don't click here

Sonic the Hedgehog (2020) movie

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Dark Sonic, Dec 7, 2013.

1. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    You know, one of my favorite things about the movie is that Sonic is there, from beginning to end. For some reason I was sort of afraid this would take the Venom route and not even introduce the title character until more than halfway through.

I'm just thankful for how this film turned out. It wasn't perfect, but it was just pleasing, and that's all that really matters to me. It'll certainly be a boon for the series in the long run. Also, Ben Schwartz is easily the best Sonic VA ever. He perfectly captures the heart and snark of the character and doesn't sound like a bad, over-the-top anime voice actor. I'm crossing my fingers that once Roger Craig Smith retires, Schwartz takes over.

2. Dek Rollins

Dek Rollins

size of a tangerine Member
    US
    When I saw the movie yesterday, + - in the lonely baseball scene when Sonic looks at the empty stands, a kid in the theater said "nobody's there" in a sad voice. I enjoyed that.  

+ - I think it's perfectly believable that the rings were still there. Under normal weather conditions, I certainly doubt the wind would get strong enough to blow a sack full of metal rings through the air.  

3. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    Also, just something to bring up:

At the beginning of the movie, I shouted "Sonic '06 is good" and the entire theater started cracking up. And when Tails showed up, the guy next to me said "where the fuckles is Knuckles?!"

4. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    Well, in one day, they could have slowly moved towards the edge, one gust of wind at a time. But yeah, this is a minor nitpicking, my main issue with this movie is the other thing I said before.

5. Antheraea

Antheraea

Bug Hunter Member
    + - I really like how the human characters are introduced by way of Sonic introducing them. I found that really charming.  

6. Linkabel

Linkabel

I think this is what I was talking about when I mentioned that this movie has the same problem from Sonic X.

And that is that it has to find ways for
    someone like Tom/Chris/human cast to do something significant and actually matter.

There's a million ways Sonic can make it to San Francisco without Tom. Like it's really funny when you think about it. Use Tom's phone with GPS, print out directions, get a map, follow road signs, or just run fast till he eventually gets to the city etc etc etc. It took Robotnik a while to upgrade his tech with Sonic's power so he had time. And then once there, he can just run up the building or wait till someone opens the elevator door.

But he can't because Tom needs to be involved and be important to the plot.

I wouldn't call it a plot hole though, but I'm not sure how to call it. It's like a "why doesn't Iron Man just call the rest of the Avengers" kind of deal. I mean he can, but then that would get in the way of the plot.

I do agree that the movie could've used more time to breathe. But in my opinion it should've been to get Sonic and Robotnik another fight after getting KO in Green Hills.[/spoilers]

7. Antheraea

Antheraea

Bug Hunter Member
    I like how they acknowledged that Sonic doesn't know where the hell it is, a small nod to that train of thought kind of put it to rest for me. And him having to go with Tom could also be seen as a symptom of the kind of hero-worship he has for him after basically spying on him for the past decade or so, much like a kid wanting a surrogate parent to help them.

8. Just got back from the theatre and I'm already planning to see it again with friends. It was far better than I dreamed it would be.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  9. Linkabel

Linkabel

Their relationship was surprisingly charming, and I do agree it's because of that surrogate parent angle.

10. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    Well, that ending in Sonic's new room with the trio sitting on the bed leaves no space for interpretation, they de facto adopted him, if that's not a family portrait by the book I don't know what it is.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  11. I thought it was just me. I love Schwartz Sonic, hes about perfect IMO.

12. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    is no one going to mention the Sanic early on?
    I really liked this movie. It was charming and fun. Predictable sure but it was a fun ride. I think this did the brand justice

13. Sid Starkiller

Sid Starkiller

Virginia, USA
    Paying off student loans
    You know what's really fun? Watching a movie about a guy who goes fast, and then getting stuck behind a bunch of poke-asses on the drive home. :argh:

Pretty much echo everyone else here, very enjoyable. Solid 7.5-8.
    It was hard not to cheer at the game references, especially hearing the Green Hill tune when they're fixing the house at the end.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  14. Knucklez

Knucklez

I love 2B 'n' ass. Member
    Just watched it and had a blast. Make it a point to watch it in theaters guys, it's well worth it.

There's also an end-credits scene so don't walk out until you see EVERYTHING!! My entire theater erupted and jumped shouting to where I couldn't hear almost anything from the scene. You will be pleasantly surprised and satisfied. The reaction in my theater was light years beyond any reaction from any Marvel movie or any other blockbuster I've watched. I was more in shock with that than the scene itself and I just cracked up with joy.

15. So, the sprites in the end-credits sequence. Which one of you guys is already working on porting Carrey-Robotnik into the Genesis games? We got a normal sprite, a damaged sprite, and even an example using the Green Hill wrecking ball.

Just saw it with my little brother, as in I'm still in the theater lobby. It was actually surprisingly good. I was expecting a lot worse. Thank god for the Sonic redesign, he's on-screen for the whole damn film. Good voice actor, didn't take too long to get used to the voice. Carrey was pretty good, and used his signature over-the-top-ness sparingly enough that you didn't get tired of it. I like his movies, but there have been a couple where he's just too much. He was pretty well-balanced here, where you enjoy his appearances at the end of the film just as much as the beginning.

Overall, a pretty enjoyable movie. Here's hoping that Doolittle is as good, I'm stuck watching that one in about an hour.

16. I had a lot of fun! The movie was definitely worth the wait imo. Great writing, performance and fan service. Jim Carrey's Robotnik was the highlight of the movie for me and Ben Schwartz did a great job at capturing Sonic's cocky and cool attidude, I'd love to see him make a return for future Sonic projects. However, I did think the pacing was a bit on the weird side and there were a few jokes that fell flat, but overall it was an amazing experience. Looking forward to a sequel if it happens.

17. JcFerggy

JcFerggy

Do you want to taco 'bout it? Member
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    GoldenEye: Source, Other Stuff
    Saw the movie earlier today and had an absolute blast. Honestly considering to go see it again tomorrow.

I really loved how Green Hill and presumably Mushroom Hill looked, and hope that a future sequel shows more interpretations of other zones.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020
  18. Boxer Hockey

Boxer Hockey

I've seen it in theatres twice now and the reaction that scene gets is unlike anything I've ever seen in a movie theatre. Like being in a stadium during a touchdown, completely deafening.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  19. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    Boy I sure wish the theater screening I went to was half as interesting as the ones I've been seeing on social media, but I guess that comes with living in a city that has roughly 225,000 people in it

20. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    Yea the whole "abuse of power" scene seems like a victim of a hasty edit.