don't click here

Sonic the Hedgehog (2020) movie

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Dark Sonic, Dec 7, 2013.

1. Powpuck

Powpuck

A triple digit IQ just requires slightly above average intellect.

2. Sir_mihael

Sir_mihael

DON'T TRUST THIS MAN Member
    After doing a lot of good serious roles, I wonder if Jim Carrey enjoyed going back to being a bit more 'classic Carrey' with Robotnik? I get the impression he might have had a bit more fun doing this one so wouldn't mind getting paid to do it again!

(in b4 a retrospective documentary reveals everyone had a rubbish time on set like with the Mario movie :V)

3. Yash

Yash

CHOCOLATE! Member
    I think that’s a deliberate joke on Carrey’s part.

It’s interesting because when Carrey was at his height (mid-90s), the whole cinematic universe, everything is a trilogy by default, etc. trends in filmmaking didn’t really exist. He was in Batman Forever back when even the superhero movies were treated as one-and-dones that might get a sequel and when major cast changes weren’t that unusual (even Tommy Lee Jones’ role in that movie was previously Billy Dee Williams, whereas that was Val Kilmer’s only Batman).

The only movie of his I think fits into that formula was the Lemony Snicket movie in 04, but the studio didn’t have enough faith in it to put sequels into production right away even though it did well, and the kids aged out of the roles almost immediately. Sonic on the other hand we know Paramount supposedly wants a trilogy and Robotnik spinoff, so Carrey would know going into it this might be a longer-term commitment.

I know historically Carrey doesn’t like doing sequels (I believe he had a negative experience with the second Ace Ventura), though he also did Dumb & Dumber To recently so maybe his perspective on that has changed. Fronting a franchise like Sonic might be a nice change of pace for him anyway, now that he’s more than proven himself as a dramatic actor when people initially didn’t take him very seriously.

4. Tets

Tets

one rude dude Oldbie
    Lately I've been thinking this could be a perfectly acceptable movie, inoffensive at the very least. Like, it's no Detective Pikachu I'm sure, but ever since they zeroed in on a reasonable character design that doesn't look like the family dog's chew toy, I've been feeling just OK about it as a Sonic fan. Probably won't see it in a theater, on account of I'm basically a hermit, but I'll get the bluray when it drops. It'll be nice to see Jim Carrey in a more comedic role again, and I like that Ben Schwartz, he's a pretty funny guy and has a great voice for Sonic. I can't ask for much more than that.

5. Dek Rollins

Dek Rollins

size of a tangerine Member
    US
    Considering Detective Pikachu wasn't actually a good movie by any stretch of the imagination, I sure hope this'll be at least that decent.

6. Boxer Hockey

Boxer Hockey

I like it more than Detective Pikachu. Though I’m not an impartial third party I guess.

7. jubbalub

jubbalub

#1 Sonic Superstars defender Member
    As a person who's only Pokemon game is Pokemon XD, I really liked Detective Pikachu. I'm not expecting Sonic to be any better than that, however I must say that the impressions that have surfaced since the premiere have made me cautiously optimistic.

8. Vangar

Vangar

Did you work on the movie?

9. Crappy Blue

Crappy Blue

Knuckles' Chaotix is a perfect game with no flaws Member
    [​IMG]

He did.

• Informative Informative x 4
    • List
  10. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    Reportedly the movie had its world premiere a few days ago, and with the general release just two weeks away, I imagine reviews should be here sooner than we think. Had this movie stuck with the old design I imagine this would not had been screened for critics at all, but the positive response to the redesign (and the confident marketing campaign leading it) has me thinking we might see advance reviews coming out as early as this week.

By this point I’m honestly unsure how this is going to land in terms of critical consensus. It feels like the Sonic design/character is where the studio is putting all of chips on as the element that saves this movie. A silly comment I’m sure some here will say, since what live-action/CG film doesn’t do that, but it’s more pronounced for Sonic due to that first design and awful taste it left in nearly everyone’s mouth and how the redesign is suppose to turn the public around on the film.

The Sonic character is either going to be strong/likable enough that it saves the movie as passable family fun, or it’s not going to distract (or worse, accentuate) the problems the rest of the movie has (namely with the story/script, I imagine). Even after the trailer with the redesign, I was sure it was going to be the latter; but now with the marketing campaign in full force, the former feels more plausible with each passing day.

Box office guesses are another story. Whoever made the choice to delay to this spot and hold that date might deserve a raise or bonus when all is said and done. Projections seem to peg this to open to a comfortably good weekend even if reviews are bad, due to practically no competition (the only contender out now, Doolittle, is certified box office poison by this point). It also has another two weeks to itself before Pixar’s Onward opens. That will probably be all it needs to do enough to break even, if not be profitable enough to greenlight a sequel.

11. netscapenow

netscapenow

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  12. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    Woof, I stand corrected. With a embargo date that close to release, I guess they're not quite as confident as I though.

13. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    They didn't change anything other than the design, right? I think they're trying to keep the goodwill they garnered with it as long as they possibly can, because they clearly know this movie isn't amazing.

14. Yash

Yash

CHOCOLATE! Member
    Eh, that seems pretty standard? I guess it's not something I keep up with regularly, though.

15. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    Yeah, that review embargo timing is pretty standard. It seems more like the movie just premiered early.

16. netscapenow

netscapenow

Ah. I don't follow movies much so I didn't know if that was average or not.

Also, new clip!

17. GoldeMan

GoldeMan

Texas
    I chuckled at that new clip. Honestly the more I see the more I optimistic I get. It isn't high art but it looks like a fun time.

18. Linkabel

Linkabel

I'm going to an advance screening and yeah that's the review embargo date/time.

And about the box predictions from that Deadline article? I think it's hard to predict since a lot of it is based on social media impressions and comparing it to how Detective Pikachu did in that area and that it's also a video game movie.

But there's been a lot of movies with great social media impressions that have not done well. And that's not even getting into the different states both Pokemon and Sonic are in as franchises.

There's just a lot of factors that go into what makes a movie successful in the box office that it's hard to predict the results.

19. Agobue

Agobue

TL;DR Jim Carrey was beaten by his grandson at Sonic and apparently relates to Robotnik's ego.

20. Neowl

Neowl

feels good man Member
    London, England
    SAIL HATAN

New clip featuring a certain namedrop.