don't click here

Sonic the Hedgehog (2020) movie

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Dark Sonic, Dec 7, 2013.

1. Sir_mihael

Sir_mihael

DON'T TRUST THIS MAN Member
    Well shit, I've been enjoying these clips so far. So either these are the only good parts of an otherwise horrible movie, or this might end up actually being frightfully okay-ish!
    ...What a world we live in.

2. jubbalub

jubbalub

#1 Sonic Superstars defender Member
    Man, now I wished I hadn't watched these. They're great. Especially that last one, I would've loved to see that in the theater. Hopefully there are many more moments like that in the movie.

3. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

I've seen three different scenes now where a bad thing happens and Sonic quips "that's not good". It's not even in a catch-phrase fashion; it's just a really bad joke. In fact, the same joke that worms it's into every film or TV that tries to make sure that you know it's not taking itself too seriously. See spoiler for videos and time stamps:
    1) 0:12

2) 0:24

3) 0:35
    I don't get it. It's not even remotely funny on any of those occasions. And it sounds like the first and second clips might even be the exact same voice (see also Sonic's line "you'll never catch me"), so are they cutting and pasting jokes from multiple scenes here, or is the script just that bad that it makes the same joke three times?

Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
  4. Boxer Hockey

Boxer Hockey

The voice clip in the first one is a re-use from the second. It's not what he says in that scene, you can tell. it doesn't lip-sync.

5. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Right, which is what I thought. Still though, a bad "joke" that's clearly used twice. It's just starting the obvious loudly so it's not too serious.

I don't really watch many action or comedy films at all, so this this film is totally lost on me regardless of any personal misgivings. I just don't think it looks very good at all.

6. Antheraea

Antheraea

Bug Hunter Member
    don't forget, lines tend to be redubbed or edited for trailers, especially for kid's movies. Seriously, go watch some trailers for some movies you really like and it'll become rather noticeable.

Sometimes it gets as dramatic as redoing greenscreen. In the Thor Ragnarok trailer, Hela grabs Mjolnir in a city alley, but in the actual movie, it's literally in a nordic meadow. They redid that background entirely (which is probably why it looks like ass).

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  7. Flare

Flare

The sticky bomb scene made me chuckle, felt very nostalgic for Looney Toons.

Also, it's a small thing, but I love the animation of him speeding out the truck before it has fully stopped. I know its Sonic, he's fast, but I love how they are using his speed in more ways than just long distance running. Reminds me of his costume changes in AOSTH and well the mirror scene in The Mask.

8. Turbohog

Turbohog

Instead of Sonic saying "That's not good" all the time he should obviously be saying "That's NO good", his true catchphrase.

9. Boxer Hockey

Boxer Hockey

What you learn really quick working on cartoons or family films is that filler dialogue like that always gets laughs at test screenings and therefore you never can make a case to take it out. "It's not funny" sadly never holds up to the boss when the audience keeps laughing at someone getting hit in the face and then yelling "I'm okay!"

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  10. Mecha Sally

Mecha Sally

Oldbie
    I'm actually kinda hoping for a cameo where Jaleel White says "That's NO good". If that gets into the movie, it would be awesome.

...but they're probably not clever enough to think of that, are they? >.>

11. Fadaway

Fadaway

I've said it all along: two '90s icons for a film can't be a bad thing. I still hope we see Jim sing I Am the Walrus (“I am the eggman!!”) in this film a la his karaoke performance in Cable Guy. A few extra bucks spent for the rights to use it or something. I'm optimistic about this. Jim looks like he's having fun with it. Classic Jim Carrey may be back. I dunno. I'm sure there are lots of nods to the games. Family film sure. Sonic canon, prob hardly. It already looks better than the Smurfs to me so that's something. Although, it does share some similarities. Not into this genre so much but this looks bonkers and might be ok. Tyson, your design is all win.

12. Dek Rollins

Dek Rollins

size of a tangerine Member
    US
    Just bought my ticket for opening night. If any more clips come out before the release I'll probably try to avoid them from now on. I'd like to be surprised as much as possible.

13. Flare

Flare

Still one my favourite covers of the song.

14. Fadaway

Fadaway

Perfect!

15. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I look at these clips and just have to wonder what all this would have looked like with the gremlin?

16. Yash

Yash

CHOCOLATE! Member
    This reminds me of some behind-the-scenes stuff from Into the Spider-Verse where the directors actually did succeed in cutting out some huge laugh lines because they ruined the moment, though Lord and Miller (two of the directors) probably have a lot more pull after Lego Movie was such a huge hit for them.

Sonic also seems a bit airier than Spider-Verse, so there’s that. I’ll be impressed if it’s able to stir up some feels.

17. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    That sounds depressingly unsurprising. Reminds me of the Sherlock Gnomes trailer where they hit some of the most pervasive gags in kids/family films (fart jokes, the most obvious puns, twerking)...but surprisingly enough, those who saw the movie noted that none of those gags (or at least, the worst of them) are actually in the film.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  18. Shaddix Leto Croft

Shaddix Leto Croft

Goodbye *Mwah* AND GOODNIGHT Member
    [​IMG]
    So if you book a ticket with Cineworld in the UK, you will receive a free exclusive Sonic The Hedgehog movie poster. Curious if any other cinema's will be getting anything special if you book with them now.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  19. jubbalub

jubbalub

#1 Sonic Superstars defender Member
    Damn I'd like to have that in my room.

20. Powpuck

Powpuck

Are the arms on that post the correct color, or is it just my septic brain?