don't click here

Sonic Incursion (RELEASED)

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by Ell678, Apr 20, 2014.

1. RetroRespecter

RetroRespecter

This has potential.

2. Ell678

Ell678

Am I Annoying You? Member
    Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
    Here is roughly 40 minutes of Sonic Incursion footage. There is a reason I'm showing off such a large chunk of the game, and I will talk about it in the next devblog.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2019
  3. Ell678

Ell678

Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
    I'll be releasing Sonic Incursion in it's current state at the end of the year.

This year, Incursion progress has been pretty slow. This can be attributed to various real life events I've gone through, some good, some bad, some outright devastating. That being said, I still managed to pick away at the game every now and then and it has steadily improved, and can be played through to the end. But there are still things I would love to do - I wanted to include a revamped Forgotten Ruin Zone as a reward for getting all the red rings, with a secret ending that tied it to the intro of Unleashed. I wanted a proper main menu. I wanted to do a couple more cutscenes. But this will take more time, and unfortunately, I am about to have very little time on my hands.

In the new year, I will become a father, and my life will change dramatically. I'm not going to fool myself into thinking I can still take every weekend I have working on Incursion. If I don't release the game, and continue working on it, it could be yet another year at best before you can play it. I don't want that. I want you guys to be able to enjoy this, even if it is a little rough around the edges, and missing some of the extras I wanted to have. That is why I have been working on making the levels themselves better and more refined.

This way, you guys can play the game, and, if I have any time, I can work on extra stuff. I can also see your comments and feedback for any potential, far flung re-release. I know this isn't ideal, but real life has caught up, and real life comes first. Always.

But you're all getting this for free, right ;)

Recent stuff -

-Implemented yellow coloured springs, keeping red coloured ones for springs that launch you further.
    -Pegasus Paradise 2 has a much better, flowing level layout, with more opportunities to change paths. Fixed a tonne of bad spline paths in this stage.

4. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Totally understandable and can't wait to play the newest version of this. Congrats on the child btw!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  5. Ell678

Ell678

Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
    Apologies for the delay. I have been away from the computer the last couple of days, and I need to check everything is ok in the "packaged" version of the game before I release it. Soon!

6. Ell678

Ell678

Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2020
  7. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Congrats! I look forward to downloading/playing this in the near future (next time I get the opportunity to use my desktop for gaming)

8. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    I've been following this one for a while now. I'll check it out asap :)

9. Ell678

Ell678

Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
    Last night I streamed a playthrough of the game as Metal Sonic. I'll be playing through as Sonic in the next few minutes, via my Youtube channel.

10. Sally Rose

Sally Rose

Noticed a few bugs. In the auto scroll level the last two jumps are super hard to make as well as the death plane doesnt reset foreceing you to restart the level via menu every time you die. And second. In the final battle against red metal sonic as super sonic. If you die you get stuck in an infinite death loop or the controller becomes unresponsive again for forceing restart via menu.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  11. Ell678

Ell678

Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
    I've seen similar complaints about RRZ3 S. I've made the gaps smaller on those last two jumps. The death triggers not resetting has also been fixed, I have no idea what happened there (as well as the music not restarting after death).

I'll look at Sonic's final boss, as well as a couple of issues I found. I still have time at the moment to fix these, so reports like this are incredibly helpful.

I'm not sure how to do a patch, so it would have to be a whole new build ,which means I want to make it worthwhile redownloading a 3gb game.

EDIT - Ok, Sonic's final boss has a fail safe to totally reload the level which wasn't working when killed in certain ways. Now fixed.

EDIT 2 - Metal Sonic's pre-final-boss-stage has an additional block to jump onto where the shooting Metallix is, making this significantly easier.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2020
  12. Sally Rose

Sally Rose

just finished the metal sonic playthrough so here are some bugs i found

in the metal madness zone (metal sonics final stage) the sonic 2 game gear boss fight does not get there hit counter reset allowing you to chease the boss fight if you die. second, in the death egg zone (the un named zone right after that, ) you can not reselcet the death egg zone forceing you to replay the last zone to gain access. Third, metal sonics final boss also suffers from his hp bar not being reset after dying meaning it is possible to cheese him. you also need to make the final boss fight selectable from the level select otherwize your booted bact to metalic madnes zone after a game over..

aside from these ishues i truly loved the game, best sonic game in a long time and shows us what sonic could be if sega cared.

btw you said that you couldt ad in a cutscene between sonics last zone boss and the super sonic fight, i didnt see much an issue, all you really need to do is a quick in game animation of him ging super and flying off into the fleet where a red silloute is looming, simple. thats all you needed in the sega genisis days. you dont need a big cut scene to describe that.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2020
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  13. Ell678

Ell678

Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
    Ok, fixed the MMZ2 boss fight problem, and I already sorted the final boss bug. However...the level select problem doesn't really have a proper fix without causing another. Let me explain further (hopefully someone with UDK knowledge may have an idea I hadn't thought of!)

Sonic GDK has a simple system for level progression. It currently looks like this within the ini files -

List of map names that create a sequence of unlockable levels:
    +MapsSequence="Prologue"
    +MapsSequence="SSZ1"
    +MapsSequence="SSZ2"
    +MapsSequence="IIZ1"
    +MapsSequence="IIZ2"
    +MapsSequence="RRZ1"
    +MapsSequence="RRZ2"
    +MapsSequence="CCZ1"
    +MapsSequence="CCZ2"
    +MapsSequence="PPZ1"
    +MapsSequence="PPZ2"
    +MapsSequence="HHZ1"
    +MapsSequence="HHZ2"
    +MapsSequence="DDZ1"
    +MapsSequence="DDZ2"
    +MapsSequence="AAZ1"
    +MapsSequence="AAZ2"
    +MapsSequence="TTZ1"
    +MapsSequence="TTZ2"
    +MapsSequence="MMZ1"
    +MapsSequence="MMZ2"

This info is taken from a "pool" of maps that I could set up to appear in the level select, which looks like so -

List of stored data related to maps:
    +MapsData=(LoadingMovie=,PackageName="AAZ1",PreviewImage="SonicGDKPackUserInterface.PicAAZ",ReadableName="Asphalt Airway Zone Act 1",TinyName="AAZ1",UnlockEmeralds=0,UnlockRedRings=0)
    +MapsData=(LoadingMovie=,PackageName="AAZ2",PreviewImage="SonicGDKPackUserInterface.PicAAZ",ReadableName="Asphalt Airway Zone Act 2",TinyName="AAZ2",UnlockEmeralds=0,UnlockRedRings=0)
    +MapsData=(LoadingMovie=,PackageName="AAZ3S",PreviewImage="SonicGDKPackUserInterface.PicAAZ",ReadableName="Asphalt Airway Zone Act 3S",TinyName="AAZ3S",UnlockEmeralds=0,UnlockRedRings=0)
    +MapsData=(LoadingMovie=,PackageName="AAZ3M",PreviewImage="SonicGDKPackUserInterface.PicAAZ",ReadableName="Asphalt Airway Zone Act 3M",TinyName="AAZ3M",UnlockEmeralds=0,UnlockRedRings=0)
    +MapsData=(LoadingMovie=,PackageName="CCZ1",PreviewImage="SonicGDKPackUserInterface.PicCCZ",ReadableName="Crag Cavern Zone Act 1",TinyName="CCZ1",UnlockEmeralds=0,UnlockRedRings=0)
    +MapsData=(LoadingMovie=,PackageName="CCZ2",PreviewImage="SonicGDKPackUserInterface.PicCCZ",ReadableName="Crag Cavern Zone Act 2",TinyName="CCZ2",UnlockEmeralds=0,UnlockRedRings=0)
    +MapsData=(LoadingMovie=,PackageName="CCZ3",PreviewImage="SonicGDKPackUserInterface.PicCCZ",ReadableName="Crag Cavern Zone Act 3S",TinyName="CCZ3S",UnlockEmeralds=0,UnlockRedRings=0)
    +MapsData=(LoadingMovie=,PackageName="DDZ1",PreviewImage="SonicGDKPackUserInterface.PicDDZ",ReadableName="Desolation Depot Zone Act 1",TinyName="DDZ1",UnlockEmeralds=0,UnlockRedRings=0)
    +MapsData=(LoadingMovie=,PackageName="DDZ2",PreviewImage="SonicGDKPackUserInterface.PicDDZ",ReadableName="Desolation Depot Zone Act 2",TinyName="DDZ2",UnlockEmeralds=0,UnlockRedRings=0)
    +MapsData=(LoadingMovie=,PackageName="HHZ1",PreviewImage="SonicGDKPackUserInterface.PicHHZ",ReadableName="Hex Heights Zone Act 1",TinyName="HHZ1",UnlockEmeralds=0,UnlockRedRings=0)
    +MapsData=(LoadingMovie=,PackageName="HHZ2",PreviewImage="SonicGDKPackUserInterface.PicHHZ",ReadableName="Hex Heights Zone Act 2",TinyName="HHZ2",UnlockEmeralds=0,UnlockRedRings=0)
    +MapsData=(LoadingMovie=,PackageName="HHZ3",PreviewImage="SonicGDKPackUserInterface.PicHHZ",ReadableName="Hex Heights Zone Act 3",TinyName="HHZ3",UnlockEmeralds=0,UnlockRedRings=0)
    +MapsData=(LoadingMovie=,PackageName="IIZ1",PreviewImage="SonicGDKPackUserInterface.PicIIZ",ReadableName="Icicle Incline Zone Act 1",TinyName="IIZ1",UnlockEmeralds=0,UnlockRedRings=0)
    +MapsData=(LoadingMovie=,PackageName="IIZ2",PreviewImage="SonicGDKPackUserInterface.PicIIZ",ReadableName="Icicle Incline Zone Act 2",TinyName="IIZ2",UnlockEmeralds=0,UnlockRedRings=0)
    +MapsData=(LoadingMovie=,PackageName="IIZ3S",PreviewImage="SonicGDKPackUserInterface.PicIIZ",ReadableName="Icicle Incline Zone Act 3S",TinyName="IIZ3S",UnlockEmeralds=0,UnlockRedRings=0)
    +MapsData=(LoadingMovie=,PackageName="IIZ3M",PreviewImage="SonicGDKPackUserInterface.PicIIZ",ReadableName="Icicle Incline Zone Act 3M",TinyName="IIZ3M",UnlockEmeralds=0,UnlockRedRings=0)
    +MapsData=(LoadingMovie=,PackageName="PPZ1",PreviewImage="SonicGDKPackUserInterface.PicPPZ",ReadableName="Pegasus Paradise Zone Act 1",TinyName="PPZ1",UnlockEmeralds=0,UnlockRedRings=0)
    +MapsData=(LoadingMovie=,PackageName="PPZ2",PreviewImage="SonicGDKPackUserInterface.PicPPZ",ReadableName="Pegasus Paradise Zone Act 2",TinyName="PPZ2",UnlockEmeralds=0,UnlockRedRings=0)
    +MapsData=(LoadingMovie=,PackageName="PPZ3M",PreviewImage="SonicGDKPackUserInterface.PicPPZ",ReadableName="Pegasus Paradise Zone Act 3M",TinyName="PPZ3M",UnlockEmeralds=0,UnlockRedRings=0)
    +MapsData=(LoadingMovie=,PackageName="PPZ3S",PreviewImage="SonicGDKPackUserInterface.PicPPZ",ReadableName="Pegasus Paradise Zone Act 3S",TinyName="PPZ3S",UnlockEmeralds=0,UnlockRedRings=0)
    +MapsData=(LoadingMovie=,PackageName="RRZ1",PreviewImage="SonicGDKPackUserInterface.PicRRZ",ReadableName="Ruined Relic Zone Act 1",TinyName="RRZ1",UnlockEmeralds=0,UnlockRedRings=0)
    +MapsData=(LoadingMovie=,PackageName="RRZ2",PreviewImage="SonicGDKPackUserInterface.PicRRZ",ReadableName="Ruined Relic Zone Act 2",TinyName="RRZ2",UnlockEmeralds=0,UnlockRedRings=0)
    +MapsData=(LoadingMovie=,PackageName="RRZ3",PreviewImage="SonicGDKPackUserInterface.PicRRZ",ReadableName="Ruined Relic Zone Act 3",TinyName="RRZ3",UnlockEmeralds=0,UnlockRedRings=0)
    +MapsData=(LoadingMovie=,PackageName="SSZ1",PreviewImage="SonicGDKPackUserInterface.PicSSZ",ReadableName="Sunkissed Shore Act 1",TinyName="SSZ1",UnlockEmeralds=0,UnlockRedRings=0)
    +MapsData=(LoadingMovie=,PackageName="SSZ2",PreviewImage="SonicGDKPackUserInterface.PicSSZ",ReadableName="Sunkissed Shore Act 2",TinyName="SSZ2",UnlockEmeralds=0,UnlockRedRings=0)
    +MapsData=(LoadingMovie=,PackageName="SSZ3",PreviewImage="SonicGDKPackUserInterface.PicSSZ",ReadableName="Sunkissed Shore Act 3",TinyName="SSZ3",UnlockEmeralds=0,UnlockRedRings=0)
    +MapsData=(LoadingMovie=,PackageName="TTZ1",PreviewImage="SonicGDKPackUserInterface.PicTTZ",ReadableName="Terror Terminal Zone Act 1",TinyName="TTZ1",UnlockEmeralds=0,UnlockRedRings=0)
    +MapsData=(LoadingMovie=,PackageName="TTZ2",PreviewImage="SonicGDKPackUserInterface.PicTTZ",ReadableName="Terror Terminal Zone Act 2",TinyName="TTZ2",UnlockEmeralds=0,UnlockRedRings=0)
    +MapsData=(LoadingMovie=,PackageName="MMZ1",PreviewImage="SonicGDKPackUserInterface.PicMMZ",ReadableName="Metallix Mainframe Zone Act 1",TinyName="MMZ1",UnlockEmeralds=0,UnlockRedRings=0)
    +MapsData=(LoadingMovie=,PackageName="MMZ2",PreviewImage="SonicGDKPackUserInterface.PicMMZ",ReadableName="Metallix Mainframe Zone Act 2",TinyName="MMZ2",UnlockEmeralds=0,UnlockRedRings=0)
    +MapsData=(LoadingMovie=,PackageName="Prologue",PreviewImage="SonicGDKPackUserInterface.PicPro",ReadableName="Prologue",TinyName="Prologue",UnlockEmeralds=0,UnlockRedRings=0)

Note that in the pool I have included the Act 3's for each character (some are missing, as I decided to split up the Act 3's after I made this file). However, adding these to the actual level progression causes problems. Here is what I could do -

List of map names that create a sequence of unlockable levels:
    +MapsSequence="Prologue"
    +MapsSequence="SSZ1"
    +MapsSequence="SSZ2"
    +MapsSequence="SSZ3"
    +MapsSequence="IIZ1"
    +MapsSequence="IIZ2"
    +MapsSequence="IIZ3S"
    +MapsSequence="IIZ3M"
    +MapsSequence="RRZ1"
    +MapsSequence="RRZ2"
    +MapsSequence="RRZ3S"
    +MapsSequence="RRZ3M"
    +MapsSequence="CCZ1"
    +MapsSequence="CCZ2"
    +MapsSequence="CCZ3"
    +MapsSequence="PPZ1"
    +MapsSequence="PPZ2"
    +MapsSequence="PPZ3S"
    +MapsSequence="PPZ3M"
    +MapsSequence="HHZ1"
    +MapsSequence="HHZ2"
    +MapsSequence="HHZ3S"
    +MapsSequence="HHZ3M"
    +MapsSequence="DDZ1"
    +MapsSequence="DDZ2"
    +MapsSequence="AAZ1"
    +MapsSequence="AAZ2"
    +MapsSequence="AAZ3S"
    +MapsSequence="AAZ3M"
    +MapsSequence="TTZ1"
    +MapsSequence="TTZ2"
    +MapsSequence="SFF"
    +MapsSequence="MMZ1"
    +MapsSequence="MMZ2"
    +MapsSequence="MFF1"
    +MapsSequence="MFF2"

You stated that when you get to the final boss as Metal Sonic, you have to play through MMZ again. If I included the final bosses, it would be worse - you would need to play through TTZ (Sonic's final level) and Sonic's final boss before any MMZ stage appear if you hadn't already played that far as Sonic. If I included all the Act 3's, the first one that is seperate for each character is Icicle Incline Zone. So...you would have to go all the way back to that point as Sonic, just to clear his Act 3's and let the progression system know you completed that level. The only reason you are be able carry on playing until the end of the game is because I use console command Kismet actions in each level to load the next level / cinematic. Modifying the save file in such a way that the game thinks you've passed the Act 3 you didn't actually play is well outside the capabilities of Kismet.

Now, I could re-implement this system and allow you to select all the Act 3's. But as you rightly say, it's frustrating to go back to the level select and have to play through a stage you've already completed just to fight a boss you just fought. But imagine finding that you may have to play through the whole game again. I could have the final bosses appear in the level select, but you would still need to play though any prior levels...

I imagined that having a custom menu would have eliminated this problem, as I may have been able to have circumvent this problem entirely, maybe having a save file for Metal and one for Sonic. However, seeing as I got absolutely no interest every time I asked for the help, removing the Act 3's from the progression system is unfortunately the best it will get.

Now if someone does have a solution to this, I'm all ears.

Edit - Regarding the cutscene...remember that the Emperor has the cyan emerald at that point. I was going to explain a lot during this cutscene. Using Gerald Robotnik's stolen research, the Metallix were able to understand Chaos Emeralds far better than anyone and use them (which is why the Metallix have weapons capable of hurting Super Sonic). The cannon is fully charged (much sooner than possible due to having a Chaos Emerald) when it would have been forcibly removed, causing massive damage to the station and allowing Sonic to turn super...cue the final fights - Sonic chases the Emperor while Metal finishes the job on the station.

Someone suggested the Metallix Sentinel that Sonic fights in TTZ2 should drop the Emerald, but it still didn't explain why the Emperor was running away.

In addition...even small cutscenes take time. And I wanted to do this one right...

Last edited: Jan 5, 2020
  14. Sally Rose

Sally Rose

You could just use a quick work around, keep the levels as is, but on hidden levels have a cheat sode you can enter to regain access. like up up down down left right left right a b start kinda set up. go old school. and ties those codes to console commands curently in use. you can desplay them in the very arcitecture of the stage. alternitavly you can make metal sonic unlock only after beating sonics story, and have console commands at the end of every level to direct sonic to sonic stages and metal sonic to metal sonic stages. that way you can still have all levels visable from level select. besides it makes sence game play wise. sorta like kingdom hearts re com. you need to beat soras game to play as riku. also wheres the bug fixed ver? i still have the first release

Or even just have two separate level lists. one for sonic, one for metal sonic.

I hope these suguestions and comments are at least somewhat helpfull. im honestly trying to be of any help i can, with pointing out ideas that are a bit un conventional but might be good work arounds.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2020
  15. Ell678

Ell678

Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
    I won't release the bug fixed version just yet - I can't release a patch, it would have to be a full new build which is a large download for some people. I'll wait and see if any more bug reports come in, if they don't, I'll upload a new build.

16. Sally Rose

Sally Rose

Ok, but over all was i helpful? Did i give you any useful ideas/ comments on how to solve the level select issue with a simpler fix? Id love to know how my comments were revived, so i can know if i am actually being helpful. Oh and not shure if its a bug, but in castlevainia zone, as metal sonic, its possible to exit stage off screen which causes the game to crash to the title screen as your meant to wait for the metalix to attack you sending you downward. instead of gaining access to sonics stage 3. might want to add in a feature only sonic can over come to go right. so that metal sonic can not go right. like a spindash wall right next to a tiny space, metal sonic can not spin dash.

17. Ell678

Ell678

Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
    Your thoughts and your feedback are definitely appreciated, it's just that implementing a lot of it is difficult and requires knowledge of Flash / Scaleform / Action Script, which is what all of UDK's UI is based on. Without that knowledge, I am completely stuck, which is why I've always been asking for help regarding menus etc. Your bug reports are incredibly helpful, I'm fixing things as soon as you mention them.

Hmmm. If a character somehow gets access to an Act 3 they shouldn't be in, it boots back to the main menu (as I intended). I'll have to look at how that happened in that stage, an invisible wall blocks Metal Sonic's path and opens only for Sonic, I'll have to investigate that.

18. Sally Rose

Sally Rose

there was no wall for me, the act ended and i not knowing any better just waltzed my happy arse to the right and got booted to the title screeen. hence my suguestion of imposing a physcal leval obstacal that would prove problematic for metal sonic to pass, but easy for sonic to pass to procede right. forceing metal to wait for the attack. also in the metal sonic race in starlight zone maby add in some on screen text that says ready set go or other visual clues to let the player know its a race, took me forever to figure out that to beat him i have to race him. i thought it was a fight and kept dying lol. oh and one last thing

in the loader short cut or whenever you try to load the game. the game will begin to look in this directiory

Sonic Incursion\Binaries\Win64\UDK.exe" -seekfreeloading

but there is no such directiory. there is how ever a
    Sonic Incursion\Binaries\Win32\UDK.exe" -seekfreeloading

directory. i solved the isshue by coppying the 32 directory and re nameing it to 64 to get the game to boot.
    might want to include both directories in future releases to ensure everyone can play with out haveing to sus that out for them selves.

19. Ell678

Ell678

Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
    Compiling the game in 64 bit mode is impossible with the free-license UDK, only the 32 bit mode. I can only suspect that that is a remnant of something left from an experiment ages ago. Nobody else has reported that, (either that or you are the only person who downloaded it :P ) I guess most people have just then booted it up directly from the Win32\UDK.exe after installation. Good find!

Edit - Now fixed the RRZ2 ending bug as Metal Sonic. This only seemed to happen if you died during the level. Also fixed the fireball timings being off following a death.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2020
  20. The main issue here is that the level select system wasn't designed to have characters with different game progression.
    You gotta tell the game somehow that you want to play with a determined character before opening the level select menu; so you're right, you need a proper new Scaleform/Flash menu (and additional code).
    That, or make two games, one for Sonic and another for Metal... yeah, not optimal.