don't click here

New Sonic Holiday animation

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Dark Sonic, Dec 11, 2019.

1. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    [​IMG]
    This was teased by the Sonic twitter. looks like we're getting a new Holiday cartoon tomorrow!

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  2. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    Tin foiled, I think it looks like SA2 Chao Garden. Wonder if they'll sell Chao plushies for this :V.

Definitely Chao-related.

This is probably at least one of the Sonic things at the Game Awards tomorrow.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2019
  3. Antheraea

Antheraea

Bug Hunter Member
    just announce a chao game already you monsters

• Agree Agree x 12
    • Like Like x 3
    • List
  4. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    Sega won't do that. They know it's what the fans want.

5. Just make a series already, goddamn it.

6. Mecha Sally

Mecha Sally

Oldbie
    And if they DO make one, it'll be a mobile app that looks cute on the surface, but then you get into it and it's riddled with micro-transactions. :V

7. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    Sadly, you're probably right. The Chao Gardens already had so many hidden timers for things like feeding, growing food, waiting on evolution and breeding, etc. Lends itself perfectly as is to all of those things. Sigh.

8. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    It wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing; the SA2 chao garden was so grindy it already felt like a F2P game anyway.
    A mobile game with similar mechanics could be really fun, as long as it's not too predatory.

9. big smile

big smile

Oldbie
    With Lost World and Forces, Sonic Team have shown that they still can't do 3D Sonic properly, so the last thing I want is them releasing is a Chao game, especially as Chao weren't that great to begin with.

Griding away to raise the stats of some creature isn't what I signed up for when playing a high-speed platformer and if I was into that, there's loads of other pet raising games which are better anyway.

This just feels like one of those blind nostalgic things which people will be hyped for until they play it and realize that it wasn't that good in the first place.

Also, Sonic Team has been doing the blind nostalgia thing too much now (The Sonic R logo in Team Racing, Green Hill and Chemical Plant in everything....). Bringing back Chao just feels like when they threw together some old badniks and chequered hills and called it Sonic 4. They made such good progress with Colors, Generations and Mania, but seem to have taken the wrong lesson from those.

10. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    ...or maybe we just liked raising Chao? People can like old things without being blinded by nostalgia, you know?
    Feels a bit hypocritical to throw that word around on a forum about Classic Sonic, but whatever.

11. Sid Starkiller

Sid Starkiller

Virginia, USA
    Paying off student loans
    This is exactly why people got so pissed off at Despatche in the Forces and Shadow topics. People have different tastes. You're more than welcome not to like Chao; don't you ever say someone is wrong to like something they enjoy just because you don't.

12. Gestalt

Gestalt

Sphinx in Chains Member
    As long as it's not Dr. Eggman's Pokémon Simulator: Chao Edition, I'm not interested in an app. But yeah, Chao. I loved them back in the day and I loved them again during my latest playthrough of SA1. It doesn't have to be the full-blown experience. Maybe it's just a mini game with them in it?

13. Ayu Tsukimiya

Ayu Tsukimiya

UGUU~ Member
    I really wouldn't want a mobile version of a chao garden. You still walked around in a 3D area as Sonic with the same physics as the regular stages, and getting rid of that would ruin it for me.
    Remember how much the GBA garden sucked?

14. Nova

Nova

How times change - I remember a few years ago, Retro was very largely anti-Chao Garden. Seems the tide may have turned there.

I don't know, I loved raising Chao as a kid but I play it now and it just seems a little janky and weird. I wouldn't be totally against it though, but let's keep things in perspective and remember it's just going to be a charming little Christmas animation.

15. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I'm not a huge Chao fan but the fact they haven't made a mobile Chao garden yet is mind boggling.

EDIT:
    [​IMG]

And would you look at that, Chao merch. Going to take a wild "guess" and say this animation is chao related. The Chao peddling dick tease continues I see :V

Last edited: Dec 12, 2019
  16. MH MD

MH MD

17. big smile

big smile

Oldbie
    I do apologize. I was trying to convey why I personally didn’t like Chao, but I can see that I phrased it very sloppily and it did seem like I was saying people can't like Chao, which wasn't my intention.

Really my issue was less with fans and more so Sonic Team.

Obviously, people can like Chao, but I wish Sonic Team would focus more on fixing 3D Sonic rather than doing these side games. Once they've got 3D Sonic sorted out, I've got no problem with Chao.

But at the moment to me, it feels like Sonic Team's take away from Colors/Generations/Mania is that they can just dump in anything from the past and voila, they'll have an excellent game, but as Lost World and Forces shows, it takes more than just dumping in past things to make a good game.

Part of the reason why Colors & Generations worked so well is that they stuck to a few core ideas and weren't distracted by unnecessary things. So news of a possible new Chao element seems a step away from that approach. (EDIT: Although it looks like this is just an animated project anyway, so this point doesn't apply).

18. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Cute video, it's fun seeing something chao in space related, also rare appearance from Tikal so that's yet another Adventure throwback.

19. MH MD

MH MD

After all those years, finally, they made "Chao in Space" a real thing, the absolute mad men! They should make the sequel too.

Also regarding the Chao garden thing, i personally didn't like them, but i am surprised that they didn't return , even as a mobile game, it is a perfect mobile game and a way to make money for sega! it's like they hate money or something, and the concept of a portable chao garden isn't even new, there was a version of it in sonic advance.

So, if it returned, i would be actually happy for the fans, even if i personally wouldn't play it

20. I would want it. It seems great on paper.