don't click here

Fake Mega Drive 2?

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by Winins, Dec 19, 2019.

1. Winins

Winins

Amplitude Enthusiast Member
  2. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    Maybe it's a South American variation, I heard they're still making them here.
    It does look super bootlegy tho.

3. Winins

Winins

A few images... [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

4. cornholio857

cornholio857

The Great Cornholio Member
    Jacksonville, FL
    In search of TP
    I've seen this variant before and I am 99% certain that it is a GOAC. It also doesn't have the expansion port on the side. And if this is the one I have seen, there are three boards in it. AV/Power Board in back, GOAC board with cart slot in the middle on the console and a board up front for the controller ports/LED/Power and Rest buttons. These are all connected via ribbon cables and rather cheaply.

5. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Sure is.

6. Winins

Winins

Last edited: Dec 20, 2019
  7. BlueSpeedsterYT

BlueSpeedsterYT

Now rendered in full 3D Member
  8. Winins

Winins

9. f2bnp

f2bnp

Probably another Famiclone. In fact, the Famiclone I used to have as a kid was a very good replica of a JAP MD2, complete with authentic looking packaging and it even had a removal cover for the Sega/Mega CD port, which was of course vacant! I still have that unit, always fun to look at it, but I can imagine some kids' dreams ruined by this shit.

10. BlueSpeedsterYT

BlueSpeedsterYT

Now rendered in full 3D Member
    Oh, so a fake then. My Bad

11. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak

2 Edgy 4 U Tech Member
    O'Fallon Mo
    Sonic 1 Game Gear Disassembly
    I had one of these that I bought off of Wish, it's a cheap clone that seems to resemble the At Games models. The sound emulation was bad, and it only came with 4 games, despite the box stating that it comes with tons of games. I threw it out months ago though, but I still have the box. It also came with a Famicom multi-cart which I still have. xD

12. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    Without a 'Tectoy' logo, nope. We got a new Mega Drive in 2017 but that is an exact replica (visually speaking) of the first south american release, which is the Genesis 1 with the Mega Drive branding. It also got an SD card slot, lol.

13. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    Just remember years ago when a whole load of Mega Drive 2s were found in a warehouse in Thailand and were getting sold on, they were the real thing.

If you are lucky enough you may come across them on eBay from time to time...and hope that you've bought one and not a knockoff.

14. Pirate Dragon

Pirate Dragon

Boxed clones are pretty easy to tell. Usually you can just tell by the box (as in this case). When the box is a very good clone then you can tell by the accessories (PSU, Pads, manual). It can get tough when it's just a loose unit. I've never seen proper Genesis or PAL (non-Asian) clones, just Japanese/Asian. The case can be almost indistinguishable from the real thing, the serial number sticker usually gives it away, but not always, as some also clone them brilliantly. It then comes down to the rubber pads ... they're never the same. I could get a job on "Antiques Roadshow" ... in a few hundred years time.

This is what trawling tens of thousands of pictures for MD variants for the wiki has taught me.