don't click here

Project AXSX (2013 and Beyond)

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by Andrew75, Apr 25, 2013.

Are you interested in playing project AXSX?

1. YES, count me in, I would love to play this game.

261 vote(s)
    84.2%
  2. I may play the game, (not sure how I feel about it yet.)

43 vote(s)
    13.9%
  3. Nope! Game looks like shit. I love only modern HD games.

7 vote(s)
    2.3%
  1. Glaber

Glaber

Has Beaten Sonic Genesis for GBA Oldbie
    Funny you say that Dark Sonic, as right now thete is an srb2 mod project based on x-treme being made now with the first level already released.

2. It has been a great ride to see all the stuff made on it; and it will always be something to remember the new X-treme that could be (I loved the Red Sands preview, and at least we got the Crystal Frost demo from SAGE; it would be interesting to try the last builds though UE4 would nuke my PC).

And yes, as Glaber pointed out, I had started doing 3 days ago an mod for SRB2 called SRB2Xtreme that, for now just contains an faithful recreation of Jade Gully Act 1; but I intend to expand it with more X-treme levels, as well as Act 2 stages being mostly based/inspired on the originals but with some more.
    Still, it is a pity to see that AXSX is no more, specially with how close it was to the real deal; but I hope that everything that is going on turns out fine and that you can take a good rest from all the stress.

3. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Project AXSX(Sonic Xtreme) + Misc Projects
    SRB2Xtreme looks pretty Xtreme to me!

4. Really appreciating that from your part, I'll try to keep up with progress as much as I can (I still need to see where I could put progress/development/devlog stuff).

Last edited: Dec 31, 2019
  5. Xinus

Xinus

hearing this made me skip a heartbeat. this was probably one of the most anticipated fangames for me in a long time. but i guess things like this just happen sometimes. 14 years is a long time to work on a single project afterall.

will you be considering releasing the source code in it's current state to the public? i feel like a lot of people here would be very happy to see something like this. but also maybe it will give an incentive for somebody to pick up your project and continue the work on it? seeing projects of this scale just going to complete waste is never a good thing.

6. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    The main meat source code is not mine to share sorry, As for the assets , I’ll have to think about it because Im still very upset about the whole situation. I don’t think it’s fair to me because that potential Person who takes over could have just helped the project in the first place, since I have been openly and desperately begging for help the past several years. Also perhaps someday I may just change my mind and return to the project with someone’s help. Than that is a possibility, but for now it’s canceled. I want to hold on to things for a bit longer anyways.

7. Harmony Sonic

Harmony Sonic

You know the thing that really makes your announcement an ass thing to say (you said it not me) is the fact that we never got anything better than that winter demo to play with. Let’s face it, compared to everything else we’ve been shown that demo isn’t very good.

8. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Sorry about that...… XD ( Oh yeah, Happy new year!!! 2020 here we come!!)

9. RDNexus

RDNexus

Maybe precisely because of everything @Andrew75 went through? He tried his best, in his own way.
    Because he didn't try his hand at learning programming, he had to believe in other people's good will.
    And what did he get at the end? Half-assed results, not good enough to be compiled into new demos.
    It's tough for someone to decide to take a break from a long-running project or just abandon it at all.
    Please, don't trample over it. Maybe someday he'll return to the project and then achieve good results.

And @Andrew75, no need to apologize. You tried when many probably gave up due to the hardships.
    Take a nice break, think things through, get your life in place, and then decide what to do with all this.

10. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    I'd like to add, Xak as the main programmer also put a lot of heart into the project especially during the udk build which he worked pretty much fulltime along with his SonicGDK. And during the unreal 4 build when he was available.
    But at the rate we were going in unreal 4, even if we kept going, Realistically I don’t think we would have had a demo anytime soon. Im sure it would have been solid as hell too.
    I had Supplemental programmers come in , some from outside the community, some from within that were the real problem. Not everyone was a problem, some people did do some productive stuff and inched the project forward.

Anyways I didn’t quit because of Xak not being present , he has a super full time job that didn’t allow for any free time whatsoever. And I understand his situation.
    Just wanted to let ppl know that Xak did a really great job.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2020
  11. Harmony Sonic

Harmony Sonic

I was just saying it would’ve been nice to have something. It did seem like there were some levels that were finished to some extent though I could be wrong since I’m going purely off of what he showed us. He probably could’ve let us play around with them if he was willing to. But that’s likely just my desire to play them talking.

There’s a chance I don’t know what I’m talking about.

12. From how Andrew75 is taking it sounds like the engine as it stands is not nearly ready to be shown in its current state. Even if it's playable, who knows how much of it is even polished enough to be shown off.

13. Harmony Sonic

Harmony Sonic

There’s a bunch of videos on his YouTube channel showing gameplay including full levels. They’ve been made private now but they exist. Don’t really see why it was necessary to make them private.

14. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Yeah there are a shit ton of levels that were fully playable in The udk version and since we moved to unreal 4 a lot of stuff ended up very broken due to the transition mid code rewright. There is no way to roll the code back to the best playable state since the udk svn server we had is long gone now. Otherwise I would have loved to share some udk builds.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2020
  15. Harmony Sonic

Harmony Sonic

Interesting.

By the way, I was wondering if you could possibly tell me how the fisheye lens, world rotation, and gravity stuff was done.

I don’t know much about programming but I’m interested in learning and that stuff would be useful if I decided to try to recreate an Xtreme level.

If someone else handled that stuff then it’s fine.

16. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Mmmmm, sorry too much info to go over.
    Just plan it out and go for it to make it your own if do try your hand at it.

17. Harmony Sonic

Harmony Sonic

Can you at least tell me how to do the fisheye?

18. Spinksy

Spinksy

UK
    This is an utter shame, I still remember when you released the gameplay demo for sage 2012 (I think)

I'm sure I saw a clip of you playing Jade Gully with fisheye on the Unreal build though?

19. Harmony Sonic

Harmony Sonic

Honestly I’m like Xinus in that I would like to have all the stuff they used for this project.

It wouldn’t really be so I can continue development but because looking over everything and seeing how things were done could help me learn something. Besides it would be nice to have another thing related to Sonic Xtreme even if it’s a fangame and not officially linked to it.

20. Andrew75 isn't entitled to give out anything that was done for this if he doesn't want to. Yes, I'd love to see some of what was completed too, but asking repeatedly won't get you it faster.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2020