don't click here

The Supreme Topic of 'Other' Knowledge.

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by McGuirk, Jan 10, 2007.

1. Gestalt

Gestalt

Sphinx in Chains Member
    Maybe they had planned to animate it (moving clouds, breaking waves, palm trees blowing in the wind.)

2. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    ...What makes you think that?

3. Gestalt

Gestalt

Sphinx in Chains Member
    I think it would have looked cool. Also, the inclusion of a PSD implies that it's not finished yet.

Maybe I'm reading too much into this.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2020
  4. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    These are high resolution press assets, sent out to video game publications so they'd have some pretty pictures. PSDs (or any multi-layer image format) are flexible and (relatively) easy to use.

This pre-dates PNG being much of a thing, so in order to get semi-transparency, the choices were limited. Alternatives include TIFF, which is bloated and likes to do weird things with colour, and Targas (TGA) which were never widely adopted. In fact in order to get the most out of any of these formats back in 2000 you'd probably need Photoshop anyway.

But it's not like any of this is taught in schools - if you're in marketing and are given the orders to "GIVE THEM THE ASSETS" you could get all sorts.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. Gestalt

Gestalt

Sphinx in Chains Member
    Ah, sorry then. But cool design nonetheless!

6. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    It's nothing too interesting, but this PS+ video seems to use JP Eggman voice clips, as well as EN Sonic Unleashed voice clips for Sonic. Guess they maybe got them from a SEGA assets pack or something, but. Really odd.

7. DreamsComeBlue

DreamsComeBlue

• Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  8. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Oh fuck, that sucks... Rest in peace. :(

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  9. Powpuck

Powpuck

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  10. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    From what I'm seeing, it seems to be another pretty compilation of our research and SEGA's Sonic CD development diaries.

On one hand, it would be cool if Sonic Retro did these things before somebody else did without giving credit but, on the other hand, we're constantly adding new discoveries to the wiki so these videos are automatically outdated every few months or so.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. Pengi

Pengi

Some mistakes and omissions in there. "Chaos Collision"? Also when talking about how Naoto Ohsima designed Sonic, then showing a piece of 1994 American Sonic art, edited to look like a sketch for t-shirts and merchandise.

Though I'm sure it was done out of sheer ignorance rather than malice, I was taken aback to see an ethnic slur on screen. How does a channel with over 80,000 subscribers and good production values let such a thing slip through?

12. Dek Rollins

Dek Rollins

size of a tangerine Member
    US
    Would you mind elaborating? I didn't notice anything when I watched it.

13. Pengi

Pengi

At the 15 minute mark.

14. Dek Rollins

Dek Rollins

size of a tangerine Member
    US
    Oh, you're talking about a very common abbreviation for a particular region. I am surprised they didn't use "JP" instead though, considering that people like to blow things out of proportion so often.

15. Vertekins

Vertekins

Wants to know everything about Sonic Member
    Midlands, England, UK, over there in Europe.
    Translating Sonic info. Working on Concept Mobius. Also, trying to find extant footage of original Sonic CD special stage.
    I remembered, I didn't provide the full translation for these two profiles. I hope no one minds I do so now along with Knuckles' and Tails' :) As said prior, these were taken from the official Sonic Jam strategy guide.

Sonic;

[​IMG]

“A blue Hedgehog (♂) whose motto is to run daily “Whenever in the mood”. He takes pride in his absolutely unbeatable strength and his running speed in particular is second-to-none (It exceeds Mach 1). His only weakness is his inability to swim. He seems to have a precognitive ability and tends to sneeze when sensing danger.”

[Screenshot caption] - “He loves adventure and travelling the world. The vivid red biplane “Tornado” is his favorite machine”

Tails;

[​IMG]

“A yellow Fox (♂) from Westside Island. Admiring Sonic’s strength, he always follows behind him. He is curious and loves to toy with machinery. He can fly in the sky using his 2 tails. Actually, he really dislikes thunder.”

Knuckles;

[​IMG]

“The guardian who watches over the Chaos Emerald ore the “Master Emerald” that sleeps on the phantom Floating Island. His true identity is that of a bright red Echidna (♂) . In contrast to Sonic, he is a hot-blooded, shy and short-tempered guy. Avoiding strong sunlight, he likes to eat fruits whilst hanging around in the shade. 15 years old”

[Screenshot caption] - “His nickname is Knuckles. His arch enemy is the resurrected Mecha Sonic”

Dr Eggman;

[​IMG]

“An evil genius scientist who wants to mechanize everything in the world. His character is more like that of a child who cannot distinguish between right and wrong rather than a genuinely bad person as his self-centered thinking has become a thing of evil. Actually, Eggman is an alias and “Robotnik” is his true name”

• Informative Informative x 8
    • Like Like x 4
    • List
  16. Pengi

Pengi

It's also a recognized slur with a long history behind it. Check any mainstream English language dictionary, check the Wikipedia article. In any professional media outlet, editors and proofreaders filter out those kind of gaffes, though it seems like that Youtube channel is probably a one-person operation. Still, it's surprising to see that kind of gaffe in a video with good production values, on a channel that's largely about Japanese media.

Very interesting to see the Master Emerald described as "Chaos Emerald ore". Would you be able to break down the translation? Are there any alternate interpretations or connotations?

17. Vertekins

Vertekins

Wants to know everything about Sonic Member
    Midlands, England, UK, over there in Europe.
    Translating Sonic info. Working on Concept Mobius. Also, trying to find extant footage of original Sonic CD special stage.
    Very interesting to see the Master Emerald described as "Chaos Emerald ore". Would you be able to break down the translation? Are there any alternate interpretations or connotations?[/QUOTE]

The term used is "原石", which can be translated as "ore" or "rough stone". Translated kanji literally mean "original stone". It seems to suggest that the Master Emerald was derived from the same ore as the Chaos Emeralds. Which could explain why they are related to each other.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2020
    • Informative Informative x 4
    • List
  18. Pengi

Pengi

Interesting. The Master Emerald itself has clearly been cut into shape, but it's surrounded by uncut emeralds in its pillar in Hidden Palace Zone. And Lava Reef Zone Act 2/Hidden Palace Zone is full of crystals in general.

19. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

Makes sense, Naka stated that Hidden Palace is supposed to be where the Chaos Emeralds came from.

20. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    Jesus Christ you guys look for any reason to be offended about something.

It's clearly meant as an abbreviation for "Japanese". Grow up.

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Like Like x 3
    • List