don't click here

Classic Sonic’s Continuity in Forces

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by arc, Feb 19, 2020.

1. arc

arc

Did SEGA explain why Classic Sonic is from another dimension now? In the beginning of Forces, Tails refers to the (rather serendipitous appearance of) Classic Sonic as “from another dimension.” Wasn’t he from the past in Generations? You know, Time Eater and everything? Did SEGA make that change because they want Classic & Modern to be two coexisting, mutually-exclusive franchises, or was it something else? The obtuseness confuses me.

(Also, if you don’t know what I’m talking about or just want to confirm that I’m not on bath salts, you can see the quoted bit in this video at 6:30. )

2. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    I think the events of Generations split Classic Sonic's world into a separate timeline. I think.

3. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    That's how I took it. "Dimension" was probably a poor choice of words, but since that game's script is a dumpster fire I'm not surprised. Besides, Tails already knew who Classic Sonic was so there was some sense of familiarity there, implying that this Sonic is not new to Tails. I take it that after Generations, Classic Sonic and Classic Robotnik went back to their timeline with the knowledge of what happened in their would be futures, so Robotnik tries a different scheme instead (Mania). Both Sonics I think share Sonic 1, 2, 3K, and CD, but 4, Adventure and onwards are exclusive to Modern Sonic where as Mania is exclusive to Classic Sonic.

I also take Classic Sonic's attempt to learn the boost at the end of Generations to be the start of him learning the drop dash in Mania.

4. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

I think everyone gets confused with the mention of other dimensions when it comes to time travel in the Sonic series.

Blaze and Silver are originally from the future but then from another dimension after the timeline is altered.

Classic Sonic is originally from the past but then from another dimension when the timeline is altered.

Another dimension seems to occur when the timelines split off and can’t be reconnected by past events anymore. SEGA just aren’t very good at explaining things.

5. arc

arc

That makes a lot more sense. Forces’ script really is a mess, isn’t it?

6. Linkabel

Linkabel

I'm not sure but I hope they eventually drop that. It's just really silly that they're not the same Sonic.

For example, there's nothing really stopping Classic Sonic having a billion adventures between S3&K and SA. Or even between S3&K and S4.

This is not even getting to the other weird stuff of having a "Classic dimension" and Modern's dimension having a "human world" and "Sonic's world."

Feels really messy to me tbh.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  7. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I've just started treating it as a Megaman vs Megaman X type set up tbh. It's a bit messy (but it at least prevents potential future plotholes in the Modern series, because if a ton of adventures occurred between 3K and Adventure what if something significant happened) but whatever leads to more games like Mania I don't care what their logic is. I'd say that's the least of their issues though, I'd fix whatever the hell is going on with the whole "human world" and "Sonic's world" garbage.

8. Linkabel

Linkabel

I'll argue that the Sonic game franchise is just too safe for something significant to happen. I don't really see Sonic Team/Sega permanently killing the core characters, or outright getting rid of iconic locations or items.

It's just the nature of long running franchises so I don't see that as an issue. Is it possible? Yeah. Is likely to happen? No.

Plus, they blew up half of the moon and then the next game had it intact, so again I'm not too worried about that particular reason.

9. arc

arc

I just hope we get some more Mania-grade releases. SEGA isn’t going to sneak up on their diametrically-opposed, splintered fanbase with a hard reboot to fix all these continuity problems.

10. Pengi

Pengi

It’s a retroactive change, with no in story explanation.

11. big smile

big smile

Oldbie
    Starting with Classic Sonic's appearance in Sonic Runners, they began talking about him being from another dimension. I am guessing it's so they can continue the classic Sonic line (with games like Mania) without fear of contradicting themselves.

Sonic Team have done this before. Eggman Nega originally came from Blaze's dimension (in the Rush games), but he was later changed to coming from Silver's future (in the Rival's games). It was a bit of a flip-flop change too, as Rivals 1 was released in between the two Rush games. The change seemed to affect his personality as in Rush he was happy to work with Eggman, but in Rivals he had a beef with him.

Although a future is a kind of alt dimension anyway, so....

12. Wafer

Wafer

Find me on Twitter instead Member
    *looks to one side and sees fans claiming that the boost mechanic is "played out"*

*looks to the other side and sees the Sonic movie performing well*

Yeah, I'm sure Sega wouldn't do that D:

13. Childish

Childish

Pigs wiggle when they walk Member
    Shady lane
    Sonic 4 Blast Processed
    I thought the "from another dimension" line was a reference to the fact that classic sonic is in the second dimension and modern sonic is from the third.
    However i don't think the writing is that smart.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2020
  14. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    If that's what they mean then I'm fine with it

15. arc

arc

Uh..? Sorry if I'm misinterpreting what you said here, but I really don't see them doing that; no video game movie I've ever seen has been even mentioned as a part of the in-game universe's events.

16. Pengi

Pengi

The Japanese version uses the word 世界 (sekai), meaning "world".

17. Wafer

Wafer

No, you're absolutely right.

What I was getting at is that I'm kinda expecting a change-up in the series soon. Whether that's a new gameplay style, or changes to canon or some kind of reboot, I'd be surprised if Sega don't have at least part of a plan to capitalize on the movie's success, and atone for Forces' failure in the wake of Mania's success.

I mean, we've got 4 Sonics running around right now, including Boom. That could potentially cause some confusion for younger fans.

18. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    I don't think kids care. I have a 6 year old brother and he doesn't make a difference between modern, boom or classic Sonic (baby Sonic as he calls him, he came up with the term before the movie:V)
    In fact, he didn't even notice that Boom Sonic was different from regular Sonic until I pointed it out to him. He then proceeded to forgot this information in about 5 minutes.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  19. Wafer

Wafer

I don't think the kids would care, but Sega marketing might. Brand dilution and other fancy words.

20. arc

arc

Ah, I think I see your point now. Given the movie success really pays off for SEGA (I haven't looked to see how successful it's been--it's at least been a hit relative to internet nerds like us, from what I can tell) I can see them having more leeway for making changes. Especially when you look at the left-field, Werehog-flavored comeback that was Sonic Unleashed after Sonic '06.

If you ask me, the most-likely scenario is that we get a new gameplay style that tries (keyword: tries) to handsomely blend classic and modern Sonic; maybe using Dreamcast nostalgia given the wave of look-back love for the GameCube.[/QUOTE]

Last edited: Feb 20, 2020