don't click here

Streets of Rage 4

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by Jason, Aug 27, 2018.

1. Ashura96

Ashura96

HEROIC VERSE Oldbie
    SOR3 yes, BK3 no lol

SORR also used Galsia, but that might have just been for accuracy sake for the SOR2 version. SOR1 and 3 versions of the enemy I think were called Garcia.

2. Ashura96

Ashura96

HEROIC VERSE Oldbie
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  3. Aesculapius Piranha

Aesculapius Piranha

つづく Oldbie
    Unknown
    Diva
    Needs promo tie-in: Ben & Jerry's Cherry Galsia
    Ed: Or would that be Chelli Galsia?

4. Mentski

Mentski

Pff. Member
    Parts Unknown
    Being a mysterious face.
    SOR1 doesn't use names in game, and he's not named in the English language manual, only in the Japanese one, written as ガルシア.

To be honest, you're the only person I've ever encountered to have any kind of issue with it... For most of us. Galsia is who he is, and who he should be.

Sometimes, a name just sticks. Even if it's technically a mispronunciation, as I said before - See Rolento.

Also: SOR3 is somewhat looked down on by many of the SOR hardcore due to how they absolutely butchered BKIII, and I feel that his name change in SOR3 is seen as one of the needless changes, as it breaks the continuity.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2020
  5. Powpuck

Powpuck

I'm guessing that people with Spanish names would take umbrage, because Spanish names are often mishandled/mispronounced. Stuff like this doesn't help.

I wonder if a compromise of Galsia being a nickname would be acceptable.

6. Fred

Fred

Taking a break Oldbie
    Portugal
    Sonic 3 Unlocked
    So... the "continuity" of one game.

7. Xilla

Xilla

I fail to understand....I begin to see! Member
    There's several screenshots of SoR2 and 3 in development with mis-spelled names. Donoban, Erectra and Blase, as well as a "Swood" weapon.

If they fixed them but not Galsia, then he's Galsia to me :p

8. Mentski

Mentski

Pff. Member
    Parts Unknown
    Being a mysterious face.
    Well as you can literally pronounce ガルシア several different ways in English: Garcia, Garushia, Galsia... Perhaps you'd prefer the term "precedence". What bloody ever.

9. Fred

Fred

Taking a break Oldbie
    Portugal
    Sonic 3 Unlocked
    It's not that I'm trying to argue with you specifically. One game calls the enemy Galsia, the other one Garcia. By siding with the SOR2 spelling, SOR4 is effectively saying "Garcia" is wrong.

Sigh. Just another boneheaded move with a boneheaded explanation by the increasingly apparent bonehead developers.

10. Mentski

Mentski

Pff. Member
    Parts Unknown
    Being a mysterious face.
    The thing is, Bare Knuckle III continues to call him Galsia, too, and many fans echew Streets of Rage 3 in favour of BKIII due to the sheer number of unfavourable changes Sega of America made to the game. I certainly did. In fact I remember at least one Magazine in the UK at the time (possibly Mean Machines) outright telling it's readers "Don't buy Streets of Rage 3, buy the Japanese import".

Now whilst the change to Garcia in SOR3 is technically a correction, the amount of other changes made by Sega of America which are considered on the whole to betray the original developers intent, it's not really that surprising that it's considered by the hardcore fanbase as another needless change, that only appears in what is considered a bad localization.

As Xilla points out, other Engrish names appeared in prototypes and were corrected, but Galsia's never was. Which lead me at least to think that his name is what it is: Galsia. A weird name that sounds a bit like Garcia, and spelt the same way in Katakana, but certainly not Garcia.

To lend credence to that, here is a bit of production artwork of him next to Donovan, who clearly isn't called "Donoban".

010.jpg

11. I don't mind how the name is, I'm gonna be punching the character till he dies anyway. :P

As for the main characters, yeah I do feel that the "GRAN-DA-PAAAH!" isn't hitting the mark there, especially when Axel's hitting the hard "r" there with a more western tone. The Japanese cadence sounded so much better.

Other than that, the game's looking great! Like a fun party game, It's got that fun 4 player "Hey, where am I again?!" thing going on (Reminds me of when I play Smash Bros. multiplayer, lol)

12. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
  13. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    I don't see why they can't have both names. Or indeed unique names for every character because it's 2020.

From what I've seen, the 1995 console adaption of Batman Forever manages this, and that game is borderline unplayable.

You shouldn't be getting bettered by Batman Forever.

14. Xilla

Xilla

More gameplay:

I'm guessing the Nora fight in Stage 3 isn't going to be the actual end-of-level boss in the final because that really is a short stage otherwise.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  15. Most of the music is amazing. I especially dig the acid vibes up until around the 11 minute mark. Floyd looks rather fun. It might be nice having a Jax-like to stomp the streets with.

16. Xilla

Xilla

17. Thanks for the heads up!

I seriously got a Genesis case off the shelf to see how it stacked up with the Switch and PS4 cases. lol Looks like a regular Genesis clamshell can fit a Switch case fine, but as far as a PS4 case, it might be (if not thicker) a little wider than a normal Genesis shell.

We'll have to see once we get it. Either way, that's pretty awesome. :D

18. Xilla

Xilla

I would be up for getting the case edition if the cover was reversible with a Mega Drive design overleaf. PAL or JP either way. Just for uniformity with my SoR1-2-BK3 cases more than anything else :V

19. Mentski

Mentski

Pff. Member
    Parts Unknown
    Being a mysterious face.
    That clamshell better damn well have a reversible Bare Knuckle IV cover variant like the standard cover. Because only having a Genesis one is an insult to me.

20. ^ Sadly, I think it's only the Switch/PS4 covers that are reversible, not the clam shell. Otherwise, they'd advertise it. I really really hope I'm wrong on that.

In any case (no pun intended), I'll be willing to share a scan with measurements of the Genesis box art once I've received mine so one can alter it to make their own MD version of it. I might even make one.

Again, to reiterate, this sucker's gonna stick out a bit from regular Genesis/MD boxes due to the Switch and PS4 cases being in them plus the steelbooks. Hope y'all have some deep shelves.

ETA: Took the plunge and preordered. :)

Last edited: Mar 20, 2020