don't click here

The younger fandom, and how they learned from exactly none of our mistakes.

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Josh, Jan 6, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    Wanna see good Sonic storytelling? Just watch this Sonic Unleashed cutscene:

(Sorry about the quality, it was the only one I could find)

Anyway, controversial opinion: I think this cutscene may be the single best cutscene in a Sonic game, period. It's got heart, it's got humor, and it really makes you feel engaged. I mean, it shows a side of Sonic we never really see. We see him as cocky, we see him as brave, we see him as snarky, we see him as heroic, but we never, and I mean NEVER see Sonic looking and feeling like total shit. We never see him really caring about Amy (at best, he's indifferent to her, and at worst an utter ass), and this scene just shows the toll the Werehog is taking on him. He does appreciate Amy and considers her a friend, but he never shows that. And if you've been playing Sonic games for as long as I have, you've seen how he treats her. Also even though Chip is an annoying little bitch for around 70% of the game, here he actually serves a genuine purpose to a funny and profound effect. He's trying to make Sonic feel better but is so socially inept that he's just making it worse. I rarely even crack a smile at the jokes in Sonic games, but when I was replaying Unleashed these past few days, this scene actually made me chuckle. But it made me feel for the character - and that is something.

TL;DR: this cutscene is the sort of things Sonic games should try to focus on - a balance of humor and heart, amid swashbuckling and adventure.

2. I'm probably the minority on this, but I never really thought Unleashed's story was that great. I liked the opening, climax, and ending, but the middle part is basically just a whole bunch of nothing for the most part. Still a better story than Colors, Generations, Lost World, and Forces by a country mile, though.

3. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    No, I totally agree with you. I think Unleashed's story is okay, but complicated and tonally confused. I was just referring to that cutscene in particular.

4. Yeah, it'd be nice if they put more effort into their cutscene animations and made the characters more expressive like in that scene.

5. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Honestly my favourite cutscene in Unleashed is the opening, right up to the point where Sonic bursts into the room with Robotnik on his knees (at the point where Sonic starts talking it somewhat ruins it). Next to no dialogue (and all from Robotnik), but wonderfully done.

6. Woo this twitter age is a bit more...banal than the days of CulT.

It really is a shock to me, and reminds me that a lot of us are indeed old heads. I remember when I joined this community, I was around 12. It was 2002 then. I'm pushing 30 on May this year.

During the 2000s, you were restricted to message-boards that didn't play about grammar or attention whoring. CulT had its moments, but cats like me got banned all the time for at least the latter.

With this social media era, there are no bans, giving people the license to spew whatever the hell they want to. With no type of regulation, I really hate to see Sega catch a wiff and plan their games around these types of complaints. At least our generation were forced to be articulate in our complaints, and whatever was nonsensical was relegated to the ban vortex.

7. 2 quid is good

2 quid is good

Do you think the 20+ year olds that grew up with Adventure didn't use forums? We're not so much younger than you you know.

The twitter as a substitute for forums age bracket are the teens of today, twitter never really took off until around 2012/13 and even then it wasn't used as the pseudo forum it is today.

The whole attitude from yourself and the quoted poster is pretty distasteful to fans who are anywhere between 5-10 years younger than yourselves but nevertheless it's something we're used to. After all, we grew up around the same spaces as you, and you guys were pretty grim company for young kids who were just excited about Sonic.

Just because fans prefer the style of Adventure era games, doesn't mean that they're mindlessly clamouring for OW THE EDGE on steroids. You have a real gift for hyperbole @saintminya

And I don't know why you bought up a pay wall, that's never really been an issue for those games and it would most likely be met with distaste.

It's telling in a thread made by older fans to look down on younger ones, that some posters still don't see the toxicity that they have grown so used to spewing and repeat it here. You could have at least pretended that you were above us but the shitting on a certain subset of fans is too much of a second nature to you.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  8. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    How pretentious. :V

9. I ain't touching it. Been on here for 18 years and got too many bans to count. I'm old. They got it.

10. rebelcheese

rebelcheese

I think things could be simplified further by eliminating the need for an alternate dimension for Blaze or Marine. Bring them to Sonic's dimension so the writers don't have to jump through hoops to feature them. Also, stop with the "Two Worlds" stuff and have humans and Sonic critters living side by side like the Adventure games implied. That would do a LOT to make storytelling in Sonic easier to do.

11. Gestalt

Gestalt

Sphinx in Chains Member
    I think I said it before, but as long as there are gems like the Phantom Ruby anything could happen in between the games. For example, what if they wanna write a story where time has frozen or Eggman got rid of all the humans? ^^

12. I kinda wish the Phantom Ruby was never a thing. Sonic Team themselves aren't even clear on what the damn thing does since it functions differently between Mania and Forces. :V Plus, I don't think they ever bothered to give a proper explanation on the lore behind it, either; The Chaos Emeralds and the Master Emerald actually had some cool lore behind them back in the day, but in Mania it's just, "Oh the Phantom Ruby is a thing on Angel Island and Eggman somehow found out about it" and Forces needed a webcomic to tell us "The Phantom Ruby just suddenly landed in Eggman's front yard, and he started doing stuff with it.".

Fuck I miss the old lore in this series, it was actually pretty cool.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2020
  13. Frostav

Frostav

Maskless Infinite's design is great but he sucks ass as a character so I guess he can go. It's really a waste though.

14. Dek Rollins

Dek Rollins

size of a tangerine Member
    US
    infinite bane meme.png

15. Frostav

Frostav

That mask is so dumb, holy shit.

How did that get the greenlight?

16. Sid Starkiller

Sid Starkiller

Virginia, USA
    Paying off student loans
    Because Iizuka's an idiot.

17. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

Come to think of it, I feel it's kind of ironic how many of the MD era fans make fun of and look down on younger fans who like "edgy" Sonic. I remember back in the 90s when Sonic fans adored SatAM, and loved to preach about how superior it was to AoStH and other cartoons for being oh so dark and mature, with its post-apocalyptic Robotnik-conquered world, the dark and dreadful Robotropolis, the horrifying roboticization process, and the serious and scary Robotnik.

Not saying that everyone was like that, mind you. Myself, I've never been a big fan of that show. But that seemed to be the prevalent view. In fact, at a point it felt like you could hardly find any Sonic fansite that wasn't mainly centered on SatAM and/or the comics based on it. I found that pretty frustrating back in the day, haha.

I also remember fans loving Sonic CD back then. No one complained about the post-apocalyptic bad futures, or went "ow the edge" over Metal Sonic's design, or the holograms that depict him committing animal abuse.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
  18. RDNexus

RDNexus

I, for one, only sparsely watched AoStH or SatAM, and I've only come to know about the western comics after the 2000s.
    But I watched all of Underground, and kinda liked to watch it, at the time. I also kinda enjoyed Sonic X, back at the time.

Nowadays... I feel nothing for ANY of those. The games continuity matters the most to me, and I'd rather see SEGA (or whatever may be left of ST) to fix the bloody thing once and for all.

About Sonic CD... Since it was a Mega CD or PC title, it eluded me for years, until emulators entered my life.
    To me, it's a great title. Way better than Shadow the Hedgehog, to say the least :V

Edginess in the franchise, as far as I remember, never seemed like a big thing to me.
    As I was usually paying more attention to the antics of Sonic & Pals...

19. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

Oh, I definitely agree. I would put CD among my top Sonic games. I just said that fans used to love it because back in the day, it seemed that most people who played it went "BEST SONIC GAME EVAR". Compared to that, it's a more polarizing title nowadays.

20. RDNexus

RDNexus

It comes with the times. Games from the 90s, 2000s, 2010s, whatever...
    What may be hot stuff nowadays may be mild and divisive in 10+ years.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.