don't click here

The Supreme Topic of 'Other' Knowledge.

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by McGuirk, Jan 10, 2007.

1. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    Well, I was thinking and there were some things that I thought seemed to suggest this. I've always thought Mephiles looked a lot like Metal Sonic (just look at their faces), and then I remembered two more things. Firstly, Metal Sonic was supposed to be in the game at one point; leftover data shows he had his own episode, so he may have played an important role. Secondly, this is a little bit weak, but Mephiles' arc heavily involved time travel, something we could associate with Metal Sonic given his role in Sonic CD.

Maybe I am talking nonsense, but I did want to point this out. It could have been very, very early in development, before Sonic Team came up with Solaris and further developed Soleanna's lore.

2. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    Eh, it's a fun theory but it's pretty baseless. Plus it'd Heroes 2.0 which...admittedly sounds more fun than what we actually got.

3. So hey, not sure why this was posted in this topic as it isn't really "other knowledge" at all? I've posted it as a new topic here

4. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Idk, it was just a remix I didn't think it was worthy of it's own topic.

Maybe a Tee Lopes general topic would make sense though.

5. MrMechanic

MrMechanic

I'd love to know the context of this...

https://twitter.com/AndreYin/status/1202751311286034432

Edit: Right found the source: It's from an old TV show from Brasil.

Unfortunately the video is region locked, it works if you set a VPN to Brasil and watch that way.

The costume appears a few times, there's also a fake Sonic game made for the show which is how contestants select a round, at least I think it's fake made for tv thing.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2019
  6. big smile

big smile

Oldbie
    Sonic Adventure DX had Metal Sonic as a bonus unlockable character. I'd imagine that Sonic 2006, would be like that. I doubt he had any story role, because he's not referenced on in the main story. I mean, yeah he could have had an independent side story, but it seems more likely they were just giving a fun unlockable for the anniversary.

7. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Let's not clutter up a topic about actual information with baseless theories, please.

8. I think that makes the most sense, yeah. I'm just seeing this weird trend of every little thing getting posted in this topic instead of just minor tidbits of "other" knowledge and it's been bugging me for awhile now. Apologies if I came across as trying to call you out specifically, though! Your post was just the most recent one.

9. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Nah it's all good, I've contributed to the problem lol. Like I see a tidbit of Sonic info and I'm like "why is this topic worthy?" and I dump it here because idk what else to do with it.

We've had enough Tee Lopes remixes at this point though, plus he's like defacto Sonic music ambassador these days (much how Tyson Hesse is like Sonic design ambassador), he deserves his own general topic.

10. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Just noticed that SEGA phased out Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed from the (annual?) Sonic Humble Bundle... while not including Team Sonic Racing in the higher tier, which is kind of a strange move.

11. Linkabel

Linkabel

Anyone have more info on this?

I was tempted to make a thread for it but wanted to verify it was real. Can't even find the original 2chan thread. Do they even have an archive?

If it's real then it's definitely cool that there might've been a Japanese cartoon that predated the ones in America.

Interesting that there's a pic of Morimoto's Sonic too. Maybe it was based on the world from the manga?

Edit: So Oshima does talk about an animation project and that's where some stuff of the manga characters come out like Paulie and the Veruca family. So maybe this is legit? Perhaps the manga was started to gather interest in an anime?

Last edited: Dec 8, 2019
  12. Antheraea

Antheraea

Bug Hunter Member
    We know that Angel Island is also the name of an island in San Francisco Bay, right? It's not in the wiki and I literally just found out about it. Given the rest of the San Fran/California influences on the games, I'm hard pressed to believe this is a mere coincidence.

13. Pengi

Pengi

A model of Knuckles sculpted by Shinichi Higashi while he was at Sega:

https://www.instagram.com/p/B4Pq2KYHpwr/

https://www.instagram.com/p/B4RdXryHdV6/

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  14. Neo Geo MVS

Neo Geo MVS

Giga Power Pro-Gear Spec Oldbie
    You're right, the zone was named after that island. There is a brief mention of this in the Sonic 3 Development article.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  15. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    For when it's not a post-election Friday evening:

https://retrocdn.net/index.php?title=File:SegaMagazin_DE_Sonderheft_1994-02.pdf&page=98

Here's the Sonic 3 level select code being published in the German Sega-backed magazine... Sega Magazin. This is dated February 1994 - the month the game launched. It's probably safe to say Sega gave them the code, given that it's not the sort of thing you find accidentally.

I can't tell if this is good marketing. The Sonic 3 level select clearly highlights levels that were removed, but presumably the existence of such a code was considered a selling point. There's a possibility here that they were using the text "FLYING BATTERY" to entice potential customers. A zone that hasn't been talked about or previewed - does it work? Better buy the game and find out!

I had always assumed this code was revealed later in the year so as to help keep the game in the charts and promote Sonic & Knuckles. Guess not.

16. Xilla

Xilla

I remember the Game Genie code being printed in a magazine not long after the release. Then the next issue having the big reveal that you could do it without the Genie.

Was either Official Sega Magazine UK or Mean Machines Sega IIRC.

EDIT: I also believe the magazine incorrectly stated the 3 inaccessible zones were 2P stages, and later answered a readers letter that the HPZ icon was from a stage that would be seen in S&K.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
  17. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

I think you may be giving this more thought than Sega. I wouldn't be surprised if the marketing team didn't even realize that the S3 level select listed S&K levels.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  18. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  19. Antheraea

Antheraea

Bug Hunter Member
    is this not the American cover art? if so, that means localization work + marketing must've started really early...

20. kazblox

kazblox

Diassemblies and decompilations.
    It is the American cover art. Observed this a long time ago, by the way. Wonder when this artwork was exactly dated. At most, December 1990.
    Green Hill must have had been somewhat heavily finished by then, as you can see from the spike logs being included. Now I'm wondering if he still has the reference shots/film used to make it in his property.

Also.... is that Yuji Naka on the right? Chances are that I'm going crazy.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2019