don't click here

Sonic Delta 40Mb

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Esrael, Mar 9, 2020.

1. Esrael

Esrael

Neto Tech Member
    Brazil, São Paulo, Guarulhos
    Neto Assembler Editor / Sonic 2 Delta / Neto MD-DOS
    Thanks. This will be done in next release.

2. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    Esrael, I would like to record a gameplay video of your hack and post it on my youtube channel, is that ok for you? I waited a few weeks before I mentioned this idea because I noticed some bug reports in this topic and I wanted to record such a video from a stable release, but it now seems that the current release is stable enough, what do you think? Do you plan to overhaul something important in the near future?

Thanks.

3. Esrael

Esrael

Neto Tech Member
    In the first time, I am fixing reported issues, but I am planning some revisions to Lost Levels (Wood / Winter Hill). The HPz and Genocide City got some updates in the recent updates.

About gameplay video, It's ok to me.

4. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    Thank you for your quick reply. I will wait some more time then, until you finish the improved layouts :)

Keep up the good work, best regards.

5. Esrael

Esrael

Neto Tech Member
    New Build released ( Sonic Delta v0.39 ) / Hardware

What's New?
    - Reverted the ROM Header to default "SEGA GENESIS" to avoid conflict with some emulators;
    - Fixed Winter Hill Boss Collision;
    - New Winter Hill;
    - Perfect Bonus test ok, for both new Winter Hill acts;
    - Now, Miles will change to his victory pose after Sonic or Knuckles enters on Big Ring in Sonic 1 and Sonic 2 Levels.

Hint:
    - The Perfect Bonus in the Sonic 2 Special Stage is given if you do not hit any bombs and complete the stage (You must protect Miles too in the cooperative mode).

Best regards:
    --------------
    Neto.

6. Hitaxas

Hitaxas

Retro 80's themed Twitch streamer ( on hiatus) Member
    Very interesting stuff. I only played around with GHZ 1, and already found a few issues pertaining to the victory pose at the end of a level.
    1. the right side of the screen doesn't lock, meaning you can run off screen and never see the pose.
    2. If Sonic is in his victory pose, and Tails has not re-spawned or isn't on the ground with him, the game will soft lock.

7. Greenknight9000

Greenknight9000

I love this new update!
    There are a few issues still:
    This version no longer works with BizHawk

the checkered tiles in Winter Hill do hurt my eyes a bit, perhaps make them a little larger or make a unique pattern!

Genocide City as a whole. It's actually supposed to be Cyber City, I also feel like this Zone also could use a fresh revamp as well.

Knuckles' sprite when he's knocked onto the floor is bugged

Super Sonic idle sprites still only use 2 frames of animation, rather than 3.

Attached Files:

8. Esrael

Esrael

Neto Tech Member
    About BizHawk, you need update the emulator. ( https://github.com/TASVideos/BizHawk/issues/695#issuecomment-624965422 )
    The older version of Sonic Delta has SSF Header which work partially with BizHawk (No SRAM support).
    After removing the SSF Header from the ROM, the game no longer works with that version but if you update the emulator the game will work with save support.

Best regards:
    --------------
    Neto.

9. Sappharad

Sappharad

Oldbie
    I don't know if the most recent release fixes it, they are probably waiting for me to submit the code changes. Sorry for the delay. It will happen eventually if natt hasn't already done it.

10. Esrael

Esrael

Neto Tech Member
    Fixed, please download New Build ( Sonic Delta v0.39a ) / Hardware

1 - Changed Screen Lock
    2 - The Results Screen no Longer wait for Miles.

- Added Victory pose to Players in Sonic 1 and Sonic 2 Levels.

1 - Fixed. This Is hard to get, because only occurs if you go to boss before Title Card Objects are unloaded.

Best regards:
    --------------
    Neto.

Last edited: May 31, 2020
  11. Hey there! I love how this project is coming along so far! I’ve been playing this hack constantly during this quarantine lockdown, and it’s been a lot of fun!

Here’s a few bugs I’ve found in the most recent build:

Elemental Shields do not reflect enemy projectiles in S1/S2 Zones

1-Up Monitors in S2 Hidden Palace act 1 do not function.

Pressing B at anytime on Stage Select before selecting a Zone will usually result in the game attempting to load in split-screen mode, which crashes the game.

Sound FF on the S3/S&K level select screen is corrupted and does not play properly.

The S3 Mini Boss music is slightly glitched, with one of the instruments in the song stopping after a few seconds.

The Competition menu graphics are glitched after pressing Start+A in any S1 or S2 Zone.

Overall, this is a really awesome passion project! Keep up the amazing work, because this hack is something truly special!

12. Esrael

Esrael

Neto Tech Member
    New Build released ( Sonic Delta v0.40 ) / Hardware

The following errors was fixed:
    - Locking the screen in previous build, does not allow the completion of the Sky Chase;
    - Fixed a rare problem, where the game can hangs, after getting a Game Over for Time Over and having at least one continue;
    - Knuckles alone continue screen;
    - Mapper initialization when exiting from a Sonic 1 and Sonic 2 level using A+START in debug mode, resulting in Competition Menu corruption, due to incorrect data read;
    - Sound $FF in Sonic 3 menu now plays correctly;
    - S3 Mini Boss sound fixed;
    - Object subtype change for 1 up monitor in Hidden Palace (S2). Now, player is awarded with an extra life;
    - Miles no longer get invincibility item, when in super form;

And
    -Now Miles can be Super in Sonic 3K Levels with seven Emeralds and Hyper with all super emeralds.
    - The game now has a custom serial number, making this compatible with BlastEm ( https://www.retrodev.com/blastem/nightlies/blastem64-0.6.3-pre-0cbc456972c9.tar.gz ).

Best regards:
    --------------
    Neto.

13. BahamutVoid

BahamutVoid

Hidden Palace Refugee Member
    Just want to let you know how amazing this project is, I've been having a blast with it over the last few days.

Apart from a few bugs here and there (which, reading over the previous posts, have already been fixed), I've got no real complaints.

Considering the unique scope of this project, specifically how it transitions from Sonic 2 to 3, have you thought about implementing the cut surfboard intro for Angel Island? As of now you arrive on the island as Super Sonic and lose your emeralds due to Knuckles, even if you have never acquired any. It'd cool to see this implemented because this is the only project I can see it having game-play/story integration rather than just restoring the cut-scene over the normal one. It's been covered in-depth on this website so I hope it isn't asking too much: https://info.sonicretro.org/SCHG_How-to:Restore_Surfboard_Intro_to_Sonic_3_Alone
    Here's a video from when it was still in-game if that helps:

Special thanks to you for all the recent emulator support, it's been much easier to recommend to all my friends.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2020
  14. I'm curious if you'll ever implement Act & level transitions/cutscenes.

That'll really make this whole thing feel like a complete game.

15. Hitaxas

Hitaxas

Retro 80's themed Twitch streamer ( on hiatus) Member
    I second both of these. As for the S3 intro, if Sonic were to also keep his S2 sprites for both "running on water as super Sonic" and "surfboarding as normal Sonic" then change to Sonic 3's sprites when he is hidden in the foliage, that would also be a neat addition to it. :)

16. Esrael

Esrael

Neto Tech Member
    New Build released ( Sonic Delta v0.41 ) / Hardware

What's new?
    -Fixed an issue where sometimes Knuckles can´t advance to Musshrom Valley after defeating Launch Base Boss;
    -Fixed some path issues in Emerald Hill Act 1;
    -Fixed Super Sonic music resuming to invincibility theme after cutscenes for Sonic 3 & Knuckles levels;
    -Fixed Monitor heights in Sonic 1 and Sonic 2 Levels;
    -Added boss life meter for Sonic 3 & Knuckles bosses;
    -Changed boss life meter behaviour;
    -Small change to Title Cards behaviour in Sonic 1 and Sonic 2 Levels;
    -Added some Sonic 1 and Sonic 2 Levels to Demo Mode and restored Mushroom Valley to Demo Mode.

Best regards:
    --------------
    Neto.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2020
  17. Esrael

Esrael

Neto Tech Member
    New Build released ( Sonic Delta v0.41c ) / Hardware

-Fixed an error with rotating platforms in Labyrinth (This was caused by a change in some variables in build 0.41);
    -Fixed data alignment for Knuckles art in Hidden Palace acting as boss, when he was knocked out;
    -Fixed the Knuckles icon color in boss life meter, where, in some instance, he appear blue.

Best regards:
    --------------
    Neto.

18. Esrael

Esrael

Neto Tech Member
    New Build released ( Sonic Delta v0.43a ) / Hardware

-Fixed an issue in the Big Arms boss, where if Knuckles is catch by the boss and Miles defeat the boss, Knuckles remains spinning forever and can´t finish the level;
    -Restored Big Arms boss for Sonic / Miles in Launch Base 2;
    -Added "BONUS STAGE" Title Card for Sonic 1 Special Stage;
    -Fixed the sound for access S1 Special Stage where the sound is not played if you access from a Sonic 3K Level.
    -Fixed a small glitch during S1 Special Stage Load;
    -Fixed a respawn behaviour with Big Ring in Sonic 1 and Sonic 2 Levels. In some cases they don´t appear;
    -Added a Big Ring to Scrap Brain Act 1.

Best regards:
    --------------
    Neto.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2020
  19. ABBB7802-65D7-49A9-B6E0-61B408B70638.jpeg The game no longer seems to boot on RetroArchGX, which ran every other version of the game that I’ve tested just fine. Now I’m just getting this error message upon starting the game.

20. Esrael

Esrael

Neto Tech Member
    The previous version run with SRAM support on RretroArchGx? Because in this version the game check If SEGA Mapper has fully functional and if one of its features fail, the game throw Mapper Exception Failure.