don't click here

Sonic the Hedgehog (2020) movie

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Dark Sonic, Dec 7, 2013.

1. Antheraea

Antheraea

Bug Hunter Member
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  2. Agobue

Agobue

Robotnik interviews Robotnik.

3. jubbalub

jubbalub

#1 Sonic Superstars defender Member
    Actual, real leaks for the Sonic movie appeared on Twitter. If you care about not being spoiled, be wary about going on social media.

That being said, here's a big leak:
    No, seriously, it's pretty huge, don't click if you don't want to get spoiled
    A character appears in one of the post-credits scenes
    https://twitter.com/_yung_kate_/status/1226191058679353344

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  4. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    Neat.
    Shame it's post credit only. But then again, I can't say I'm terribly surprised.
    Wonder what he looked like before the redesign?

5. jubbalub

jubbalub

#1 Sonic Superstars defender Member
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2020
  6. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Yep, that's about what I expected.

7. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    Spoilers are starting to appear in my YouTube recommendations, too. I know I said I'm on the fence still, but I want to hear opinions first, not see crucial bits of the film, before deciding to see it.

8. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    Anyone figured out who the voice actor is?

9. DreamsComeBlue

DreamsComeBlue

It's kind of hard not to figure from this comment that the leak is
    a character.
    And out of the
    two
    it could be, only one seems realistic for the first Sonic movie.

10. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    The voice actor is Lidia Sadowa. She's been listed with the rest of the crew but nobody noticed lol

Last edited: Feb 9, 2020
  11. Mecha Sally

Mecha Sally

Oldbie
  12. As an add-on: Xavier Woods is a big gamer, he's showcased his video game knowledge in videos several times. It's neat to see that he likes the experience of watching the movie! It might be worth actually paying attention to haha

13. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    Although I’m still of the opinion that I’d rather see this film barely break even at best and that this doesn’t get any sequels; I’m actually going to vouch that there is one good thing that could happen if this movie is successful financially.

I’ve seen and engaged in some debates about the status of Sonic as a brand nowadays, whether he counts as a “niche” series or not, due to how many of the recent games have performed with the current strategy and how Sega has culled a number of varying Sonic products over the years. I think the movie is going to be a real litmus rest of that contention, since we haven’t seen any Sonic project promoted this heavily for a good while.

We all know how much Sega has pulled back on budgets and general advertising for Sonic games in favor of heavily recycling content, drip-feeding information, and hyping up cryptic teasers, concept art, and silhouette teasers; among other things. All of this stuff can be traced to be in place as far back as the Sonic 4 days, and I think it goes without saying that a fair number of us (myself included) are sick of one, some, or all of these policies by this point.

A Sonic product with a sizable production and marketing budget that’s actually successful could prompt Sega to at the very least have second thoughts about their current handling of series and try to treat him with more confidence and with more resources as they used to in the past.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2020
  14. Yash

Yash

CHOCOLATE! Member
    I'm of the opinion they should have tried having a game release coincide with the movie, but eh.

Remains to be seen how this movie fares with the critics, but if it does good business and breaks the glass ceiling on video game adaptations, that would give the franchise a lot more visibility than Generations or Mania did considering people still talk about Sonic 06 as if it set the standard for the series.

I'm hoping first and foremost that it's good, but also that it does well anyway for similar reasons to you. It could be the kick in the pants the series needs.

15. Antheraea

Antheraea

Bug Hunter Member
    hahahahahah god no. I could see any other company doing that, but not Sega. Rise of Lyric was rushed to coincide with Boom's show and merch; 06 was rushed for the holiday season. A game coming out alongside the movie would be rushed for the movie's release date (yes, even after the delay; Sega's management is garbage).

16. I'm a simple guy. I want to go to the movie and hopefully enjoy it.

There are no promises of change attached to this. If It does really well, it can only help Sonic, not hurt him. If SEGA had said "this movie will determine the future direction of the series" like they did with Forces and Mania I'd be a lot more concerned in general. But that's not what's happening.

I think I'm going to have a good time. The film I expect to be on par with the pikachu movie, which was decent if not good.

17. Ayu Tsukimiya

Ayu Tsukimiya

UGUU~ Member
    People have been saying this stuff for years, but I really don't think either of those things are going to happen. Nobody's going to forget Sonic 06 because it's too easy to start your video or open an article referencing it, and Sega's bad management isn't going anywhere if it hasn't already left in the past decade and a half.

18. Sid Starkiller

Sid Starkiller

Virginia, USA
    Paying off student loans
    And on the Hollywood side of things, if it does well, it will teach Hollywood that listening to and addressing fan complaints is a good thing. You know damn well that if it tanks, they'll blame the time and money spent on the redesign.

19. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I don't think they'll blame the redesign. Even they can't be that dense. They know they gained good will from the redesign and also how much everyone hated the original design.

20. lopinjop

lopinjop

Sonic 25th Anniversary Party Enthusiast Member
    The new clips of the movie I've seen gave me a few chuckles, so maybe the film will be an okay time. I'm still torn on whether or not I want to see it in theaters or wait to stream it.

On one hand, the new clips and trailers present a lighthearted romp that could be decent fun, but on the other, I don't want to support SEGA in its unambitious effort to make a Sonic movie with almost no Sonic content.

As for the significance this movie will have on the franchise and for public interest in Sonic? I'm gonna guess that this movie, just like the Smurfs and Chipmunk movies before it, will kick up some limited interest for a short amount of time before fading into the background to be largely forgotten.

I don't think there's any way this "revives" the franchise unless they just move everything over to the movie universe. I'm also surprised there's no announcement of a tie-in game. I'm still holding out though. I really want there to be 5 separate video game universes of Sonic to really up the confusion. Classic, Adventure, Modern, Boom, and Movie.