don't click here

New Sonic Holiday animation

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Dark Sonic, Dec 11, 2019.

1. Sid Starkiller

Sid Starkiller

Virginia, USA
    Paying off student loans
    To be fair, in spite of my earlier protests, I do think they would be better served improving Sonic's gameplay than putting Chao back in the main games. I'd be perfectly fine with it as a side project of some kind.

2. Frostav

Frostav

I'm pretty sure this is the first time any Sonic media has ever shown Chao other than the three neutral breeds! This really makes me think something Adventure-related is happening soon because the various non-neutral breeds really only have ever appeared in Adventure and Sonic media usually ignores that they exist entirely...

3. Mecha Sally

Mecha Sally

Oldbie
    OMG that was soooooo cute! ^.^ I had forgotten how much I loved Chao. It kinda makes me wanna boot up SA2 and check out my garden. I never did get around to evolving my one Chao into the Angel variant...

4. Turbohog

Turbohog

Nice and cute animation. I always though Adventure 2 did Chao best. Adding chao keys to the levels made it easy for me to go to the Chao garden between levels - and I actually enjoyed it. I never went to the Chao Gardens in Adventure 1 at all.

Just you. Star Wars didn't invent floating spirits.

5. That was the best cartoon yet! But I already love Chao, so I didn't need a cute short to remind me of how adorable they are. I fully believe we'll be getting an Adventure remake as the next project with how much attention its gotten since the release of TSR. I certainly wouldn't mind just getting a standalone Chao garden though, even if it were just on Android.

6. Ritz

Ritz

Subhedgehog Member
    It should be said, I'm certain Sega's well aware of how beloved the Chao Gardens were, and that the reason they haven't been revisited since Naka left the company is out of some Japonesque notion of respect, seeing as the A-LIFE system was his #1 baby and he's thrown tantrums about sharing his IP several times before. The Nightopian Garden in NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams was probably just a special exception (How was that garden, anyway? Nobody talks about it).

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  7. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    Yeah, as awesome as Naka was, at Sega he was known for being extremely protective of his work and causing many headaches. Ever heard about how the Sonic 2 development was marred by conflicts between the Americans and Japanese? Craig Stitt says Naka was pretty much the sole cause of that discord because he hated working with Americans. Naka's also basically the reason Sonic X-treme was canceled because he wouldn't let the Americans use the Nights into Dreams engine. It sort of makes sense Sega's not touching Chao Garden nowadays...

8. Turbohog

Turbohog

If Naka is to blame for Sonic X-Treme being cancelled than I like him even more. That game looked awful imo.

9. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.

10. I saw the animation earlier today and I loved it! I don't know if this is leading up to a new game or if it's just a one-off, but either way more of these animated bits is always good!

11. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

It's a one-off. Don't be tempted to think any more about it. It's a one-off and it's fun. Full stop.

12. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I think it's kind of interesting though that they changed the design of the neutral chao garden to match the series current aesthetic though, kinda like what they did with the pyramid levels in TSR. Seems weird they'd use a different design just for a one off (not just the Christmas stuff but there are more patterns and such on the walls that weren't there before)

13. Nova

Nova

Likely just to match the aesthetic.

It shouldn't surprise me that Sonic fans are so desparate for any hint of a new game they'll take a 3 minute cute animation as a sign that a related game is coming, but somehow it still does.

14. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    According to Geoff, Sega pulled whatever Sonic thing was supposed to be at the Game Awards. And thus, the prospect of Chao's return goes back into hibernation.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  15. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    While it's a shame, it's probably for the best that Sonic was not associated with that dumpster fire of an awards show.

What the fuck even was that.

16. doc eggfan

doc eggfan

Are you pondering what I'm pondering? Wiki Sysop
    ACT
    GreatMegaLD, GreatSC3k, Great SG1k
    I thought this was going to be an update to that series with the sonic underground characters and sonic's mum in her knitted sweater and the chaotix gang and all the other characters. I probably should remember better details than that and the name of the guy who was doing them, but I think you all know what I mean.

Even though I enjoyed this, I'm a little disappointed.

17. Billy

Billy

RIP Oderus Urungus Member
    Colorado, USA
    Indie games
    I think this image I stole from Reddit sums up my thoughts:
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 8
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • List
  18. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    That'd be "Christmas With Sonic", and yeah Baleena Productions has been quiet about that this year... I'm assuming it's not happening, which is a shame.

19. SuperSonicRider

SuperSonicRider

Nah, there's one more coming: https://twitter.com/BalenaTweet/status/1196065453657001984