don't click here

Was the released version of Sonic 3 really just a prototype?

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Agobue, Feb 7, 2020.

1. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    Mega Collection is just emulation. Every direct port of the game has added the Spin Dash IIRC

2. Dek Rollins

Dek Rollins

size of a tangerine Member
    US
    But Mega Collection is the one that fixed the spike bug. That's what I was referring to.

EDIT: Obviously the mobile versions also fixed the bug, but those were rebuilt from the ground up by Taxman. To my memory, the Mega Collection ROM is the only "regular" version of the game that fixed it.

Either way, hat's not the point I was trying to make. I'm still pretty sure that it was in fact an unintentional glitch.

Regarding the actual topic, I was just trying to get across that the other games weren't without their own bugs.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2020
  3. Sid Starkiller

Sid Starkiller

Virginia, USA
    Paying off student loans
    Checked the wiki: Apparently Mega Collection was the only version to change the spikes but not add the spindash.

4. Dek Rollins

Dek Rollins

US
    Yeah, I actually just turned on the GameCube to make sure I was remembering right, haha. But, other than Taxman's, has any other version changed the spikes? I know Jam didn't, and Mega Collection was at least the first version to do that.

5. Sid Starkiller

Sid Starkiller

Virginia, USA
    Paying off student loans
    Actually, apparently Jam did change it, BUT if you turned the spindash option on, it would change back. Not the slightest clue why.

6. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    Probably just authenticity reasons.

7. Frostav

Frostav

IIRC in S1's code there is very specific deliberate code that makes spikes ignore mercy invincibility. Why they chose to do that? Who knows. But it's there.

• Informative Informative x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  8. Sid Starkiller

Sid Starkiller

Virginia, USA
    Paying off student loans
    I had kind of thought, just like how spikes instantly kill MegaMan, spikes were intended to be more dangerous to Sonic than other obstacles. Obviously if that's the case, it didn't come across very well.

9. Antheraea

Antheraea

Bug Hunter Member
    Unfinished releases? To me those are not prototypes, they are simply unfinished/bugged shipped product. A prototype implies that it is an unfinished and generally not meant to release version of the game, squirreled away to be worked on or shown internally.

Otherwise we can legitimately call Sonic 06 a prototype, as unfinished and buggy as that game is, with literal in-game prompts referring to things that don't exist. :V

10. Dek Rollins

Dek Rollins

US
    Interesting. According to the wiki page debate on it still stands, so I guess I may be wrong. I recall reading years ago that they confirmed it as a glitch. But memory can be faulty.

11. Agobue

Agobue

Did nobody ever have this happen to them while playing Hydrocity Zone?

12. Chibisteven

Chibisteven

US
    Yes. It's why I move slowly into the boss areana when I'm Super Sonic.

13. There's a difference between the released version of the game being "a prototype" and the released version having bugs. Several games from that era had bugs and glitches - including major ones! - but nobody asks if those games are prototypes. This topic is dumb.

RE: Sonic 1 spike behavior: It's been debated heavily, I think the latest conclusion was "it was deliberate," but not everyone was convinced and the debate still surfaces from time to time.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • List
  14. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    There's separate code to handle collisions with spikes, but that doesn't mean "they deliberately wanted spikes to handle differently". For example, spikes were probably one of the first objects coded, before collisions were dealt with on a general basis.

As for Sonic 3 being a prototype, not really. As buggy as Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles are on their own, combined they have a far greater number of bugs.

Case in point.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  15. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    I think they had plenty of time to notice that the spikes didn't work as intended and, even after one Sonic 1 revision, the behavior wasn't changed until late in Sonic 2's development.

So I'd say it was definitely the intended behavior.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2020
  16. Antheraea

Antheraea

Bug Hunter Member
    Actually. hm. I don't recall there being a mention of when the spike behavior was changed in our prototype timeline (TCRF has a very elaborate set of articles on level layout changes, so we at least have one half of the data to extrapolate this from). I wonder if the Mystic Cave Zone placement was before or after?

TCRF does mention that when you look at it a few prototypes in a row, the placement is there to prevent another "wait til time over" bug (the bridge closes over the opening, trapping you in), but no mention of how the spikes are actually handled at that point.

17. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
  18. Antheraea

Antheraea

Bug Hunter Member
    I really kind of hate how our info is scattered across a bunch of different articles...

So it turns out that spike pit was made in Beta 5. So it happened at the same time; I don't think I'd say that the placement of the spike pit was due to the original spike behavior...

19. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Ok, just removed that from my post.

20. Dr. Mecha

Dr. Mecha

Dallas, TX
    3d Models
    An Unfinished game : technically yes; A Prototype : technically no.