don't click here

Sonic the Hedgehog (2020) movie

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Dark Sonic, Dec 7, 2013.

1. Wafer

Wafer

Find me on Twitter instead Member
    Yeah, a big issue that I have with genre movies these days is that "THE ENTIRE PLANET/HUMAN RACE MUST BE IN DANGER BECAUSE our plot is so weak that we can't get the audience invested any other way". Glad they didn't go that route.

2. Ashura96

Ashura96

HEROIC VERSE Oldbie
    Saw the movie on Monday. Pleasantly surprised (though I guess I was expecting to be pleasantly surprised so it doesn't count) :thumbsup:

3. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Plus to be fair, it didn't really seem like Robotnik was trying to take over the world. He really just wanted to catch Sonic. Other than that he just seemed like an eccentric asshole who worked for the government

4. Yash

Yash

CHOCOLATE! Member
    Didn't really think about it until just now but yeah, one thing I have to give this movie props for is not

letting the final battle devolve into a Big Stupid Laser Fight as is the impulse of every major superhero/comic book/sci-fi movie these days. Yeah they tear shit up a bit in San Francisco but it feels so appropriate that the battle ends in Green Hill(s), Montana.

Plus you know, they gotta save room for the sequels.

My inner child felt like getting up and cheering when Sonic was like "I'm not leaving this planet, YOU ARE" before knocking Robotnik into the ring portal, I thought the plot was building up to Sonic taking Robotnik with him.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  5. XAndrew

XAndrew

I actually really enjoyed it. It's different from the games in some aspects, but also the same in others.

I love that taunt Sonic made towards Robotnik, calling him Eggman. It reminds me of SA1 so much for some reason. And was more in tune to Sonic's character in the games.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. Dr. Mecha

Dr. Mecha

Dallas, TX
    3d Models
    Saw the film yesterday with my Co-Workers, and I had a good time. The film itself was better than I expected it to be.

7. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    I just saw the film today. My nephew liked it, especially the after-credits scene. I liked the beginning, and it set up for a lot of cool things, but once Sonic comes to Earth, nearly all of that is thrown out the ring portal. The whole thing felt scatterbrained, unwilling to commit to an idea or locale. There were moments I enjoyed, and plenty more I rolled my eyes at. If there's a sequel, I hope it builds on the first few scenes rather than Earth. This felt more like Eggman's origin than a Sonic movie, for better or worse.

8. Roller

Roller

21331 LEGO Ideas Sonic the Hedgehog, Ring Racers (SRB2Kart 2)
    Loved the film a LOT. Objectively, the plot itself is nothing to write home about, but I can't be objective; I was born and raised Sonic, and this movie made me unboundedly happy.

Sonic's personality is usually one of the less interesting things of the franchise, but by tweaking a few knobs and levers on his character sheet and developing negative traits out of positive ones, such as "Sonic loves his friends and would do anything for them" being extrapolerated into "Sonic is vulnerable and lonely because he has nobody before he makes the friends" REALLY makes him way more compelling as a character and really elevated this film to the next level.

ALSO. I know everything is a team effort here, but you can't deny that Tyson taking point on this thing turned it around and we are all indebted to him as a result. Can't imagine what it would have been like with the old design.

9. Antheraea

Antheraea

Bug Hunter Member
    I personally felt that the locales were too limited for a "road trip" movie. there's like, what,
    a single motel room, a bar, and....the highway? that is it basically. Eggman attacks them on the road literally once.

10. Zephyr

Zephyr

US
    Saw it on the 15th with some friends. Other than a couple of unexpected references, I was incredibly bored, even by Jim Carrey most of the time.
    Kids movie gonna kids movie. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Also, choice quote from SomecallmeJohnny's review of the film:
    Always worth keeping in mind with consumption in general.

11. Antheraea

Antheraea

Bug Hunter Member
    there's a phrase that goes "there is no ethical consumption under capitalism"

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  12. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    He ring teleported to four continents as well. Sonic went places. But that wasn't a focus of the story for more than like 15 minutes anyway. The biggest focus was having Dr. Robotnik descend from eccentric to mad trying and failing to beat Sonic and Donut Lord. No other thread really goes anywhere.

Though now that I'm writing this, Sonic looking for a place to belong is another plotline. But to be honest this seems to go against his nature of being a free spirit. He spends 10 years in one small town, and is essentially adopted by Donut Lord and Pretzel Lady by the end. Protecting friends is one thing, but being constrained by those relationships is a big departure for Sonic.

13. Antheraea

Antheraea

Bug Hunter Member
    but it was like, for a grand total of ten seconds, in a movie that is like two hours. it's really odd that a movie that follows a road trip plot barely....details that road trip.

come to think of it, yeah. but it's also really hard to build a good characterization around being a "free spirit" too, and far less relatable for most people. Not even the games have really emphasized that, it feels more like an excuse since Unleashed to justify him Going Places Where Eggman Conveniently Is Messing Things Up. I guess you could have a concept of him having to learn to settle down and not constantly run away, but that feels like a plot idea for an older Sonic instead of the more child-like one this movie has.

14. Wafer

Wafer

Find me on Twitter instead Member
    This this this. Yes, a VFX studio went under, but it's not as though Paramount rolled up and held guns to their heads until they rerendered half the film before leaving them to pay the bill. The film industry as a whole is to blame, and it's not as though a fictional blue hedgehog is gonna take a stand against capitalism.

15. AsuharaMoon

AsuharaMoon

kakyoin did you lay this egg Member
    Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Sonic Rocket, & others
    Just came back from watching it with a relative of mine and I can't say enough how very well done ended up being. And more than I could expect after what happen with the first trailer!

The script, the references, Sonic's attitude and expressions with his on point juvenile personality, the acting (Jim as Eggman is a bless), and other special things, makes this film a really worthy experience for all ages. The young kids in the theater (which were even fans for my surprise) LOVED IT.

It would be a terrible decision denying a sequel after all this worthy success!

omg Tails's design is really cute

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  16. karlafalves

karlafalves

Gaia Gate Guard Member
    Brazil
    I finally watched the movie yesterday night. And I loved it! Of course I was not expecting a Cannes winning plot that would make me philosophize about life's meaning after leaving the cinema (after all, it's a kids/family movie), but the story did made my heart feel warm, so many emotional moments! And the hunting for all the Easter eggs scattered across the movie made those 90 minutes even funnier (I'll have to go watch it once again to spot the dozens I missed).

17. Heh, forgot to comment on how cool it was to see Tom watching one of my favorite moments from any movie ever:

The "Hey, it's Enrico Pallazzo!" scene from "The Naked Gun"!

So yeah, to me that was one more awesome reference among the several other cool Easter eggs in the movie.

18. Faseeh

Faseeh

Loved this movie! It was so much fun, and Sonic himself was great. :)

19. Fadaway

Fadaway

Well, it wasn't Pink Flamingos...or Salò...or even Two Girls One Cup for that matter...but I dig it. Hoping there are less fart jokes in the sequel. Also, I can totally see a Lynchian fan-edit being a thing.

20. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

What on Earth is a "Lynchian" fan-edit?