don't click here

Sega Ages (Nintendo Switch)

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by Mastered Realm, Sep 20, 2018.

1. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    Still not sure if I should hold out for a physical version, like the Sega 3D Classics got. Though right now I'm only interested in Outrun and Virtua Racing. Maybe Puyo.

2. Technically there's also Puyo Puyo eSportsthough it's still Japan only at the moment.

Given that Virtua Racing is a Model 1 game (correct me if I'm wrong on this,) does this mean they're starting to work their way to more complex and later titles? This already looks amazing, I'd love to see Daytona USA get the same treatment, especially with an 8-player local multiplayer! That's still wild! Though I find it kind of odd there's only two player online if eight is in the card locally. It's usually the other way around...

3. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

Yeah, it's nice we've finally got to some of SEGA's early 3D games being put in their rerelease lines, over mostly just their Megadrive stuff with the odd early arcade game like their recent compilation or the Wii Shopping Channel.

If they managed to even just get a few good Model 2 arcade games in this series I'd be quite impressed, though even with just Model 1 emulation perfected we have Wing War and the original Virtua Fighter to consider as well.

Yeah, you'd think that would be the cleaner approach, eight player local is cool, but looking at all those little screens is gonna be an eye sore.

4. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

Virtua Racing is now out in Japan, and some technical details have been revealed by M2:

https://www.gonintendo.com/stories/333973-sega-and-m2-reveal-the-many-struggles-and-challenges-of-creating

* It seems this is actually a port, not an emulation, so maybe other Model 1 games aren't on the table right now.

* They lacked the original source code so this whole thing was remade from scratch. They built it on the Deluxe version of the arcade game that had widescreen but no multiplayer (which they had to code back in).

* Also this project originated from the 3D Classics line, and they initially planned to remake the 32X version.

Since we now know some of the line will consist of ports rather than emulations, I wonder if this is how they'll get round to making Saturn and Dreamcast rereleases. There are some already existing Saturn ports like Sonic R and NIGHTS, if SEGA leant them the source code to be fine tuned to be more console perfect I wouldn't mind those on the list.

5. Glaber

Glaber

Has Beaten Sonic Genesis for GBA Oldbie
    remake or port, as long as I can play it, I'll be happy.

6. VirtuaKazama

VirtuaKazama

That is quite the dedication to port Virtua Racing to the Switch.

7. Jason

Jason

8. Jason

Jason

So apparently the Sega Ages version of Puyo Puyo 2 isn't translated to English. Only the menus and extra content are. For a company heralded for attention to detail such as M2, releasing to international audience without a full translation feels very cheap.

9. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Ugh, there go my high hopes.

10. Glaber

Glaber

Has Beaten Sonic Genesis for GBA Oldbie
    Better than the SNES online version where it's all Japenese.

11. The Claw

The Claw

They've got explaining to do. Sega claimed the game was translated for the first time.
    https://www.gamasutra.com/view/pres...yo_2_Are_Back_and_Better_Than_Ever_Before.php

12. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    So this has been confusing. I got this press release in my email and having had the JP version I just figured maybe the English release would be the one to get it. One of the PR folk clarified on Twitter that this referred to menus, character bios, and intro rolls.

https://twitter.com/zackreese/status/1225582335958978560

My assumption when reading the press release was that it would be fully localized, but maybe it just meant...a little localized? It rubs a bit oddly compared to the recent Double Dragon collection that did localize some JP only titles. I feel like it's technically what it says on the tin, but when I hear "Puyo Puyo 2 will finally receive an official English localization for Western fans!" I just assume it means the whole shebang. It's an odd thing.

13. The Claw

The Claw

I'm counting on this motivating fans to pick up the pieces. Perplexing for its popularity that Puyo Puyo doesn't yet have a passable MD version translation.

14. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    So he's twisting words to avoid admitting that they lied?

15. Vanishing Vision

Vanishing Vision

Does anyone have any word on whether or not more games are planned anytime soon? Back when this line started, the second batch was announced not too long after the first few games started appearing. Now with Herzog Zwei the only one left, there's no announcement that I'm aware of.

I love the G-LOC port and really hope that more of the super scaler games will come soon. I'd be happy to see some of the 3DS releases like Power Drift and Galaxy Force be bought to the big screen, but I'd really love to see stuff like Rad Mobile, A.B. Cop and Racing Hero.

16. Diablohead

Diablohead

Indie dev Oldbie
    Near London
    games
    I want to see less megadrive rom ports, need more virtua racings.

17. Xilla

Xilla

OutRunners and Rad Mobile would be nice, seeing as their home ports were a bit lacklustre.

Oh, and Revenge of Death Adder :P

18. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

I would like some more early 3D games. They have a Model 1 emulator now, why not continue off of that with Virtua Fighter and Wing War?

19. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    They do? I thought Virtua Racing was a port.

20. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    It was.