don't click here

SEGA press kits, etc

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by ICEknight, Apr 6, 2020.

1. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Dreamcast Digital Presskit (Nürnberger Spielwarenmesse 1999)

Remember those Sonic Adventure concepts I published and documented a long time ago over at Sonic Database? I found the old CD where I backed them up and turns out there were many more contents inside the presskit they came from:
    • Corporate Logo
    • Hardware
    • Presse-Texte
    • Software
      • Blue Stinger
      • Climax Landers
      • Evolution
      • Sega Rally 2
      • Shenmue
      • Sonic Adventure
      • Virtua Fighter 3tb
    ...So I've just finished uploading (and converting) all of them. :oldbie:

To view the pics directly: https://www.retrolel.com/en/dreamcast-digital-presskit-nurnberger-spielwarenmesse-1999-en/
    To access the original files: https://archive.org/details/segadreamcastdigitalpresskitnurnbergerspielwarenmesse1999

Happy hunting for prototype stuff. =P

EDIT: Something neat: Certain EPS and PSD files in the Sonic Adventure folder allow you to turn on/off some shading and features in the Chao and Sonic artwork.

EDIT 2: Changed topic title to cover more things.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  2. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    I saw this turn up on archive.org the other day - I very nearly started mirroring until I noticed the name and figured you'd post it eventually ;)

3. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Yeah, I actually had some problems with the upload, hence why I didn't made it public earlier.

It looks like the web browser for managing the Internet Archive items just stops allowing to move or delete folders once it reaches a certain number of folders/files, and the replies to my emails were extremely unhelpful in the lines of "them's a lot of folders!".

...Which prompted me to just delete and upload everything again more carefully, so that I wouldn't have to make any modifications (I had to do it in batches because the uploading interface also freaked out if there were too many files). As a result, the original url was lost forever so I had to add a "SEGA" to it (not a big deal but that's too many annoyances that just shouldn't be there, in my opinion).

EDIT: Ah, by the way! One of the Chao images was not rendered properly due to me not being able to find the "TektonMM" font so, if somebody here has it, that will allow me to rerender it as it should be.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
  4. Vangar

Vangar

Oh nice, a lot of these images i've only seen as scans from old magazines.

- Bumper texture on the numbered jump pads, or some kind of spring?
    - Old Windy Valley. What's that thing in the distance on the right?
    - We never see eggman this close in the intro video.
    - There's a lot of the characters standing in beta windy valley too. Big's got some crazy laser stuff happening behind him.

EDIT: Images removed on request, check the site or the other uploads :)

Last edited: Apr 8, 2020
  5. Speeps

Speeps

I love you man this has all of those screenshots of SA1 that were only really low quality in magazines before. :thumbsup:

6. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

If you mean these, they're wacky signposts:
    [​IMG]

I thought the same. Is that Gamma's lock-on beam? I'm assuming they used a screen of Gamma in WV as the BG.

Edit: Pics removed

Last edited: Apr 8, 2020
  7. Speeps

Speeps

Yeah, Big's image is over this picture of Gamma:

[​IMG]
    Tails and Gamma's are over ingame pics as well. Knuckles is probably too but the background for his hasn't been found yet.

• List
  8. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
  9. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    I guessed this would be the case, but here's the confirmation:

https://info.sonicretro.org/index.php?title=File:SSM_JP_19981016_1998-29.pdf&page=54
    https://info.sonicretro.org/index.php?title=File:SSM_JP_19981023_1998-30.pdf&page=46
    https://info.sonicretro.org/index.php?title=File:SSM_JP_19981030_1998-31.pdf&page=126

Those Sonic Adventure screenshots were intended for the Japanese Sega Saturn magazine. I raised this coverage a while ago - not only did this publication have much more information than everyone else, they have pages devoted to Sonic in Sand Hill.

Sand Hill, the pseudo-Tails-only stage but not really.

• List
  10. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    @Vangar @Blue Spikeball
    Please try to avoid hotlinking the pictures in my site, hosting is the cheapest I could find since I can't afford a good one and I don't know how many image downloads from here it could handle.

EDIT: Thanks.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2020
  11. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
  12. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

Sorry about that, I've removed them from my post.

13. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    I just read about the SEGAPR FTP in there and was wondering, is there any known old backup of it available somewhere?

14. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    In many ways we're the backup. But yes.

15. PkR

PkR

SADX Dreamcast Conversion, The Emeralds' Awakening
    I found a lot of similar stuff in this and this press kits dumped in 2006-2007, though the Nuernberger one has more screenshots. The 2007 German kit contains a collection of high resolution Dreamcast covers, including SA1's, which I mirrored here. The colors seem a bit off, as if they're oversaturated, perhaps the JPG files need to use a different color profile. The French kit also had an SA1 cover with an embedded color profile, which I converted to PNG and uploaded here.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2020
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  16. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Hmm, is that the only backup out there? That's just the contents of one specific folder and only a part of it. =\

17. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

Also, as the one review there notes, some of the image files are incomplete or corrupt. A more complete backup is in order.

18. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    These links are dead - is there a mirror so I can cross reference and check our wikis have everything?

19. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Maybe I'll hijack this topic:

https://archive.org/details/redump-id-69560

https://segaretro.org/Category:Artwork_from_Sega_Screenshots_2000
    https://segaretro.org/Category:Sega_Screenshots_2000_files

Another disc came through overnight. There are some hardware photos that seem to be encoded in non-Windows-friendly way (coloured controllers and VMUs from the looks of things). If anyone fancies a challenge, it's all yours.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Not sure how rich this disc is for prototype content, but official screenshots are always neat.

20. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher