don't click here

What approach should 3D Sonic take next?

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by The Joebro64, Mar 23, 2020.

1. BadBehavior

BadBehavior

I think the Sonic storybook series would be much better served using Pride and Prejudice instead
    [/QUOTE]
    That is something literary scholars debate to this day.
    I now very much want Sonic and Pride and Prejudice as the fourth entry in the Storybook Series.
    [/QUOTE]

In a sensible world, I want to see a Sonic + Greek mythology storybook game. In my twisted, perverse mind, I want to see a Sonic + JoJo's Bizarre Adventure storybook game. Sonic unlocks his stand called [HIS WORLD] and has to go through the entire story.

2. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    That actually was supposed to be the third Storybook game before it was canceled. And, just to make things clear,
    Sonic and the Fifty Shades of Grey
    should be the next Storybook game if the series is revived.

3. RDNexus

RDNexus

Fourth? Which one was the third?

And what's that about a Greek Mythology Storybook game?

4. Frostav

Frostav

There are SO many cool ideas in SA1 that are hamstrung by the team's inexperience and the dreamcast's limited hardware. You can tell the same people who made the Genesis trilogy made it because each level is a wildly unique locale filled with gimmicks like the 2D games. While SA2 is the one I have nostalgia for, it's actually shocking how dramatically the level design goals changed in that game from SA1. There's basically no level in SA2 like Sky Deck for instance. While replaying the game on PC a few months ago I was taken aback by how crazy that level must have seemed to people playing it for the first time, with its setpieces and grand scale. Shit must have been mindblowing to people who were familiar with Mario 64 and Banjo and the like. Not to mention, the level design was often much less hallway-ish, at least in the sense that you often were going in circles or up and down in a way SA2's levels basically never do.

I want to see Sonic Team do stuff like that again, or Speed Highway slowly circling down the city's skyscrapers to the roads below, all that stuff. I want the levels to feel like huge grand locales filled with creative gimmicks, split into acts (even if not literally split) where each "act" feels like a completely different level and yet part of the same space. Man, imagine if, to use one example, City Escape was split between the boarding section, a more residential district, and finally an oceanfront area where it ended. That would have been cool. Or maybe take the park in the middle and make it a much larger part of the level.

If they do bring them back, though, I'd hope that they'd understand why some people like me obsess over this tiny part of Adventure. Likewise, there probably should be a BIT more to do with them--as it stands the Chao garden appeals most heavily to one kind of person: people like me who just obsessively breed fifty million of the cute fuckers to have a whole rainbow of colors, and while I love that...I'd like a bit more to do with them then just run a borderline-eugenics program where I make two Chao mate 12 times over until they make a baby with the color I want and throw away the other 11 :V

5. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun

OVER THE TOP TECHNO-BLAST Member
    Buffalo, NY, USA
    The Water
    Don't forget the DLC, Sonic and Pride and Prejudice and Knuckles

6. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

Just to re-emphasize:

7. Antheraea

Antheraea

Bug Hunter Member
    AM2R did not take anything unaltered though, especially given that it was a remake of a monochrome GB game...

And for claiming that Nintendo isn't as stringent, the talks in archival communities around even the Pokemon SpaceWorld ROMs from a few years ago said otherwise. Serebii wouldn't even mention on his site, explicitly because he did not want to face legal pressures from Nintendo.

-

Re: "everyone wants SA3"...lol no they don't. Mania was the game that exploded outside our insular circles, because people who didn't have a dreamcast, or were old enough to have one, or thought the other 3D games looked like ass (because they do. even watching gameplay footage of Sonic Generations doesn't look like it feels great or appealing, even if it plays better), can see the appeal and enjoyment of a game like Mania. Old people like us would like SA3 - and what would it be for aside from people who constantly try to pine for an older, "better" time? What is the appeal of a game like Sonic Adventure 3 to people who don't care for the original Sonic Adventures, which is a lot of people?

Sonic Adventure's time has long since passed, and just because they had any "quality" to them back then doesn't mean an SA3 would now.

Last edited: May 2, 2020
  8. Gestalt

Gestalt

Sphinx in Chains Member
    Wouldn't it be easier if someone just said "Please make your next game a big hit!" and leave it at that? Let's have a poll and call it a day... Who's your all-time favourite character and why? I'm just kidding...

1. Get lots of good reviews
    2. Gain lots of new fans (and don't forget about the old ones!)
    3. Sell millions of copies

I guess it's not as complicated as I thought...

I wish Forces wasn't such a failure. Unfortunately it controls like shit and can't be taken seriously. I miss the times when tight controls action-driven stories still existed...

9. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Chao Gardens as a mobile app makes perfect sense and it's insane that Sega still hasn't done it.

As a thing in the main game again? Dear god no. I never bothered with them beyond the mandatory in SA1 and 2 and I don't want to now.

10. Frostav

Frostav

I don't want a chao garden app because it'd inevitably be a watered down thing stuffed with microtransactions. Like I use a goddamn cheat engine editor to speed up the garden and I LIKE it! I don't even like the vanilla garden gameplay! I have to use a mod that basically triples the content and an editor to give myself rings because screw spending five billion city escape replays just to get enough money to buy eggs or buying fifty heart fruit to run my eugenics programs.

Hell, I don't even trust Sonic Team to get a chao garden in a hypothetical SA1 remake or SA3 right. If the former happens they'd probably go SO FAR into remaking the dreamcast game exactly they'll use its far worse system than the gamecube ones that added so much (for those unaware: colored chao weren't a thing until SA2B, and breeding for colors is my favorite thing about it).

11. Gestalt

Gestalt

Sphinx in Chains Member
    ^That's basically what I did. The one thing I never liked about the Chao Garden is the ring / Chao Drive farming. You must actively look for good grinding spots, but even then, it takes forever (2 days non-stop City Escape, to be precise, until I finally had enough rings / emblems to buy the Maria theme). As for a mobile app, I'm not so fond of the idea as a standalone thing, but a companion app ala Fallout 4 would be pretty dope.

12. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

AM2R is literally just Metroid 2. Nintendo has an official Metroid 2 remake, of course they wouldn't want a free version available for everyone with a decent computer. Also I have no idea what you're talking about with the Pokémon stuff.

13. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun

OVER THE TOP TECHNO-BLAST Member
    Buffalo, NY, USA
    The Water
    It would be cool if you could connect your ring count from whatever recent Sonic game to the app somehow for shop currency, for those who don't want to engage in the microtransactions. But yeah, the mobile platform is quite ideal for a chao raising app. I'm not a huge fan of microtransactions, but I'd bet that people who love chao would buy little accessories for their chao. This thing would print money, and I'd rather the microtransactions be in a game like that, than in Sonic Runners or the SEGA Forever lineup.

14. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

I do think it's insane Sega hasn't made a Chao Garden mobile game, but I think part of the reason is because they're afraid one simple, stupid, yet scary, thing: Yuji Naka.

15. Frostav

Frostav

Yeah, I don't do the ring stuff legit. I farm the chaos drives with the tails/eggman stages (Prison Lane and Iron Gate are my most played levels by far because of this lol) since on the hard modes they have an absolutely silly amount of gun robots, but even then I use a mod that makes the chaos drives ten times as powerful for leveling up stats (the growths are the same, but it takes like 1-2 to level up instead of 5). And it's STILL quite long...

16. Antheraea

Antheraea

Bug Hunter Member
    It is not "literally just" metroid 2. All the assets are theirs and most of the levels are completely different from even Samus's Return (which makes playing both of them super worth it to see the differences in their approaches), let alone the original game which was derided for being a game taking place in intensely samey corridors. I would also like to add that the main dude behind it got hired professionally as a level designer after the game came out, which implies far more work and artistry than just "metroid 2 with better graphics" - all of the game was massively changed. Finally, the game was also finished and released before Nintendo even announced that they were making their own.

A couple years ago a couple of demo ROMs for Pokemon Gold/Silver came out out of the blue with no one having any idea where they had come from - TCRF was the only site to even want to document them because everyone else was too scared of Nintendo's legal team to try or uh...are bulbapedia (lol).

But, back on topic... :V

Holy shit I never even thought of this. I do wonder though, because they've leaned more into Chao recently with TSR - maybe they're kinda-sorta dipping their toes in the water to see what reaction it'd get from him?

I uh...I beat the game with no mods ahahahah. I don't really like farming chaos drives, rather I farm the animals because I prefer the SA1 version of raising chao, with animal mix and match parts and the like. The "legendary" animals also raise stats way faster than several chaos drives and in some stages you can get multiples. And of course, running through the levels meant getting a lot of rings in the process...due to the 8 chao limit, I never bought eggs because I found that I hit the limit rather fast solely with Chao breeding.

17. Gestalt

Gestalt

Sphinx in Chains Member
    No matter how you look at it, that's a lot of Chao raising for only one player! ^^

18. Frostav

Frostav

Nothing wrong with doing it legit--I don't care about medals and whatever, so I'm not gonna pretend that I'm not basically cheating XP

I don't like the animal parts so I'm all for chaos drives. Combine that with having like 20 chao in each garden and...yeah.

The more I play SA2, the more I realize that I just do not care about 80% of the game and my reverence for it is mostly nostalgia. Not that I still don't love it, but I'm starting to become less of a "GIVE US SA3 DAMMIT" guy as I grow up because I don't want another game as uneven in quality and coherence to Sonic's core identity as SA2...

At this point I feel the chao garden, musical direction, and gameplay of the speed characters (not level design) is about all that should be salvaged from the duology. I have a feeling Sonic Team wouldn't realize that.

If anything, I'm starting to find SA1 the more authentic (one would say, the more "Sonic") of the two.

Last edited: May 3, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  19. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    Adventure 1, probably. Adventure 2, hard disagree.

You'd be surprised. I don't think there's any active members here that feel the same way, but people who do want more of the genre roulette stuff from the Adventure games are definitely out there.

20. I don't think you'd find too many so called classic fans here or elsewhere, that would disagree with the idea that SA1 was (or intended to be) a direct evolution of the classic games. A very polished version of that game, without the fluff, would likely go over very well. I count myself among those obviously and have a special place in my heart for SA1 for what it attempted to do....the same thing that has remained the most significant problem in the franchise. Translating the gameplay essence of the original games into 3D.