don't click here

Sonic the Hedgehog (2020) movie

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Dark Sonic, Dec 7, 2013.

1. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    Huh. Run them into the ground to save your disaster Paramount. For shame.

2. Nova

Nova

What's really disgusting is that even after working on The Lion King which grossed over $1 billion, the studio apparently wasn't able to keep the doors open until the end of the very same year.

Right around Christmas too. :(

3. Flare

Flare

I don't think we know enough details to blame the Sonic redesign. Could be many factors into why their Vancouver studio shut. Sure it's horrible that the artists likely had to bend over backwards to redesign Sonic, but to imply they were run into the ground because of Paramount's change is just speculation.

We may even know what Paramount spent on the redesign but I think its a bigger issue of the industry than it is Paramount not paying them enough. Likely none of the block bluster films that used the studio payed enough. So we may as well throw Disney and the Pokemon Company into that shame pile.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  4. From what I heard it seems taxes put them under.

5. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Yea why not? Les'do it!

6. netscapenow

netscapenow

7. Boxer Hockey

Boxer Hockey

This studio branch closing had literally nothing to do with Sonic. These kind of comments are completely worthless and ignorant to the larger issues at hand affecting the vfx industry.

8. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    So share some? Cause that's what it looks like on the surface and I don't care enough about Paramount's reputation to go looking for details to refute the apparent truth that they at least tipped them over the edge.

Even if "Paramount did it" is reductive, they at best perpetuated poor practices in the industry that are more directly to blame for the closure of the studio. So...Paramount did it. And lots of other studios did it too?

9. Boxer Hockey

Boxer Hockey

The problem with “apparent truths” when you’re not looking at anything else is that there’s nothing truthful about it. You’re looking at a tree in a forest fire and wondering why it spontaneously combusted.
    Vancouver has seen an unprecedented number of “relocations” over the past few years across gaming, animation and vfx for multiple reasons. Rising cost of living due to foreign investors fucking with tax shelter real estate scams among others. The media hub that formed there under the promise of tax credits has slowly lost the incentives that brought all these companies there in the first place. Coupled with the rising talent pools in India, the phillipines and other overseas countires, outsourcing to these poorer countries has become too attractive to everyone’s bottom lines to ignore. Even feature animation, which was the last standing bastion of getting anything done natively has seen Dreamworks and Pixar establishing large studios overseas for bulk outsourcing.
    MPC Vancouver has been rumored to be facing closure long before anything Sonic related entered the picture.
    That’s factor one.
    The other point completely being missed is that neither Paramount nor Disney nor any other major studio owns MPC. When a studio needs a VFX partner they agree on the terms together. The notion that the film studio is doing any battering is completely missing the point. The problem is that the FX studio will ask for too little money in order to get the contract and the film studio will agree to the price because literally nobody is going to offer to pay MORE than they’re quoted. Then the artists get caught in the middle.
    Paramount can’t force a studio to do anything they don’t agree to, neither can Disney. If the FX studio agrees to the terms, what else can be done but to believe they have the resources to follow through.
    When you hop into a discussion blaming the obvious target you do a disservice to the actual people caught in the middle and let the real factors remain buried.
    It doesn’t matter that you don’t care about Disney or Paramount. We should care enough about the people to do the research.

• Like Like x 10
    • Informative Informative x 7
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Well yea, that's why they call them apparent truths, not actual truths.

Well thanks for the info then. I've got even more people to blame and an overwhelming sense of not being able to do anything about it. Big Money Fucks Little People: Chapter I-Lost-Count. I hate this show!

Frankly it was easier when I could say "fuck Paramount" and stay blissfully unaware of how monumentally fucked yet another industry I enjoy consuming products from is :colbert:

11. Boxer Hockey

Boxer Hockey

I didn’t mean to come down on you or anything. You’re far from the only person making the same assumptions. It’s especially heartbreaking for me in this situation because so many great people that I know are caught in the middle and none of the actual issues are coming to light.

12. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Yea I figured that's why you got a bit animated by it. It's all good fella.

13. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    You can still say fuck Paramount, the movie still doesn't look that good.

14. Gestalt

Gestalt

Sphinx in Chains Member
    You know what they say: Bad press is better than no press. They could have at least warned us: “Hey folks! Just so you know, we're redesigning Sonic, but the studio behind it is going to be shut down soon. This has nothing to do with us!” Lol.

I know, this isn't the right time for jokes.

15. astroblema

astroblema

my name means "star wound" Member
    Chile
    It's a secret!
  16. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    1.) Wow, OK. Here I thought Sonic Underground and the Archie comics were going be the only harbingers of baby Sonic.

2.) Doesn't sound like Junichi Kanemaru is doing the Japanese dub. Honestly something I didn't even consider.

17. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2019
  18. astroblema

astroblema

my name means "star wound" Member
    Chile
    It's a secret!
    So basically Sonic has always been fast. No Sonic the comic plot I guess.

Also, why are they using Sonic Mania music for the movie? (or at least the trailer)

19. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
  20. Antheraea

Antheraea

Bug Hunter Member
    how do I add an "extremely, intensely negative" reaction to a post

god I hate Baby Sonic in any form