don't click here

Sonic Studio

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by Lapper, May 19, 2018.

1. RetroRespecter

RetroRespecter

I hate to say it, but Super Mario Maker 2 stole your idea of making older stages backgrounds.

2. gamerz31w

gamerz31w

Banned
    Is it equivalent to Super Mario Maker 1&2?

3. Klaypersonne

Klaypersonne

Lapper, I'm sure this is just a drop in the sea of praise you've been getting, but this is definitely the most exciting Sonic project currently in development. Doubly so since it would appear that Sonic Overture is a dead project given the lack of updates on the last few years.

4. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Sonic Studio, Sonic Physics Guide, Kyle & Lucy, Freedom Planet 2
    Hey! Nothing massive but here's a recent BG glowup:
    [​IMG]
    The previous:
    [​IMG]

5. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester

Original, No substitute Resident Jester
    Japan
    I am absolutely loving these backgrounds, the MHZ and SYZ ones too.

It looks like a Bob Ross painting! Hehe, you just beat the devil out of your mouse~

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  6. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    In the absence of much else to share (there's a lot, just not the right time) I decided to show one of the few new bits of artwork I created for Studio.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 27, 2020
  7. lopinjop

lopinjop

Sonic 25th Anniversary Party Enthusiast Member
    Fantastic art! Very professional work all around from this project.

8. Lilly

Lilly

United States
    Shang Mu Architect
    It's not very often I see art of Sonic himself that makes me think "Isn't that adorable?" This art is such a nice compliment to the game itself. It's hard not to appreciate it when game developers go the extra mile like this.

Every update for this game sincerely amazes me. The level of effort and passion that you've poured into every aspect of this project is inspiring, Lapper; I still can't get over how gorgeous that background for Marble Zone is, for instance. The clouds, and the sense of perspective they bring to the mountains, are so breathtaking.

What you're creating is very special in the level-making game space, and far beyond anything I could have imagined somebody pulling off so effectively in Game Maker. (I'm saying that as somebody who's been using it for 16 years.) I haven't said much in this thread, because I don't want to sound like a broken record with all of the praise, but I really look forward to playing the first release, and seeing all of your hard work come to life.

Your fan game looks like the most compelling answer for a Sonic equivalent to Mario Maker. It's something that I pessimistically (and incorrectly) assumed couldn't be done so intuitively, all those years ago, then Sonic Studio arrives as a very strong counterpoint, proving that it can be done. To say you've blown all expectations out of the water would be an understatement.

This is absolutely going to be worth the wait. ♥️

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  9. vexatious

vexatious

Banned
    Can someone explain if GMS 2 works on Windows ARM (RT 8.1 in test mode)? Also, what exactly is the format used here? Can it be converted to other formats? Is this basically an editor for .Net framework games?

Sorry I'm not too familiar with Game Maker Studio but would like to know what target systems is this for? Is this meant to satisfy middleware?

Thanks. Some fine demos BTW thanks.

10. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
  11. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    And as expected, here's Tails' time to shine
    [​IMG]

12. fireWoods

fireWoods

Love the art you've been making for this! Nice work on the texturing/airbrushing on the Sonic and Tails arts - looks really authentic

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  13. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England

Green Hill's editor track by Jahn Davis

14. Can I just say that I love everything about this soo much?

Because I love everything about this soo much!!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  15. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2020
  16. Lostgame

Lostgame

producer/turnablist. homebrew dev. cosplayer. Oldbie
    Toronto, ON
    The O.I.C.
    Where's the lead synth? It sounds great but it's missing the main melody o.o

17. Crappy Blue

Crappy Blue

Knuckles' Chaotix is a perfect game with no flaws Member
    I'm assuming the lack of lead melody is inspired by Super Mario Maker, which does the same thing with most of its editing mode tracks. It retools the tune to be less prominent and more in the background. In Mario Maker, the editing track and the actual level track crossfade when you move to testing the level, and again, I assume that'll be happening here too.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  18. Lilly

Lilly

United States
    Shang Mu Architect
    My first assumption was also Mario Maker! And it's a very good approach to build on; mild, pleasant remixes like this are surprisingly easier on the ears after long periods of listening while editing. At first I thought I wouldn't like the remixes, but even after a little while with playing Super Mario Maker 2, it all just "clicked", and I like some of the editing versions as much as their in-game counterparts.

This is also a very pleasant remix of Green Hill, I've had it on loop for quite a while now! It's easy to tell that this will make the whole experience feel that much more professional and polished. I had just assumed the editor was going to be as quiet as any other piece of software outside of playtesting, so the extra mile taken to add editor remixes is such a nice surprise, Lapper!

(I screamed in all caps over the Tails art on Discord, by the way, it's so adorable.)

19. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Glad you like it! Jahn is one of 2 fantastic musicians I have working on this game, they are doing fantastic things. I hope to show much more soon.

I didn't post this since it's so small but here's confirmation that the editor track's "weirdness" is deliberate!

20. rata

rata

Argentina
    Trying to be useful somehow.
    This is absolutely insane.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List