don't click here

The Supreme Topic of 'Other' Knowledge.

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by McGuirk, Jan 10, 2007.

1. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    https://webmaster.paramountpictures.com/us/m/lhfqxqxdg/sonic-hedgehog

This (I think) is the official press site for Paramount Pictures. The Sonic Retro wiki wants the highest possible quality versions of any official artwork (and probably videos and screenshots... and all the cack from the official Twitters/Facebooks/Instagrams).

But this site seems a bit... empty. Moreover it only covers the North American release.

I made a trip to imdb yesterday and compiled a list of every translation:

ソニック・ザ・ムービー (Japanese)
    Sonic, le Film (French)
    Sonic La Película (Spanish)
    Sonic Il Film (Italian)
    Sonic O Filme (Portuguese)
    Sonic Η Ταινία (Greek)
    Jeż Sonic (Polish)
    Ježek Sonic (Czech)
    Ježko Sonic (Slovak)
    Sonic, a Sündisznó (Hungarian)
    Соник Филмът (Bulgarian)
    Sonikov Film (Serbian)
    Sonic the Movie (Finnish)
    Soniks Filma (Latvian)
    Eziukas Sonic (Lithuanian)
    Соник в кино (Russian)
    刺猬索尼克 (Chinese (Simplified))
    音速小子 (Chinese (Traditional; Taiwan))
    超音鼠大電影 (Chinese (Traditional; Hong Kong))
    Nhím Sonic (Vietnamese)

(spoilers: there's probably more)

[​IMG]

Every single version is going to have its own distributor, it's own set of media assets, it's own... stuff. And we want it all~.

This could be time limited - if this movie bombs in a market, there's a good chance they'll take all their marketing down and pretend it never existed.

So yes, upload things, or point us towards press sites or whatever.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  2. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Advanced warning, maybe, possibly.

At some point this year I will probably get around to reorganising the Sonic Community Hacking Guide on the Sonic Retro wiki. It's the one remaining area of the wiki that hasn't been standardised and made lovely. It's also the area I know the least about, which is why I've spent many years not doing anything.

Essentially "SCHG:Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (16-bit)" will become "Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (16-bit)/Technical information". That is to say:

a) it will be treated as a sub-page. Like all the other sub-pages.
    b) it will not be called a "hacking guide", because spoilers: most of these are not hacking guides
    c) Naming will be made consistent across the wiki (and Sega Retro)

There are also plenty of weird pages that are better suited to Sega Retro. Or the bin.

For the technical minded - this is a good opportunity to get the house in order. I did think once about setting things up so every byte in the 512kB Sonic 1 ROM could be detailed (e.g. this part is x art, this part is y code) - might be a bit ambitious though. A fun idea mind you.

It could take weeks and months for me to get around to this, if I even bother.

I don't know how to cope with the SCHG How-tos (i.e. the bits that actually "guide" you how to "hack"). That might be someone else's job.

3. AstroSeedP

AstroSeedP

Is there still a file size restriction on videos? I have a lot of high-quality videos regarding the movie.
    Actually, I have a lot of stuff regarding Sonic in general. I talked about uploading stuff to the Wiki a long time ago, but the file restrictions were a bit annoying, though completely understandable.

[​IMG]

4. Pengi

Pengi

There's an official height chart for the core Sonic cast that's been around for a while.

Out of curiosity, has anyone ever T-posed the Sonic Generations models side by side like this? It'd be interesting to see how the "Classic" versions of Sonic, Tails, Eggman and Metal Sonic compare.

In Sonic CD, Metal Sonic's official height was 765.4 mm (76.54 cm), compared to the modern Metal Sonic's 100 cm, so I wonder if they used that as a guideline.

5. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  6. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    I can't believe you fucking got me for a second. Curse you.
    Also why the fuck are they rereleasing LCD tiger games?

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    :ruby: But if I had to guess idk, just to bank on cheap nostalgia. Just a silly little thing you can pick up at Gamestop when buying an actual game.

And if the real Sonic 3 was being released that'd be topic worthy lol

8. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Thank you.

(More like modding guides)

9. Pengi

Pengi

Masato Nishimura, on the Sonic CD staff playing early builds of Sonic 2: https://twitter.com/Mazin__/status/1227797961804935168

He says they were surprised to see Mecha Sonic, then talks a bit about the ambiguous continuity between Sonic 2 and Sonic CD.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • List
  10. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    A snapshot of Sega's old press FTP as uploaded to archive.org - I'm currently going through it. Despite being from 2008 almost all the content is from the Dreamcast days (and some curious Panzer Dragoon Orta shots that might be pre-Xbox). Only Yakuza breaks the trend.

https://archive.org/details/SEGAFTP2008

There's a bit of Sonic Adventure stuff in here. What's wrong with this logo?

[​IMG]

https://info.sonicretro.org/File:SegaPRFTP_SonicAdventure_SonicAdv_logo.png

[​IMG]

It's missing trees.

All of the currently known pre-releases have trees, as did content shown at the Tokyo International Forum when the game was first announced. Compositing mistake, or an earlier design?

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  11. MrMechanic

MrMechanic

So a few weeks ago, I uploaded a video on the History of Sega World at Disney's Epcot Resort. (See this thread)

Well, what I hoped would happen, much like with a lot of my vids is that someone would have some footage and be able to upload it... Annnnnd Someone has.

It turns out that on the Australian VHS release of 101 Dalmations, there's an advert for the Sega World at Epcot, and it includes a few very brief unique clips. Including a look at the base of the Sonic statue which shows the bouncy barrel rotating at... quite a fast speed!

There's also another clip of the TV studio Sonic statue that I talked about in my vid on it.

The full clip is only 20 seconds and not all of it is of Sega, but it's still quite a cool find.

12. Endgame

Endgame

Formerly The Growler Member
    Actually, you can just about faintly see part of the leaves [of the same tree] in the top-left side of the [Sonic's] 'N' in the first picture. They've just made the palm tree much more pronounced in the final logo.

I would imagine it was a design decision to show more of the palm tree - especially considering it's the style of Sonic's first proper level in the game.

13. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki

Jon Burton teaches you things you probably already know if you're on these boards. But everyone has to start somewhere.

• Informative Informative x 4
    • List
  14. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    How many times can Expert Software secretly release Sonic CD for the PC?

[​IMG]
    1 (1997)

[​IMG]
    2 (1997)

[​IMG]
    3 (1998)

[​IMG]
    4 (2000)

And never did they think to replace the broken screenshots.

Mysteries not solved:
    - how many of these came in big boxes?
    - do T-6805-02 01 and T-6805-03 01 copies exist?
    - are the contents on the discs any different?

15. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    "over 60 levels of adventure"
    That sounds just a tiny bit misleading.

16. minichapman

minichapman

I'd like to think I'll be imparting words of wisdo Member
    United Kingdom
    Staying sane.
    Well, to be fair. The PAL Mega-CD release says something similar on the back of the case boasting "over 70 levels"

17. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    It’s counting every single time zone in the game as a level. For instance, PalmTree Panic Zone 1 would be four different levels because there’s past, present, good future, and bad future.

18. Clownacy

Clownacy

Tech Member
    ...Which is why it's misleading.

19. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    ...But technically correct. :V

20. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Answer: compositing error. I've got ahold of a PSD from an old Dreamcast press disc, and the palmtrees are on a separate layer, doing weird Photoshop things.

[​IMG]

PSD support in Paint.NET is unofficial and in this case, kinda wonky. I'm going to hazard a guess that one or more of the marketing bods in charge were having similar rendering issues with their software.

Luckily it's 2020 and I have eyes:

https://info.sonicretro.org/File:DreamcastPressDisc4_SonicAdventure_SONICADVLOGO.png
    https://info.sonicretro.org/File:DreamcastPressDisc4_SonicAdventure_SONICADVLOGO_02.png

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List