don't click here

SEGA launches the Sonic 2020 project, promises to release Sonic news on the 20th of every month

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by DreamsComeBlue, Jan 20, 2020.

1. DreamsComeBlue

DreamsComeBlue

Source: https://prtimes.jp/main/html/rd/p/000003108.000005397.html

[​IMG]

Source: https://www.gematsu.com/2020/01/seg...-the-hedgehog-news-on-the-20th-of-every-month

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  2. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    SoNiC aDvEnTuRe Hd ReMaKe

3. DreamsComeBlue

DreamsComeBlue

This, but unironically.
    And with 5x more Big.
    :ruby:

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  4. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Oh great, another piecemeal cryptic campaign that'll result in disappointment

• Agree Agree x 14
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  5. lopinjop

lopinjop

Sonic 25th Anniversary Party Enthusiast Member
    So hyped that SEGA started their announcement campaign with an announcement of announcements. Looking forward to February's announcement that SEGA will have a big announcement to make at the E3, so stay tuned for more announcements! /s

I'm really uninterested in this drip feed approach. Based on their past performance with this kind of thing, I don't expect anything substantial to come from it.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  6. MH MD

MH MD

Year of mouse? more like year of needlemouse :V

now i wonder if this means there will be the annual SXSW event in March or not

7. Wafer

Wafer

Find me on Twitter instead Member
    My only real hope is that they're making this a year of news so that they can release their anniversary game(s) actually on the 30th year, instead of announcing the game(s) on the anniversary and then releasing the next year.

Because, like, waiting for Mania and Forces was tortuous.

8. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    Just announce a damn game already.

9. RikohZX

RikohZX

Just what the heck are they working on that it's taken them since the tail end of 2017 to release one racing game and one olympics game in 2019, and then only just now start announcing announcements for whatever's probably coming 2021? It almost makes it seem like Sega just wanted to wait the rest of this generation out and "start fresh" again.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
  10. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    I can barely contain my anti-excitement. Let's get ready for Year of Sonic 33 and 1/3rd: The Final Insult Frontier.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
  11. Sir_mihael

Sir_mihael

DON'T TRUST THIS MAN Member
    Right. No more fucking around now. Sonic The Hedgehog 4: Episode 3. There are at least six of us who will buy it, I swear (seven if it has lock-on with Eps 1+2) :V

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  12. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

Announcements for announcements on a Japanese-only page for a region that cares less about Sonic then anywhere else in the world.

Riiiiight. :colbert:

13. Wafer

Wafer

Find me on Twitter instead Member
    Ostensibly? Making sure that they don't accidentally release the next '06, or Heroes, or ShadowTH, or Forces, or...

Look, I could go on.

14. RikohZX

RikohZX

Well after I posted I remembered that next year would also be the 30th anniversary, so it's honestly starting to feel like that's the main reason why. And another anniversary to try to not mess up.

15. big smile

big smile

Oldbie
    I’m surprised they are having a big push for 2020. I thought they would want to save for the 30th anniversary in 2021.
    Here’s hoping Evening Star is involved.

16. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    I'm getting too old for this coyness. Put up or shut up. I'll check back in June during the anniversary (and E3, if that's still relevant). Or March, depending on how well the movie does to build on/cover up the results.

17. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

So many shit posts... Never change, Retro :')

Anyway, I honestly really like the gold branding of the the Sonic 2020 stuff. It's very pleasing to look at, and has just replaced some IDW comic covers as my phone wallpaper.

That said though, I don't think they're gearing up for anything too major in 2020, especially when they specifically tell us to look towards 2021 for Sonic's 30th Anniversary. I'm really not expecting any new games for quite some time yet. If the Western Sonic social media gets in on this, then maybe I'll change my mind. If they're going to do a full year of Sonic announcements every month, it would be strange keep it all in one region unless those announcements were small. So if anything big is going to get announced at all, it's still a good few months off yet.

Let's just think about it for a second January is some wallpapers and a minisite. April could be the game announcement, it comes out in November and December ends on what, more wallpapers? Nah, I really don't think we're seeing anything big or exciting here. Certainly no games.

And SEGA, can we stop with the anniversary celebrations already, please? Between Generations being released to celebrate the 20th anniversary and the start of year 29, there's been nothing but failed experiments and more trips down memory lane than I care to remember. Is Sonic's 2020 actually going to be new? This past decade has been the most boring and uninteresting in Sonic's history by a pretty large margin.

18. Vangar

Vangar

[​IMG]

19. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

This was the summary of the Sonic 2016 social media teases and "more clues". It was kinda fun at the time, but the hints were just ridiculous. It was a series of numbers and dates, that started in January and went on for at least half a year. The clues were only leading towards two things; Classic Sonic and a particular date. It was way too much for way too little. Seeing Classic Sonic in the wake of Generations was really no surprise whatsoever, and the date was just the date that the games were getting announced. The campaign should have started much, much later and the date really skittish have been part of it. Teasing announcements of announcements is just... Urgh.

20. TheOcelot

TheOcelot

Scooty Puff Jr sucks! Member
    I can see these monthly announcements being underwhelming. I doubt they'd use them to announce the next 3D Sonic game, which will probably be saved for SXSW or on Sonic's birthday in June.

Not expecting any new Sonic games to be released this year. Perhaps we'll get two main series games in 2021 (one from Sonic Team and one from EveningStar or whoever), so I think SoJ are just trying to hype up 2021 whilst having a quiet 2020 in terms of releases. Sonic 2 SEGA Ages is probably the most exciting release we're getting this year.