don't click here

Sonic the Hedgehog (2020) movie

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Dark Sonic, Dec 7, 2013.

1. TheWrongCentury

TheWrongCentury

The best part about memories is making them. Member
    Canada
    To be honest, I didn't read it. I skimmed because lately I've had a lot to read.
    Perhaps another shoe company will make a knock-off, it does happen.

2. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Oh no it's not those shoes I have a problem with, that's the point these are the ones that should exist. It's the other weird shoes they've made that are related to Sonic but are these weird designs that no one asked for.

3. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    More movie PR - Amazon Prime Now's delivery bags are movie themed.

[​IMG]

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  4. TheWrongCentury

TheWrongCentury

The best part about memories is making them. Member
    Canada
    I actually really like that. They're advertising all over the place, and it's great to see.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2020
  5. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member

• Like Like x 5
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  6. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Hesse, you beast of a man I will forever be both jealous and grateful for you lol

7. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

Same. I've never really found Sonic hard to draw, but boy, Hesse makes it look friggin' insane.

8. Fadaway

Fadaway

I can draw Sonic in my own style.

9. The kid in me is very happy to see Sonic back in the spotlight. Feels like 1994 again.

10. Nova

Nova

Booked to go and see it with some of the lads tomorrow night - words will likely end up on the front page in some form or another. Watch this space!

11. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/sonic_the_hedgehog_2020

With 42 reviews so far the movie has a Rotten Tomatoes average of 64%, with about 2/3rds of the reviewers liking it and 1/3 not. Which honestly? Not bad. I wasn't expecting a cinematic masterpiece but it at least seems like an enjoyable experience and not a dumpster fire. Maybe this is justttt good enough to give the brand some of the limelight again.

In comparison Detective Pikachu has a 69% on Rotten tomatoes. So for a video game movie not bad at all.

EDIT: Now it has 54 reviews and it is now at 69%. Looking good!

12. Sid Starkiller

Sid Starkiller

Virginia, USA
    Paying off student loans
    64% ain't bad. Guess I will see it, then. Next week, though. Got some Fire Emblem DLC to play first.

13. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

I'm seeing it tonight. I'll tell you guys what I think ASAP.

14. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    Sonic Stadium's review is up.
    Guess I won't be cringing in the seat next to my nephew. :V

15. Now I have even more excuses to see this movie.

16. Level Zone Act

Level Zone Act

Arstechnica's review mentions an interesting little detail about the film's opening/Sonic's backstory, which is reminiscent of an obscure bit of old Sonic lore (though I doubt it's an intentional reference):

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2020...film-review-you-can-slow-your-roll-sega-fans/

Sonic raised by an owl sounds reminiscent of the origin used in Stay Sonic (pg 17 of the book, pg23 of the PDF):

https://info.sonicretro.org/index.php?title=File:StaySonic_Book_UK.pdf&page=23
    As far as I know, that was the only ever reference to Sophocles the Owl. IIRC, none of the other things that used the Stay Sonic/Kintobor origin (Sonic the Comic, the adventure gamebooks and "Martin Adams" novels) ever mentioned him.

Even the Sega of America Sonic Bible documents (of which Stay Sonic was largely a word-for-word copy) don't mention an owl - here are their pages on the other animals:

From Sonic Bible Draft 1: Page 11
    From Sonic Bible Draft 2: Page 9 and Page 15

So if it is an intentional reference (which I doubt), it's an extremely obscure one!

And as for the film owl's name... is it possible that "Littlefoot" could be a reference to "Johnny Lightfoot" (the rabbit)?

17. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    Guess my predictions of the former coming true with each passing day were right. At this point, there is absolutely no way this is not going to be a financial success or get any sequels greenlit for production over the next few weeks.

So congrats to the cast, production crew, and the rest of Paramount involved in getting this film off the ground. Most of the reviews confirmed my personal fears with the story and script; but Sonic and Carrey’s Eggman are more than likable enough, which reportedly is all that really matters for most.

I just wish a concept for a Sonic movie (if one had to be made at all) didn’t have to be spent on such a rote direction; but hey, that’s just what I think.

18. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Now the movie has 56 reviews and it's at 70%! That's better than most of the games somehow lol.

Here's hoping this leads to good things.

19. Agobue

Agobue

Sonic the Hedgehog movie: Critics put the brakes on
    The reviews are in for the new-and-improved Sonic the Hedgehog movie, and the critics have been getting their (human) teeth stuck in.

The trailer was out last May, but Sonic went back to the drawing board after fans reacted badly to how he looked.

Variety said he "has been redesigned to satisfy fans, but no-one figured out how to make him as fun as he is fast".

And IndieWire declared that "fixing Sonic's terrifying face hasn't made this movie any less of a nightmare".

Jim Carrey plays Dr Robotnik, who - as well as the US government - is chasing the supersonic Sega hedgehog, portrayed in voice and facial motion capture by Ben Schwartz.

The Guardian gave the film two stars, noting how "dastardly Jim Carrey gives Sonic the blues".

The paper's critic Steve Rose wrote: "Carrey's moustache-twirling villain is more fun and far more animated than the charmless hero in this derivative caper."

The Telegraph was similarly unenthused. "The video game speed freak [is] slowed down to a drab, joyless crawl," wrote Robbie Collin.

Before he was a movie star, Sonic first appeared as a thrill-seeking Sega video game character in the early-90s.

The New York Times concluded that the "Sega adaptation hedges its bets". Ben Kenigsberg wrote: "Improvements to Sonic's appearance haven't done much for a generic script."

The film finds sheriff Tom Wachowski - portrayed by James Mardsen - befriend Sonic and aid him in his quest to stop Robotnik's world domination.

Some found heart-warming elements to enjoy. "Sonic the Hedgehog is really a buddy comedy about Tom and Sonic," wrote Gamespot's Phil Hornshaw. "And it's at its best when it leans into that dynamic."

He added: "Schwartz is a perfect choice for this version of Sonic, who's a little irreverent and intensely tuned in to American pop culture somehow, but also earnest and upbeat."

"He's too cute not to love," pleaded Dami Lee in The Verge - but with a caveat.

"The new Sonic is so adorable that it almost makes up for a pretty generic plot and a human cast that play the roles of 'heroic' and 'bad' so straight, they could be extras in The Good Place."

Sonic the Hedgehog is out on Friday.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-51487371

20. Truner

Truner

Got back from the film.

I feel like they did justice to the franchise. Had this came out 20 years ago, kid me would've been absolute bonkers about this. I hope a sequel will follow sooner rather than later.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List