee of quality, but it is encouraging.

13. Sid Starkiller

Sid Starkiller

Virginia, USA
    Paying off student loans
    Can't tell you not to, but after Lost World, they used up all my BOTD. But you do you.

14. qwertysonic

qwertysonic

creating the biggest sonic collection
    I have total faith that Sonic Team doesn't have a clue what made Mania a success.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  15. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    How do you know they don't? And if you answer "Forces", then you're forgetting that Forces was already like three years in development by the time work on Mania started. Their attempts to tie Mania into Forces were very last-minute.

16. qwertysonic

qwertysonic

I said faith...

17. Sid Starkiller

Sid Starkiller

Virginia, USA
    Paying off student loans
    Aside from him specifically using the word "faith", what makes you think they do?

18. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    I misread the initial post, my apologies

19. Diablohead

Diablohead

Indie dev Oldbie
    Near London
    games
    This next game will show if they know or not, and hopefully if its a 3D title they don't script every single boost pad and slope.

20. qwertysonic

qwertysonic

It's the recent focus on classic artwork (and green hill zone) nostalgia in general. The way they marketed Mania: "Classic Sonic is Back!" Obviously it's a marketing thing, but Sega is going about this like they thought the reason mania was good is because it had classic looking Sonic in nostalgic scenes instead of because the engine was fun and intuitive and the level design was good.