don't click here

Help Replacing Sonic 3 DAC samples with custom sounds?

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by failsandwich, Dec 23, 2019.

Tags:
  1. failsandwich

failsandwich

Hell
    Replacing the "SEEEEGAAAA" sound is pretty simple, but what about replacing the DAC samples? I can't find any tutorials explaining how, only a document explaining how they work and which one is which.

2. BlueSpeedsterYT

BlueSpeedsterYT

Now rendered in full 3D Member
    I guess you should've said that over at the Basic Questions and Answers thread instead of here.
    Really tho, replacing the S3 DAC samples with custom ones is gonna be difficult since I don't think that anyone did it before. Otherwise if they do know, then they might close this thread, or it can be keeped up for the new generation. Still, better ask somewhere else.

3. rata

rata

Argentina
    Trying to be useful somehow.
    Aren't the DAC samples already separated into several BIN files? Don't you just have to get the 4 bit raw PCMs there and replace them? Speaking from ignorance here, I am just asking.

4. Devon

Devon

I'm a loser, baby, so why don't you kill me? Tech Member
    your mom
    Yeah, the samples are their own files, just in 4-bit/DPCM format instead of the regular 8-bit PCM format like the SEGA chant. Drum samples also cannot be too large or it could cross a 0x8000 byte size bank boundary (the driver doesn't do automatic bankswitching for streaming sample data, only when it starts playing a new sample).

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  5. failsandwich

failsandwich

Hell
    Sorry for taking such a long time to reply. I've got the sound I want to replace one of the samples with, but I'm unsure how to convert it to the proper format. Is it possible with just Audacity, or do I need to use another program?