don't click here

Sonic Unleashed: Wii/PS2 or Xbox 360/PS3?

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by The Joebro64, Jan 20, 2020.

1. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    I did some looking and it doesn’t seem like we’ve had a topic on this yet (or, if we have, not in a long time). Anyway, I recently got the Xbox 360 version of Unleashed, after only having the Wii version for many years. And I’m really torn between which version I like better.

The Xbox 360 version has incredible graphics (I mean, incredible - it’s been 12 years since it came out and it’s still one of the best-looking seventh gen games, and even rivals eighth gen if you ask me). Production values are off the charts. The daytime stages are a blast to play, especially if you’re trying to improve your rank. But then the nighttime levels are a slog (long and repetitive), the frame rate is unstable as hell, and the controls aren’t that polished (not that they’re bad, they’re just strange; I have no idea why you use the boost button to perform a homing attack). I’m also not too big a fan of the amount of quick-time events there are, and the button inputs feel pretty unresponsive.

The Wii version, on the other hand. I’m don’t like its graphics. They’re not awful, they just don’t look great, and other similar games (like Mario Galaxy and Sonic Colors) look significantly better even though they were in development/came out around the same time. The daytime stages feel empty and overly linear. A lot of stuff feels to simplistic, like the boost mechanic. However, there’s significantly fewer QTEs, the controls feel much more responsive and comfortable, and the nighttime levels only take around five minutes and are much better designed and less repetitive. Also you don’t spend nearly as much time in the hub world (although I personally don’t consider that a problem in the HD version).

I wanted to ask what you guys think is the superior version. I WANT to say the Wii version, but that’s mostly because I have a strong nostalgic connection to it. I genuinely don’t know which version I consider to be superior.

2. MH MD

MH MD

360 version easily and i played ps2 version first, no contest imo, looks better, better level designs, more zones like mazuri and empire city , and even better werehog controls and feel, for some reason ps2 version have MORE mandatory werehog levels, on top of them being long.

Only thing i would give ps2 version is maybe a better final boss, otherwise HD version is better in nearly every way imo, and found it ridiculous how ps2 version scored higher back in the day

3. PARASOL

PARASOL

I thought the general consensus was that the HD versions of Sonic Unleashed was the better game. I tried playing the PS2 version of the game years ago after playing the 360 version, and I have to say, I didn't like it one bit.

There was so much that felt missing. The daytime stages were overly linear and felt uninspired. From what I understand, there are more nighttime stages in the PS2/Wii version of the game which is also something I didn't like. The only thing that really annoyed me with the HD nighttime stages were the occasional framerate hiccups and that battle theme that keeps playing each time you encounter an enemy.

On top of all that, the ratio of daytime to nighttime stages in SU HD was something like, 2:1? Does that sound right?

4. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    I don’t think there’s ever been a concrete consensus. The Wii/PS2 versions received significantly better reviews than the Xbox 360/PS3 versions (for instance, IGN gave the Wii version a 7.2/10 and the 360 one a 4.5. I think the Metacritic score was like 68 for Wii and 59 for 360) and I think it sold better too (don’t quote me on that though).

5. FollOw

FollOw

The sun sets forever over Black Water Park Oldbie
    I'm glad this is a thread. I was considering getting this game. Does the PS3 or the 360 version run better?

6. biggestsonicfan

biggestsonicfan

Model2wannaB Tech Member
    ALWAYS Sonic the Fighters
    I had the Wii version and could not stand it's slowdowns, blocky graphics, and overall bad gameplay on non-DIMPS made levels to be honest. Never beat it, too frustrated to.

7. NyaNyaLily

NyaNyaLily

The 360 version runs better.

The 360 version is capped at 30fps, while the PS3 version is capped at 60fps. Though, due to the game's framerate being quite unstable, framedrops become much more noticeable on the PS3.
    Some areas also perform worse on the PS3 than they did on the 360.

8. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    The HD version by far; while it's true that the night stages in the Wii version are the better, of the two neither of them are anything special and the only reason you'll replay the game is for the day stages anyway. On that basis, along with the fact that I think Jungle Joyride 1-2 is possibly the best 3D Sonic level ever, gonna have to go with 360.

9. Adamis

Adamis

Gimme waffles! Oldbie
    Belgium
    Lammy and "Fafnir"
    I've never had the patience to finish the Wii/PS2 version.

The 360 version, on the other hand, is still one of my favorite Sonic games. I enjoy playing Windmill Isle and Rooftop Run once in a while. I've always loved the daytime levels of this game, they're a blast, and I wish Sonic Team would come back to this genre of levels (longer than Forces, and with actual stuff to do)

10. Captain L

Captain L

The guy who likes Shadow the Hedgehog Member
    Waiting for the coming of the Great White Hankerchief
    Oh, time to argue the alternate side. Wii version is better, by a long shot. The graphics in the HD version are beautiful while the Wii is subpar, but at least the Wii runs it smoothly. The level design is more complex and exciting in the HD version, but that's only for people that want to play the levels over and over to learn it, to a first time player it's just blazing fast and blindsiding all over, so it doesn't leave a good first impression. The hub worlds in HD Unleashed aren't bad, but there's also something to be said about not having to deal with them. The Wii version also doesn't have any stupid requirements for progression, the nighttime levels are shorter individually so the player can leave and come back in the middle of the run instead of having to sit for 30 minutes on one, the Werehog controls are less slippery on the Wii, the platforming is much easier, the battle difficulty is much less annoying, its version of Arid Sands Night is not godawful unlike the HD version, it's shorter without Mazuri and Empire City, Eggmanland is far more forgiving, and the final bosses are infinitely better. EDIT: Oh, and the homing Attack is on the jump button.

Of course, if you want to play a Wii Sonic game, Colors is better in every respect, but Unwiished is the better complete Unleashed experience. Then you can download the Unleashed Project for Generations PC to get the only good part of the HD version, but with better performance and controls.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. Sid Starkiller

Sid Starkiller

Virginia, USA
    Paying off student loans
    I would hope the HD version is better. Unleashed Wii was the first game I literally NEVER touched after completing the story. I actually lost my copy for about 4 months (we moved shortly after it came out, and I couldn't figure out what box it was packed in) and flat-out didn't care.

12. big smile

big smile

Oldbie
    The HD version had much better visuals, with some truly stunning visual moments. But I thought the gameplay was awful with far too many bottomless pits and cheap hits even by Sonic standards. And to this day, I still haven't bee able to beat Eggmanland.

The Wii had less frustrating gameplay. But, the levels were bland, feeling like tech-demos. It didn’t help that the ratio of day to night time stages was way off.

Overall, I think I preferred the Wii/PS2 version. It was the blander of the two, but at least it was less frustrating. Unleased & Sonic 4 actually killed my interest in the series, making me give up Sonic entirely. I don’t think I would have come back if it hadn't been for Generations.

13. BlazeHedgehog

BlazeHedgehog

A "Community Enigma"? Oldbie
    Back in the day, critics said that the SD version for the PS2/Wii was the best version of Sonic Unleashed to play because it minimizes wandering around hubs and collecting medals.

The reduction of medal collection is nice, but I think every other part of the SD version is worse. Towns are a nightmare to navigate, and unlike the HD version of Sonic Unleashed, you're FORCED to visit every space on the map before they'll let you progress. Which is a problem when the simple act of pushing up moves you to an arbitrary menu space to your left.

Daytime levels technically control better in the SD version, sort of, but that just means they're more stiff. The boost system in the SD version is garbage, too; if you don't like Sonic's "WOOO!" voice clips, the boost system in the SD version of Unleashed will be infuriating, as it's segmented in to all these little sub-meters that must be used in full, one after the other. Every time you start a new section of boost, Sonic has to yell about it. Over the course of a single stage, you'll probably hear him yell "HRRAAAAGH!!" dozens and dozens of times.

Werehog stages in the SD version are "shorter", but only by a technicality. Instead of one, long, 15-20 minute stage, Unleashed for the Wii breaks Werehog levels up in to 3-4 smaller, shorter stages... that you must play back-to-back. What's more, each of these so-called smaller stages aren't really that much shorter. They can still take 7-10+ minutes each, meaning you'll be in for 30-60 minutes of Werehog every time it comes up.

And Werehog combat is incredibly mind numbing. It's stiff, and repetitive, and you don't even unlock very many combos, so you mostly spend your time mashing one attack button over, and over, and over, watching the same 2-3 stiff, awkward punch animations play out. You can say, "Oh, it was the Wii, that was the best they could do," but even compared to PS2 games like God of War or Mark of Kri, it's downright robotic feeling.

The SD version of Sonic Unleashed is junk.

14. Gestalt

Gestalt

Sphinx in Chains Member
    I wasn’t exactly thrilled to hear that they had to take a back seat, but Sonic’s friends going on hiatus felt like it was inevitable. At first, I hated it. The werehog, the Pixar-esque characters, Sonic Unleashed borrowed heavily from other franchises and it really bummed me out. But results were good and ever since then I’ve been actively avoiding reading online reviews. If you didn’t like the visuals from previous games, Unleashed was the way to go. The Wii/PS2 version underlines this with new character models.

“Say hello to the new character models.”

15. Frostav

Frostav

Both versions run like traaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaash. Doesn't matter which one you pick. It's more spikes of low fps than constant low fps, but there are parts of the game that literally go to 1fps. Not joking. I didn't forget to add a 0 there. It's that horrible.

16. Dek Rollins

Dek Rollins

size of a tangerine Member
    US
    I was thinking about revisiting Unleashed, since I haven't played it in years. I don't remember which version I played, but I remember getting bored and fed up with it and I quit playing. After looking at this thread, it seems it's just as bad as I remember, regardless of which version it is. :p

17. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    I like to put it this way: while technically the same game, the HD version is like Leicester Square to the SD version's Sahara Desert, they removed that many objects from the levels.

18. Powpuck

Powpuck

Standard definition hasn't been the standard definition in years.

19. Sid Starkiller

Sid Starkiller

Virginia, USA
    Paying off student loans
    Neither had standard transmission. People are gonna keep calling it that, though.

20. Tomadom

Tomadom

Nostalgia tells me SD version is better, but the critic in me says it's the HD version that's better.

I think the one thing I really did like from the Wii/PS2 version were the little unlockable rooms you could go through to get extra stuff at the Gaia temples, where you needed a certain amount of medals. I liked the puzzle aspect of switching back and forth between day and night. Only thing kind of like that in the 360/PS3 version was Eggmanland. The SD version also had this, idk, arcade feel to it?

The HD version had fun hubs, and some of my favorite stages in Unleashed period are in this one, but the werehog stages weren't exactly my favorite here. I already have focusing problems, but 20 minutes beating up enemies was never fun. At least the SD versions were split up so I felt like I was getting somewhere. The day stages were fun but always felt like they were missing a lot.

I enjoyed the day stages in HD more, but enjoyed werehog and side content in SD more.