don't click here

Luigi in Sonic 1

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Kaching, Apr 5, 2020.

1. Kaching

Kaching

Luigi took a wrong warp and landed straight into Sonic 1![​IMG] [​IMG]
    I attempted to give him as much of a Luigi feel as I could, though there might be some physics changes in the future

Moves:
    • Green Missile: Up + B (couldn't add rng to it)
    • High Jump: A
    • Ground Pound: Down in air
    • Swim: A/B/C Underwater (duh)
    • Faster Swim/Exit water: Up + A/B/C Underwater
    There's a bug where you can clip through springs by holding Down. Shouldn't affect gameplay too much. Also, if you ever have trouble beating a level, sit still for a while, you might beat the level as if it was absolutely nothing ;).

Download (v1, rev00): https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/456872758480207882/696149908188561498/Luigi_in_Sonic_1.bin

Credits and Thanks:
    • E-122-Psi for coding help and tips. (Very epic dude right there, helped out a lot)
    • LuigiXHero also for coding help. (Helped add in a meme)
    • Neweegee for creating the Mario sprites in this style. I wouldn't have drawn Luigi like that if it were for that Mario existing.
    • The Sonic Retro discord for some tips and bug fixes

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  2. Rrose80149

Rrose80149

Can He breath underwater like in 2D Mario games, 3D Land and 3D World?

3. Kaching

Kaching

Nah, that would make him even more OP underwater, it's already easy enough to go back up for air anyways. If I were to make a more ambitious hack (like a full on Mario-esque hack), then I would give him the ability to breathe underwater.

4. giovanni.gen

giovanni.gen

It's still Joe-vanni, not Geo-vanni. Member
    Italy
    Sonic Hacking Contest
    I have mixed opinions on this hack.
    Luigi underwater is clearly broken. His moves interfere whenever he enters one of LZ's pipes, making him behave in a glitchy way.
    His stomp move is clearly the the worst move of them all. It's the one move with the most glitches, and that makes me not want to use it at all.
    Despite the glitches, I think he's a fun idea, and I can clearly see the nods to Luigi and the Super Mario series. I just wish it was executed better.

5. Kaching

Kaching

Thanks for your feedback, this is my first hack that wasn't just a sprite swap. I'll fix most of the bugs you mentioned, but I'm not too sure on how to fix the ground pound glitches. I could probably map the input to be "Down + B" to keep it from interferring with anything that requires you to just press and hold down. As for underwater, swimming in general is broken in sonic games, lol.

6. Kaching

Kaching