don't click here

New Sonic Holiday animation

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Dark Sonic, Dec 11, 2019.

1. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

Ouch that ending...

2. Rudie Radio Waves

Rudie Radio Waves

Italy
    Many a game.
    I loved this short.
    Re: Mobile Chao Garden: eh. I didn't really spend that much time raising Chao, so I have no real attachment to the concept. I wouldn't be opposed to having a Chaomagotchi on my phone though.

Also, I think we're in for an Adventure renaissance. Oh God.

3. Ayu Tsukimiya

Ayu Tsukimiya

UGUU~ Member
    Is it just me, or was the animation really good?
    I didn't think I'd ever see something starring Chao feature such an impressive-looking space battle. Or such an expressive and fluid Sonic, for that matter.

EDIT: Oh, Hesse himself animated it. I should have figured :V

Last edited: Dec 12, 2019
  4. Wafer

Wafer

Find me on Twitter instead Member
    That was cute, buuuut I still prefer the Amy/Metal special.

It was cool seeing Adventure Sonic animated after all this time.

5. Seeing Sonic protecting Chao was the cuttest thing ever.

Also, they remembered Tikal... that made my day.

6. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    I was expecting a good animation, but I wasn't expecting something THIS good.
    As a die hard Adventure fan, all the nods and references made me so happy...we even got a Tikal cameo, god dammit. This isn't some kind of cynical nostalgia bait, there's real love for Adventure here.
    With this , the remixes, TSR and Forces (as underwhelming as it was), it seems they're really trying to bring that Adventure feeling back. I know I'm reaching, but I genuinely wouldn't be surprised if we end up getting an Adventure remaster or Adventure 3 later down the road.
    In any case, definitely my favorite animation by Hesse by far. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to rewatch it a few dozen times.

edit:I wrote the word "Adventure" 5 times in this post. That's how Adventure this short is.

7. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    This... Iizuka saying he wants to remake Sonic Adventure... new game in development probably for the 30th anniversary in 2021... Tee Lopes remixing Station Square earlier this year...

Sonic Team, you better be remaking Adventure, or I'm going to be disappointed.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. Sable

Sable

If a good remake of Adventure 1/2 and possibly Heroes were to drop, that would be an instant buy from me and I'm sure many, many others. There was such a drive, passion, and creative direction behind that era of Sonic in general - and even if the quality of the games was rather hit or miss, they were always trying something unique and forward-thinking conceptually.

9. Pengi

Pengi

That was fun!

I really appreciate how they had actual Chao variety - the fly types, swim types and so on, the Chao with the animal parts, the special colour Chao. Post-SA2 we've usually only seen the ordinary Neutral/Hero/Dark Chao, which largely misses the fun of the concept.

The credits revealed what I think is a new tidbit about Sonic Adventure's development - the Chao in Space poster was designed by Sonic Adventure "Field Artist" Yoshitaka Miura (also the creator of Tails Doll).

10. Fred

Fred

Taking a break Oldbie
    Portugal
    Sonic 3 Unlocked
    You're going to be disappointed either way.

11. Miles3298

Miles3298

I'll toss my thoughts of the video into a spoiler tag.

Overall, that was cute. It's a fantastic treat seeing the SA2 Chao Garden in animated form like this. I feel a bit bad that I only really enjoyed the garden bits and not so much the space dream (which was half the point), but with that said it was very nice to see Tikal.

Also, as a somewhat squeamish person, I absolutely passionately hated that final bit at the ending immediately before the credits. The postcard at the very end might imply that it's not nearly as violent as was first implied (or was even worse than I imagined? now that I think about it), but either way I can't unpicture that horror show. The bit with Eggman immediately before that, though? That was golden and I loved it. You can see for a very brief moment that he had his Robotnik 'Stache tied behind him and hidden in the Santa Hat.

Edit: I forgot to mention this, but I very much appreciate it all the same: As mentioned a couple of posts up by Pengi, the variety in Chao and their body types and animal parts was superb.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2019
  12. SpaceyBat

SpaceyBat

United States
    Freedom Planet 2
    I'm glad that these animated shorts are becoming a yearly staple! They're always a joy to watch and you can tell that Hesse and co. love animating them.

Was it just me or was the fact that Tikal was a floating spirit and not a hint ball like in SA1 a nod to Star Wars VI?

13. Endgame

Endgame

Formerly The Growler Member
    Beautifully animated there. Like other people have said, Sonic protecting the Chao is just so heart-warming to watch.

I don't know if it's the look of the Death Egg and the rest of the background, but something about this reminds me of Angry Birds In Space; could that've been intentional (considering the title is "Chao in Space")?

14. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Delightful little cartoon, and amusing that the lad lads at Sega have finally made Chao in Space, several years on...

I'm fully supportive of bringing Chao Gardens back as a mobile phone game. It'd do very well and it'd make a lot of people happy. But leave it there, they have no place coming back to the main games. =P

15. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    OMG Eggman's mustache topknot.

And the Chao with the mustache.

And the penguin eyebrows.

This is precious.

Attached Files:

16. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    Very charming little short, haha. Loved all the little references, but even without those it was a lovely slice of cutesy holiday fun from a little Chao with a big imagination. = )

Honestly, if they eventually produce enough of these shorts to fill one I'd totally buy a Blu-ray collecting them all together, including Sonic Mania Adventures, Team Sonic Overdrive and anything else that comes up in future. Maybe throw in a behind-the-scenes feature on how the shorts are produced, interviewing Tyson Hesse and the Neko Productions crew, as an exclusive extra for good measure.

17. Sid Starkiller

Sid Starkiller

Virginia, USA
    Paying off student loans
    So precious!

Tyson, if you're reading this: MERCH! I DEMAND SEGA MAKE MERCH OF THE CHAO SPACE FIGHTERS! THEY CAN HAVE ALL THE MONEY!

18. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  19. Ritz

Ritz

Subhedgehog Member
    Love it. Consistently taken aback at my ability to feel nostalgia for the Adventure games lately.

20. qwertysonic

qwertysonic

creating the biggest sonic collection
    Them's fighting words :eng101: