don't click here

Sonic the Hedgehog (2020) movie

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Dark Sonic, Dec 7, 2013.

1. Agobue

Agobue

Turns out Sonic Mania is Ben Schwartz's favourite Sonic game.

2. I wonder if his involvement came about because of the redesign?

EDIT: my bad, it's on the wiki. The answer is yes

3. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    ^Yes Hesse was brought on board to help with the redesign. He wasn't a part of it initially.
    The man has tastes lol. I like how the interviewer was like "what's your favorite game that's NOT Sonic 1, 2, or 3." He knows. Also love how Ben Schwartz relates to the pain that is Death Egg Zone in Sonic 2. Fuck if that wasn't the bane of my childhood.

I just bought my tickets! I plan on seeing the movie tomorrow at 7:45.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2020
  4. Sid Starkiller

Sid Starkiller

Virginia, USA
    Paying off student loans
    You know, I may honestly bump it up to tomorrow just for that.

5. Gonna be honest, seeing the movie is getting a lot of positive feedback makes me smile.

6. IGN Italy gave the movie a 6.5 for "lack of expression." Did they watch the old design version?

7. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    They probably just didn’t like it. The old design has been completely wiped off the face of the earth now (apparently that first trailer was all that was finished).

8. Or IGN is being assholes again. After all this isn't the first time this has happened.

9. Yeah I'm happy it's not a trainwreck. Gonna go see it soon...

Hopefully if it does well, that means more money in Sega's pocket to funnel into making some good games

10. Naean

Naean

Naean H.F. (Nez Man) Member
    United Kingdom
    2D. Sonic Fan Game
    Hmm, that's interesting, because that first trailer claim contradicts the commentary in this video, starting around the 7:21 mark:

11. jubbalub

jubbalub

#1 Sonic Superstars defender Member
    This is incorrect. They mentioned that Sonic sometimes didn't mesh well with the environment, which sounds like a VFX snafu. People just twisted their words.

12. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

Did You Know Movies doesn't provide a source for their claim. See this IndieWire article, which is based on an account from someone who actually worked on the movie.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  13. Naean

Naean

Naean H.F. (Nez Man) Member
    United Kingdom
    2D. Sonic Fan Game
    Hmm, now I'm really curious where NormalBoots sourced their claim. Thanks for the link. :)

14. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!

Watch Ben Schwartz react to a Sonic 2 speedrun if the mood suits you lol

This is a neat series that IGN has been doing. They've had others where a game's developers have reacted to speedruns of their own games.

EDIT: Ben Schwartz insists on balancing on the end of act console. Good man, I do the same thing lol

15. TheWrongCentury

TheWrongCentury

The best part about memories is making them. Member
    Canada
    I haven't seen the movie yet, I plan on seeing it next Tuesday. I'm hoping that it'll be good, and that another 1 or 2 movies can be made. I just don't want them to stretch it out to something ridiculous, like 5 or 6 movies.

Who knows, maybe it'll even spark another tv show, though here's hoping for one better than SU.

16. Boxer Hockey

Boxer Hockey

I would say there were less than 5 fully rendered non-trailer scenes in the first cut I saw. Pretty typical for a vfx heavy movie like this.

• Informative Informative x 4
    • List
  17. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    So curious, what was in Sonic's place in the non animated scenes during said cut? A placeholder statue with the voiceover?

18. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

Please tell me how the audience reacted to Sonic. I'm imagining something like how Stan Marsh reacts when he's around a girl he likes.

19. Boxer Hockey

Boxer Hockey

A pre-viz placeholder. Just a simple version of the character that does basic gestures and simple expressions.

20. Antheraea

Antheraea

Bug Hunter Member
    can literally be an uncolored, very basic model T-posing, like in the workman's cut of X-Men Origins.