don't click here

SXSW 2020 Sonic the Hedgehog Panel - 20th March

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Pengi, Feb 6, 2020.

1. Pengi

Pengi

https://schedule.sxsw.com/2020/events/OE39937

Gotta Go Fast: The Official Sonic the Hedgehog Panel

Sonic the Hedgehog is back at SXSW! Join special guests from SEGA and Sonic Team as they talk about the latest for the blue blur and his next steps for 2020 and beyond. There’s almost always a special announcement or two to be had, so be sure to stay tuned!

MAR 20, 2020 | 3:00PM – 4:00PM
    PALMER EVENTS CENTER
    DISCOVERY STAGE

• Informative Informative x 3
    • List
  2. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    Yeah, that’s probably our next game announcement. I know it’s unreasonable to expect an Adventure game, but I hope it won’t be a boost game at least. They more or less did everything they could with this gameplay style.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2020
  3. TheOcelot

TheOcelot

Scooty Puff Jr sucks! Member
    Last year at SXSW Iizuka confirmed development on the next Sonic game had begun, so it's reasonable to expect at least a teaser trailer for the new game in this years event. I still think a 2021 release is more likely because it will be the 30th anniversary year (perhaps we'll get two main games, like with Mania & Forces in 2017).

4. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    As long as their next game is focused and polished the next game can be whatever. And FFS keep Classic Sonic out of the Modern games. But man would I love another Mania esq title. They'd be foolish not to, that game brought so much good will.

5. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    Sonic Team has kind of burned out my goodwill for them after Lost World and Forces. If they start with this teaser nonsense and little gameplay footage until 6 months before release, I'm just gonna tune them out. I need to see staff who've proven competent in Sonic level design, but we usually don't see that until the credits screen, and by then it's too late. No level designers from Unleashed, Colors or Generations worked on Lost World or Forces, and it shows.

And for fuck's sake, no more Green Hill or Chemical Plant. They've been played to death.

6. Just curious: what do you mean keep classic out of the modern games? I hear this a lot. Do you mean modern as in '3D' games in general? Or do you just mean games that focus more on the so called 'modern' interpretation of sonic that has existed since the adventure games?

If you mean you dont want to see classic in 3D period, please let me know. That has been my video game dream since 1996, so we will have to settle this on the street somewhere. Choose :D.

If other, sure fine. Modern doesnt really have a consistent identity anyway.

At this point I dont mind if SEGA wants both to exist or not. They can be two different interpretations for different audiences, whatever. But classic sonic and his universe should get a try in 3D. I personally think it would kick ass. Modern Sonic should not have a monopoly on the 3D concept the same way classic doesnt own 2D.

7. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

I think he literally means don't do the same bullshit that Forces did by forcing Classic Sonic into the game as a separate character. Cute and very appreciated in the love letter that was Generations, and absolute crap anywhere else.

Just an FYI, that's what almost everyone means when they say "keep Classic out of Modern".

8. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    Can’t wait for this year’s announcement of an announcement. The hype is unreal.

9. nesboy43

nesboy43

I wish we can get a game like Mania but entirely new stages. Classic Sonic in 3D sounds amazing though as a concept and I loved it in Jam and Sonic R.

10. Boxer Hockey

Boxer Hockey

I reaaallly wish people saw these as a little thing that's done to connect with the community and stopped expecting it to be some Main Stage E3 presentation.

11. Pengi

Pengi

Last year, Iizuka said that 2021 would be the "next big year for Sonic".

March 2020 seems way too early to release a trailer for a 2021 game. Sonic Forces got a super early teaser trailer, but I don't think that's necessarily the norm. Part of that might have been to stop a flood of "Why aren't you making a 3D game?" after the Sonic Mania reveal. Nintendo did the same thing with Metroid - they revealed Samus Returns on 3DS, but also had a little teaser for Metroid Prime 4. A couple of weeks after revealing Pokemon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon, The Pokemon Company had to come out and say "Of course we're also developing a new Pokemon game on Switch, you idiots."

12. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Although I'm in full agreement with you on this and expect nothing more than a community panel, you can't exactly blame people when the precedent is there. The past few years that they've held these panels there's always been news about upcoming games. Even TSR got a new trailer last year, despite the fact that the game would have already been out for months by then if it hadn't been delayed.

13. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    I can't speak for anyone else, but if I were to say "keep Classic out of Modern" I would mean it in the sense of "let's have one cohesive gameplay style, not three games in a trenchcoat".

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  14. RDNexus

RDNexus

This event has a Q&A, right?
    Couldn't someone, this year, ask if they couldn't unveil publicly the SA1 concept arts and renders shown at a Music Experience?
    I think it'd something great to the community.

15. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Wouldn't you rather know about how Sonic would meet The Joker if there was a Sonic and Batman crossover?

These types of events are attended by all sorts. Great avenue for asking these kinds of questions, but amongst the myriad of fans out there all with their own interests, it's unlikely that any "important" (for lack of a better term) questions will be asked and answered.

16. RDNexus

RDNexus

I remember that Q&A... Truly disappointing.
    How can those guys call themselves fans?

17. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Please tell me that you're not serious. Without wanting to jump to conclusions, that guy doesn't seem to be operating socially and mentally in the same way you you and I are. He's just a fan of both Sonic and Batman, and got this opportunity to ask representatives from SEGA about something he loves. He doesn't recognise that his question seemed so absurd and laughable to everyone else watching. It's fine. A bit annoying that questions like his got asked instead of ones that are probably going to be interesting and insightful to a great many more people, but he's pretty valid wanting to ask such a thing. It doesn't make him any less of a fan.

You get the whole "all Sonic fans are autists" crap thrown around a lot, and this guy may or may not be autistic. So apologies if you're joking, I just want to be sure.

All that said, I do wish that the questions would be screened first. Just so that there was a balance of question types, you know? We don't need any more people, with the best of intentions, just saying "when will sonic adventure 3 be made and will you announce it at e3"

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  18. RDNexus

RDNexus

I...wasn't really joking, to be honest... :specialed:
    True, people like him have all the right to ask about what's more interesting to him.
    But the questions are limited, and there's so much stuff we, as a community, would love to know. That's all.

19. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

I totally agree. But not everyone is a part of this community, or is interested in what we'd like to know. Some people just want to know what would happen if Sonic had a crossover game with Batman and met The Joker. :V

20. Nova

Nova

Hard disagree. We had one game that was 40% good, but bogged down by the other 60%, one game that was mostly 2D platforming due to hardware limitations, one that was an anniversary project full of old levels we've seen before and one that was a pale imitation of what had come before with terrible level design.

There is so much more they can do with the boost formula that they've arguably barely scratched the surface. Just say you don't like it.