don't click here

SRB2Xtreme - Level Mods for SRB2 based on Sonic X-treme (Currently on Jade Gully Demo 1.5)

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by TheArcadeStriker, Dec 31, 2019.

1. Mario Who?
    srb20031.png

SRB2Xtreme is an mod for Sonic Robo Blast 2 Version 2.2 which intends to bring the experience from the ill-fated but still beloved X-treme by some, on an released 3D Sonic game, bringing the maps from the well-known Ofer Alon version of the game (where videos showcased some levels with fisheye) into SRB2, as well as intending to add the addition of new maps based in the theme and partial layout of the original X-treme levels BUT revamped, with the inclusion of more scenery, more slopes, and of course an expanded level design that build over the original X-treme levels and make new ones, that are more fleshed out and expanded.

The original/revamped level plans would be done like the following: As the original X-treme only had one complete Act for each Zone, Act 1 would be the original level, remade from scratch after watching at the footage and level files through an editor, keeping an faithful conversion of what was made. Act 2 would be reserved for these "remixed" levels, which would try to use some of the original layout but at the same time improving over it, adding new sections as well as trying to take any cues from conceptualized ideas for these stages back then.

Currently, there is one completed stage (which is being given some updates to be closer to the original in the current WIP version) and one early work-in-progress stage: Jade Gully Zone Act 1 and Crystal Frost Zone Act 1. The current public version (which is Jade Gully Demo 1.5) only contains Jade Gully Act 1
    maybe, recreated as an SRB2 map complete with textures, as well as some few additions, enemies and rings added, and 5 emblems to search around the stage plus an sixth Ring emblem.

The work-in-progress stage is Crystal Frost Act 1, which as of this writing was started just today but there's already something done for it; and it is in consideration to start working on Jade Gully Act 2 soon, so stay tuned!

A new addition to Jade Gully Demo 1.5 is the implementation of an (work-in-progress) map selection, the Xtreme Compendium
    (yeah that's an reference), which is used as an demostration for showcasing textures for Crystal Frost AND Red Sands (which isn't in development yet). Another new feature, which was mentioned on some posts below, was the addition of an (optional) X-treme camera addon, which can be used to have the static-styled camera that X-treme mostly had; as well as an ReShade preset (and instructions) to have an fisheye lens, giving closure to the Xtreme experience with an playable fisheye!

srb20034.png CrystalWuppy.png

Here I'm going to leave the footage of Jade Gully Act 1 in action, running in an indev version previous to JGDemo 1.5's release

And finally, the link for the release thread, where the download will be avaliable and updated when necessary.
    https://mb.srb2.org/showthread.php?p=813223

I hope that everyone enjoys this, and that I'm able to do everything as planned. Special thanks to Andrew75 for having created Project AXSX, which had given us an good taste of that was this long-lost Sonic adventure, thanks to the amount of effort in simulating the several aspects that the original had. Hope everything goes well for you, bud!

Last edited: Jan 6, 2020
  2. Looks pretty nice so far. Are you planning on doing a total conversion to remake X-Treme in SRB2 or just port/finish the levels?

3. Harmony Sonic

Harmony Sonic

The only disappointing thing about this is the lack of certain features like the fish eye lens.

Oh well.

4. Rudie Radio Waves

Rudie Radio Waves

Italy
    Many a game.
    I don't think that could be added in without a total engine rewrite... but I could be wrong.

Also, hell yeah. Mad props to you, @TheArcadeStriker

5. Harmony Sonic

Harmony Sonic

I’m aware of that.

6. Outside of an engine modification, you can actually get something close using ReShade to add an fisheye effect.

And on that topic, I was considering if to keep the original SRB2 camera style for all stages and design the new Act 2 levels to play more as an SRB2 level, or if to force an "Xtreme camera" (different camera settings triggered on level load and still camera, which complemented by using analog controls and fisheye if needed, is close to what the original tried) in these and design the Act 2 levels to be compatible with this camera (as if they were new, completed levels for Xtreme). Here's a poll that I made to see about that:
    https://www.strawpoll.me/19165507

There are two screenshots attached for reference: One with the normal camera, and one with the X-treme camera (including the default fisheye option in ReShade)
    srb20036.png srb2win 2020-01-02 13-04-31.png

And to add a piece of current progress (outside of the X-treme HUD which is already added since the screenshots were taken), there's also attached an screenshot of WIP Crystal Frost 1:
    srb2win 2020-01-02 18-02-15.png

7. Rudie Radio Waves

Rudie Radio Waves

Italy
    Many a game.
    I like how the HUD is also fisheye'd! It makes the interface look really unique.
    Great job, in any case!

8. Harmony Sonic

Harmony Sonic

I’d suggest possibly releasing two versions of the mod but since you apparently haven’t built the act 2 levels yet and they’ll be built around the camera type used it sounds like it would be more trouble than it’s worth.

Anyway, I do like that fisheye lens even though it’s not quite what was going to be in xtreme.

9. Something I just thought up was how I could make the SRB2-style stages become "extra levels" like the extra levels on SRB2, and design Act 2 levels to work with the X-treme style camera. And on that topic, I realized that I could as well use an alternate config bundled with the game so that users can choose to use the Xtreme camera by loading the batch file (that would load the alt cfg with the cam settings), or just simply load the addon through SRB2 normally.

10. Harmony Sonic

Harmony Sonic

Interesting.

11. Spinksy

Spinksy

UK
    This looks great!!