don't click here

Sonic the Hedgehog (2020) movie

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Dark Sonic, Dec 7, 2013.

1. Linkabel

Linkabel

For what it's worth I saw Birds of Prey and Sonic (through an advance screening) last week and both were fun to watch.

I do feel like BoP should've had a better box office results, but sometimes good movies don't stick the landing.

It's also hard to predict the box office results.

Right now there's people predicting that Sonic might only do $20 million because Valentine's day is going to get in the way, and not a lot of families are going to bother to go even if it's a three-day holiday weekend. Some people have it doing $47 million because they do think families are going to go because of the holiday weekend.

We won't really know until it gets here.

2. qwertysonic

qwertysonic

creating the biggest sonic collection
  3. Linkabel

Linkabel

4. Glaber

Glaber

Has Beaten Sonic Genesis for GBA Oldbie
    What's the Metacritic rating?

5. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Oh ffs. Ya good call Sega, now go license some more trash shoes no one asked for.

6. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    It's a 60/100 right now, but from far fewer reviews (59 to RT's 308).

7. Endgame

Endgame

Formerly The Growler Member
    IMO, It's more likely they "listened" to the fans because they knew they'd lose more money on the film as it was - because of such a great backlash from practically everybody.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2020
  8. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Ya they figured the fans would hate the design but they didn't expect the general public would hate the design as well. They had to redesign Sonic or else it'd of failed miserably.

I mean it seems to have worked out for them though. The redesign generated a lot of good will and better marketing materials.

9. Nah, no way am I giving them money for this. I work at a movie theater, so I get to watch movies for free, so I have no reason to spend money on a film I'm not particularly excited for. Fans have absolutely zero obligation to give them money if they don't want to. We're customers and consumers, and they're a business. We owe them nothing.

10. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    Slant published a review but then swiftly took it down. It's probably because the embargo hasn't dropped just yet (we've still got some waiting).

For those curious, it wasn't exactly a rave. It was 1.5/5 stars; the reviewer said that (A) it's a video game movie and (B) Jim Carrey ruined it. However, it's worth noting that Slant is known to be pretty critical, so this may not be representative of the overall reception.

EDIT: looks like CBR and Bounding into Comics have their reviews ready but haven't made them public. The caption for BiC's looks like it's a positive review.

11. lopinjop

lopinjop

Sonic 25th Anniversary Party Enthusiast Member
    Agreed that we don't owe SEGA anything and that there is no pressing need for Sonic fans to see this movie.

As for the respect owed to the redesign: From my perspective, improving the design of movie Sonic from "a creature of the nightmare dimension" to "something that reasonably resembles Sonic" is a super low bar to clear. Beyond that, it's likely that the redesign involved numerous hours of crunch for the animators behind the scenes given this article about the studio that worked on the redesign for the movie - https://www.cartoonbrew.com/busines...-king-shuts-down-vancouver-studio-183671.html

I don't respect SEGA's carelessness with the Sonic franchise and Paramount's initial bungling of Sonic's design which led to more public ridicule of Sonic and more headaches for animators.

I'm also super disinterested in giving money to a movie that contains, in my opinion, almost no Sonic content aside from Sonic himself.

I recognize that the movie could be fun, for sure. It looks like an enjoyable Jim Carey romp featuring Sonic. It's just not what I would like to see from the franchise. If it's what other people want from Sonic, that's totally fair. Sonic isn't just one thing, so if this new movie universe takes off and becomes a mainline branch of the Sonic universe, that's fine. I understand why some are interested in the movie, it looks fun. It's just not for me. I'd personally love to see something like Sonic Mania Adventures: The Movie, which I recognize is likely to never happen.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  12. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    [​IMG]
    There's a new poster for the Japanese release. Looks pretty cool tbh.

God I still can only imagine what the marketing would look like had they stuck with the original awful design.

13. Sid Starkiller

Sid Starkiller

Virginia, USA
    Paying off student loans
    I've been trying not to. *shudder*

14. Yash

Yash

CHOCOLATE! Member
  15. lopinjop

lopinjop

Sonic 25th Anniversary Party Enthusiast Member
    That's a good looking poster, and while I have my issues with the movie, the Sonic redesign looks really cool here.

16. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    I want those shoes...

17. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    What the actual Sonic ones or the ones that are like, Green Hill or Eggman inspired or something that are like fuzzy blue with checkerboards on them or look like they're made of red plastic?

18. trakker

trakker

The guy that's been warned! Member
    They could make shoes like this IRL, these shoes are based on existing shoes Puma make called 'dare'
    [​IMG]
    They could just do a pallet swap for easy money, but instead they seemed to make about 3/4 different types of branded Sonic movie trainers.

19. TheWrongCentury

TheWrongCentury

The best part about memories is making them. Member
    Canada
    Personally, I like the shoes. They look very close to the ones that Sonic is wearing in the movie. If you want them, get them. If you don't want them, don't get them. I'm just glad that the option exists.

20. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Did you even read any of the posts? The option doesn't exist. Puma are only making five pairs of those shoes and they're not available to purchase.