don't click here

[X360] Sonic Adventure (Aug 01, 2010)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by N!NJA, Feb 12, 2020.

1. Clownacy

Clownacy

Tech Member
    Oh hell yes! Admittedly, I'm not an SADX modder myself, but this stuff should be immensely-helpful for figuring out how the game works. Me and Cucky were able to make a full decompilation of the original Windows version of Cave Story, using debug data found in the Linux port. Granted, I don't think SA1 has ever had the luxury of an unoptimised EXE like Cave Story did, but that didn't stop people from decompiling Diablo.

2. Shakidna

Shakidna

Rehash Rampage Member
    Is this the full source code that can be used to port SADX to every system imaginable?

3. Clownacy

Clownacy

Tech Member
    The short answer is 'no', sorry - it can be used to create something similar to the original source code, but it would still require months, possibly years, of work.

Technically, decompilations are possible without debug data (just look at the Super Mario 64 decompilation project), but stuff like this makes it a lot easier. Me and Cucky would never have been able to make our decompilation without it.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. Exant

Exant

Wow, this is amazing!
    That chao_garden_info stuff looks like is the main chao save struct, while CHAO_PARAM_GC is what we called "ChaoDataBase" in the disassembly (sizeof matches and everything), which still has a lot of missing fields that would be useful to know for editors (I would have never thought those first fields are all GBA stuff, I figured the first one is but not all the other ones)
    I would appreciate it a lot if you could send that struct early cuz I can't wait to see it, this has been the longest two days ever lol

EDIT: thought i would also elaborate on some other neat details, task is ObjectMaster which has been evident from some SA2 object names and some debug messages in SADX, taskwk* is probably what we call "Data1". CCL_Init is probably Collision_Init, which will also be nice to look into since the collision data wasn't ever really clear.
    Back to the chao, I noticed in that screenshot that there's AL_MOTION_INFO, which based on the size is probably MotionTableEntry, the naming convention is odd because motiontable's where used for other things other than chao, yet the AL_ prefix suggests it's a Chao-only thing.
    AL_SHAPE_ELEMENT is KarateOpponent, which is used in RaceTimeData, which seems to be called AL_RECORD here. There's also EDIT_FUNC_ENTRY which is ChaoDebugFunction, the name probably comes from the chao debug menu being called EDIT MODE MENU in that one SADXGC proto.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  5. SF94

SF94

Tech Member
    Question: is there any indication that this is an optimized binary, or are we dealing with a full fat unoptimized debug build?

6. CKDEV

CKDEV

I am very excited and I may do something with this information once it gets released.

7. N!NJA

N!NJA

Under your bed.
    Collecting all Cartridge based Sonic games and their regional variations!
  8. Chimera

Chimera

I'm not a furry. Tech Member
    Castlevania prettyness
    Legitimately been waiting for this the second you posted about it earlier this month.

Cannot WAIT to see what gets found out / made easier with this!!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  9. biggestsonicfan

biggestsonicfan

Model2wannaB Tech Member
    ALWAYS Sonic the Fighters
    This is incredible! I hope to see some amazing things come from this!

10. N!NJA

N!NJA

Under your bed.
    Collecting all Cartridge based Sonic games and their regional variations!
  11. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    Every. Fucking. Time.

Releasing protos immediately causes more to either be found/released.

12. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    They have a builds 8 months between each other? Damn I wonder what changed

13. DonutStopGaming

DonutStopGaming

Hmmm interesting! Some of these symbol names are familiar. They got carried over to Heroes. Wasn't expecting that.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  14. ItsBrieDude

ItsBrieDude

my brain is the spinning seal gif Member
    Do these builds contain any art assets? I'd be curious to see if anything from the source tree accidentally got included in the build(s) that didn't end up in retail. It would be awesome to see some unused SA1 assets that have been lost.

15. codenamegamma

codenamegamma

Tech Member
    There's a few builds that have a "Password"
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The one for Build 147 - as indicated in the ArcadeInfo.xml with the file name "783A4111AAE08A4C4F8F2F8C50593253A04D3D1658" is
    Sonikudamoxi
    The one for Build 209 and has the file name "5DD1F1516B2BFF7639F7B9B99E18C07E529BF92A58" is
    damoxifL

Follow the capitalization.

This will get you past those troll screens :)
    Enjoy! <3

also Special Thanks to Lance McDonald @manfightdragon on twitter who helped pull the strings.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2020