don't click here

Fixing Shadow the Hedgehog (the game)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by dredd, Jan 11, 2020.

1. dredd

dredd

Banned
    There should also be something like the Karma Moments in Infamous where you have the choice to do either a good deed or a bad deed. Complete with cutscenes specific to each choice.

2. Just add the blood back in, more guns, harsher swear words, and have Shadow smoke.

GOTY.

:V

3. Sid Starkiller

Sid Starkiller

Virginia, USA
    Paying off student loans
    In regards to the swearing, I don't think the problem is necessarily these characters swearing. I think a bigger part of why it was so jarring was the delivery. These were 4Kids actors, and I felt like none of them had ever cursed in their lives, and didn't know how. There's a reason "Where's that DAMN fourth Chaos Emerald?" became a meme, and it's not because it's a natural-sounding line.

4. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie
    After a long hiatus of not playing the game, i pick it up again several years later. The Ark was the reason I stopped playing the game.....again. I had defected all level missions while fighting motion sickness and had enough.

There was some other level where you had to stop a bunch of bombs or something and I could never do it in time which led me to first put the game down for years.

5. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

IIRC this was called Central City and the issue was that even if you got good at it it would sometimes glitch and you’d not be able to complete it as it would sometimes not count the bombs correctly. Another time the level failed to load fully and I fell off the edge of the road in to the abyss.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
  6. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie
    That’s the one! Btw, I’m surprised no one has tried to call Black Doom a Wisp. :V:

7. qwertysonic

qwertysonic

creating the biggest sonic collection
    Yeah another problem was going through a door and the room not loading properly so you just fell to your death. Not very fun

8. Turbohog

Turbohog

I always felt Shadow should have banged some hookers.

9. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    Yeah. He should've also snorted cocaine, spit real four-letter words left and right, and there should've been levels where you played as him while drunk and everything is craaaaaazy (no, really - as I said earlier, this game's story would've worked significantly better if it was a satire a la Conker's Bad Fur Day).

10. Antheraea

Antheraea

Bug Hunter Member
    Step 0: Don't use the same engine as Sonic Heroes because otherwise Shadow will control like a zamboni on polished ice

11. Gestalt

Gestalt

Sphinx in Chains Member
    Ugh, sayonara, Shadow the Hedgehog...

12. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

The thing is, Shadow is way slipperier (is that a word?) than any character in Heroes. I remember first playing the game and being like “what the hell??”. It was a major disappointment at the time and though I got used to it and reasoned that they did it because “Of course, Shadow has skates!” I could never really get over it.

13. Laughingcow

Laughingcow

Resident Edgelord PHD Member
    Hey now, I won't have the Renderware engine (which was used in such classics as Grand Theft Auto 3 and the Xbox port of Max Payne) be slandered here.

FYI, the reason Sonic and Shadow were so god damn slippery was due to them taking the physics from SA2 and doubling the acceleration (because Sonic Advance 2 set the precedent of "evolve the formula by making Sonic faster"). It wasn't the engine's fault, not in the slightest.

14. PARASOL

PARASOL

I remember really not liking the game once I got around to playing it some months after it came out, and the reason was mostly the fact that the game tries to play itself as if it were a sequel to SA2, but it really wasn't. Just a weird footnote in the series. Like, I remember there was a bunch of callbacks to SA2 through some of the conversations and stages, but it really just felt like it was blueballing me.

I also just remembered an amusing story: I had a strange dream around the time Shadow the Hedgehog was first announced, where I was watching a supposed cutscene from the game where Shadow downs a bottle of whisky and immediately throws up after. Disappointingly, that scene was never featured in the real thing.

15. lopinjop

lopinjop

Sonic 25th Anniversary Party Enthusiast Member
    Shadow has it's flaws, for sure, but as the last game before the largely self-contained universe of Sonic '06 and the reboot that followed with Unleashed and Colors in terms of where these characters are in their world, Shadow the Hedgehog feels like the last game in the franchise to carry any continuity within the Sonic universe. For that, I've got a soft spot for it.

Tighten up the controls (a lot), make it so that you can select any completed stage and branch off from there instead of restarting every time, and you've got a fun, albeit over the top, epilogue to the Adventure series.

16. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    You realise Renderware is a graphics engine, and SystemsReady was talking about the physics, right?

17. Stink Terios

Stink Terios

I dunno, I think Shadow actually controls fine. I got all A-Ranks in both games and while Heroes is a nightmare the entire time, in Shadow I actually could move where I wanted, when I wanted it. The controls wouldn't randomly not work like in Heroes.

18. Laughingcow

Laughingcow

Resident Edgelord PHD Member
    If you're gonna be snarky, you could at least read what was said and I quote:
    Secondly, Renderware isn't just a "graphics engine" which itself is wrong. It's a game engine, a full Software Development Kit, that include character movement i.e. controls and physics programming.

Lastly, even if you were correct in your response, it's still blaming the engine (physics or otherwise) when the issue was the guys programming (or scripting as may be the case) Sonic's acceleration at double the speed of Sonic Adventure 2. On that note, don't blame Havok for Classic Sonic's shitty physics in Generations & Forces. It ain't the physics engine, it's the people programming it.

19. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    Yeah, RenderWare was a full engine, not just graphics. Most of the GTA games of the early 2000s used RenderWare for everything.

20. Antheraea

Antheraea

Bug Hunter Member
    lmao, I don't even know anything about Renderware or whatever, I'm speaking to the fact that Shadow handles similarly, and looks very similarly, to Sonic Heroes.

(not so coincidentally, Sonic Heroes was the game that made me quit 3D Sonic titles...)

Also, wikipedia literally lists the same engine for both games :rolleyes:

[​IMG][​IMG]