don't click here

Will the Sonic 1 proto ever be found or is it lost forever?

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by GrounderSez, Dec 21, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GrounderSez

GrounderSez

UK
    interested in sonic and experimenting with disassemblies
    I always feel like it might be found some day

2. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    We know one exists, but from what I've gathered it's a complicated situation. My understanding is that the guy who could get it to us has issues with his dad, and the cartridge is in his dad's storage.

3. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

If you were to do a bit of digging around you’ll find some info on this.

Firstly, it depends on what prototype you’re referring to. The original 1990 Tokyo Toy Show concept demo appears to have been completely lost and may never be recovered. In an interview many years ago Yuji Naka states that he wanted to include this as a game in Sonic Mega Collection but was never able to locate the prototype. If he hasn’t been able to locate it through official means then it likely really is gone - possibly thrown away.

For later stage prototypes at least one is known to still exist and it’s location IS known. A staff member of the U.K. SEGA Magazine has said there’s just some problems getting to it:

“We did a preview of Sonic 1 in Mean Machines, which actually wasn’t presented to us as little chips; it was a really heavy cart that was obviously flash ROMs in a cart,” he stated. “I know where that cartridge is – it’s got content that wasn’t in the final game – but the guy who’s got it has got some sort of issue with his dad where he can’t get access to his storage.”

I’m sure I also read elsewhere some time ago that someone else from the community has attempted to gain access to it however it’s basically not a question of if but when due to the aforementioned issue.

EDIT: Further info can be found in this thread.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2019
  4. Fadaway

Fadaway

As for the Tokyo Toy Show Demo, I’m optimistic something will one day turn up. Hopeful. Although it may be a very long time till that happens if it ever does.

5. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

Didn't a video of the Tokyo Toy Show demo pop up a few years ago?

6. Chandler

Chandler

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa Member
    Poland
    What video? I only know videos that try to "remake" the TTS demo, with good or bad result (or maybe I was that much disconnected with Sonic community during few years and didn't "knew" about the video, who knows ¯\_(ツ)_/¯).

7. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

Here it is:

It might be a hoax though.

8. Chandler

Chandler

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa Member
    Poland
    We really don't know what path Sonic was taking, or if there was music for it. Putting a hoax onto old TV (that isn't Trinitron, as it wasn't popular in early 90's) or applying a TV effect (curved like it is on a typical CRT TV) would make newbies believe that this is real (doesn't mean that oldbies and other users can't be fooled as well).

9. Zaracoatl

Zaracoatl

I have seen that video before. If I am remembering correctly, I think that is a hack someone made of the Tokyo demo that even fooled Yuji Naka himself into believing it was his prototype.

10. kazblox

kazblox

Diassemblies and decompilations.
    It's a hoax.

As for Sonic 1 prototypes, we got enough hopes and wishes threads already. It will be a long way, but begging and pleading ad infinitum won't help us much more.

11. Blugenesi(Jarty)

Blugenesi(Jarty)

Wannabe Youtuber Member
    The thing about it is, we don’t know. We aren’t entitled to anything, and there’s tons of people who would totally be interested in getting to a prototype. I mean last month we got tons of stuff I never thought we would get, like even more Sonic 2 prototypes, the Sonic CD Prototype early as we’ll ever find, and even the one known Sonic 3 Prototype ever shown off. I think it was a year ago when we got the SegaSonic Bro’s. Rom, something we thought we would never get released to the public. I know it’s not Sonic related, but we did get space worlds Gold and Silver prototype, and who ever thought we’d see that? Sonic 1 is something we all want to see. In a perfect world, I’d rather see something later then TTS 1990, because I feel like we could learn more from a CES 1990 or 1991 build then we could from the other, kinda like how relatively little we learned new in the December 92 build of Sonic CD. NOT THAT IM NOT HAPPY ITS HERE. I’m just saying if we only ever see one prototype, I’d like it to have tons of content for us to go through, like the later builds with “RING” show in screenshots. We also have to be relieved that we know at least one is out there, we just can’t see it just yet. That’s a big deal because that means it’s possible that any day it could just randomly show up online as a rom. But there could be more out there. If we got the Sonic 3 build I NEVER thought we’d see simply because they guarded it so much more after the Sonic 2 fiasco. It’s kinda amazing that we haven’t even gotten much new footage or anything of beta Sonic 1. I mean, it was when Sega was most desperate to show themselves over sega, you would think it would be more available then it already is but I digress. Long post I know but i’m pretty passionate about the subject

12. GoldeMan

GoldeMan

Texas
    Completely agree, besides what we've already seen of the TTS demo I'm not sure what else there really could be to learn from it. I think something later would definitely be a cool find as it would shed a more in-progress light. There is a sweet spot for prototypes. While earlier stuff is still interesting and worth preserving, that sort of middle era (Simon Wai, Sonic 3) that I feel is the best as getting an overall general view of development, especially with something as coveted as Sonic 1.

13. This is probably my number one dream in the Sonic community that this gets found one day. That and some new levels a la Hidden Palace.

I remember a few years back there being allot of hoaxes, that video above included.

I kinda miss the hoax days as it would always spark excitement and we would end up with new info on the real deal.

If we get the proto then all the major Sonic milestones will be unearthed. Which I guess will be a little sad, as it's always nice to have a sense of wonderment. It has been slowly eroded over the years with each new discovery.

14. GrounderSez

GrounderSez

UK
    interested in sonic and experimenting with disassemblies

It's a hoax!

15. Shoemanbundy

Shoemanbundy

Researcher
    Chicago, Illinois
    selling shoes
    I never will understand why people refer to protos for some games with "the," as if there's a single proto out there of the game. And then you have all the details of the one known one getting discussed so some rogue person that doesn't know any better screws things up by harassing the owner. We really could do without these topics, IMO.

16. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak

2 Edgy 4 U Tech Member
    O'Fallon Mo
    Sonic 1 Game Gear Disassembly
    This topic is pretty much the same as the previous topic posted a few days ago, the Sonic 1 Beta Footage topic, and that got locked. Like others have said, one of the prototypes is still in existence, but right now none of us have the means to do anything about it without causing issues. So to answer the question the title asks, yes one of the prototypes have been found, technically, we just don't have it. :V

17. I guess this was aimed at me, I just said the proto because I wasn't really thinking about it that much when I posted. I'm sure you know I meant the Tokyo Toy Show demo.

I think it's good to bring it up every now and again. You've got to remember that allot of new members joining the forum have never discussed this before, so don't ruin their fun. We where all new to this at some point.

18. Shoemanbundy

Shoemanbundy

Researcher
    Chicago, Illinois
    selling shoes
    Oh no, actually I was referring to the title of this thread. Just a pet peeve, since games go through tons of builds daily throughout development, but noobies usually just refer to things as "the" beta as if there's one specific special copy of the game that exists out there that contains all differences in one package.

I know it might seem nitpicking and maybe ruining fun for new comers that don't know any better, but I just hope not to be proven right someday if someone starts poking their nose too far and ruining things for the rest of us. It happens :/

19. Fair enough, I hear you. I do recall that happening before, but I can't remember which one it was due to it being so long ago.

I'd love for it to appear at some point but as video and more screens, that way we get to keep a mystery :)

R2 is my biggest dream though, if that even exists past the crude concept art

20. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Yeah we're done here.

aguycalledadz - please stop with the mindless topics, this is the second one you've done now.

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.