don't click here

TMS Entertainment adds subtitled Sonic X to Youtube (Episode 1 currently up)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Mendinso, Jan 31, 2020.

1. Mendinso

Mendinso

I'm Who I Am. Oldbie
    Quick and short post, but effectively, TMS Entertainment is now adding Sonic X to Youtube with Japanese audio and English subs.

Currently no regional lock out (minus Japan), but this could change.

You can view the episode, below:

General notes:

- Translations appear to be different than what 4Kids Entertainment was provided and used.
    - Opening and Ending have no subs (but this isn't unusual and would likely need to get approvals again if it definitely is a new translation)
    - Masters appear to be the same ones that are streaming in Japan, as well as available on Netflix for regions that have the Japanese version. So full Japanese masters, composite, and previews intact.
    - Previews are subtitled, which would mark the first time that was available for US viewers.

Either way, enjoy this, folks. Definitely more accessible than the Hulu uploads, plus no International Master issues (though on the opposite side, they ARE composite masters).

2. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    It's been nearly 2 decades, but the point during the opening attack where Sonic grabs the ring still sends a tingle down my spine. I hope there's a budget DVD collection of this or something considering they've subbed it now.

3. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

Very nice! This is the first time I watch Sonic X with the official subs. I assume the same subs were used for Hulu? Do rips of the Hulu/official subs exist?

4. Mendinso

Mendinso

I'm Who I Am. Oldbie
    I literally said in the first post, these appear to be new subs/translations, haha.

From what my friend(s) has looked at, these appear to be completely new translations. Plus, previews are translated for the first time.

5. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

Ah, sorry, missed that bit.

Still, do we have rips of the Hulu subs?

6. Dek Rollins

Dek Rollins

size of a tangerine Member
    US
    What the first post says is that the translation differs from what 4Kids received, which doesn't necessarily have anything to do with the Hulu subs, right? Would openings being unsubbed and previews being subbed be actual evidence for either case?

I suppose the best that can be done is compare them directly.

7. KingOfBunnies

KingOfBunnies

Why is it 360p? I assume it was animated at 480p.

8. Yeah, the encoding quality is pretty shit...

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  9. Yash

Yash

CHOCOLATE! Member
    Mendinso can correct me if I'm wrong but 4Kids was in charge of the Hulu episodes, I believe.

10. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    I've compared the original fansubs, the Hulu subs, and this upload.

This is definitely a new translation. Not going to bother doing a point for point comparison here... but to briefly summarize...

I think the language of the hulu sub flows better, but from what I can tell, this is an accurate overall translation, maybe even a bit more literal, likely done directly from the original scripts by translators working within TMS itself. It's... fine. You usually see this kind of difference when Japanese studios use their own English translators for something like a crunchyroll release vs a native English speaker in America doing their version on a home video release.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  11. KingOfBunnies

KingOfBunnies

So, are new episodes going to be every week? Will they all be 360p?

12. RDNexus

RDNexus

TMS's Sonic anime playlist seems to have 2 private videos?
    May those 2 be new Sonic X subbed episodes they released?

13. JustAMotobug

JustAMotobug

Eggman Robot Member
    United States
    ????
    I can't wait to see more subs uploaded. It'll be pretty darn cool to see the Metarex Saga with a nice clean translation.

14. Shakidna

Shakidna

Rehash Rampage Member
    Trying to find some old pilots for Sonic X.

The first is the English version of Pilot 2, referenced on this wiki page:
    https://sonic.fandom.com/wiki/Sonic_X_pilot#Pilot

TMS's webpage has no video, but it does have images and what appears to be the English script.
    And the video indeed used to be there:
    https://web.archive.org/web/2017080...jp/english/search/introduction.php?pdt_no=191

The video still exists but unfortunately it's private:

The second is a video I remember downloading from the 4kids (or Fox Box) website before it premiered. The video was from either Pilot 1 or the Japanese opening (they share a lot of footage), but the audio was replaced with 4kids original BGM, using the same familiar melodies used in the series. There were no voices or sound effects.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
  15. Despite the shit video quality, these subs are actually pretty good! A box set of this would be neat, it's been far too long since the Japanese version got a DVD release.

16. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

Episode 34 added:

17. RDNexus

RDNexus

From Ep01 it goes straight to Ep34?
    I can only guess all the other episodes are private or something...

18. KingOfBunnies

KingOfBunnies

Now we're upscaling 480p content to 1080p? I wish I understood this logic. I know it's Sonic X and it's a bad anime, but I'd at least like to understand this logic.

19. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

Episode 51 up:

20. Powpuck

Powpuck

I don't mind them skipping episodes, but did they have to pick one of the most boring maudlin ones?