don't click here

Shenmue 3

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by Saidian, Jun 16, 2015.

1. Xilla

Xilla

I fail to understand....I begin to see! Member
    The Virtua Fighter parody runs on Astro City cabs too, saw a few Space Harrier posters about and a Hang On machine is a rare capsule prize.

Shame there's no actual Sega arcade games in it to play but there's always Yakuza for that.

2. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    Shenmue III

Anywho, there was a Limited Run Games Limited Edition of this too, right?

Did anyone here get that version?

3. Despatche

Despatche

It's alarming to see people miss the point of this game with their "this is 2019, act like a 2019 game please" talk. Literally the entire point of this game was to directly resemble the previous games in the series, which Shenmue III does very well, and which it has no real context outside of. Even worse, there is no real definition of "a 2020 game" or what it means to be "outdated", and many of the definitions proposed... do not look good. Still amazes me only a tiny minority actually got onto UnderTale for being an old Game Maker title stuck in 30 FPS mode. It's almost the same situation, only difference being UnderTale wasn't specifically modeled after an existing game... which means it has even less of a historical context for itself than Shenmue III...

4. yeah man that undertale game sure is niche with its 3 million+ copies sold

5. Despatche

Despatche

...What does that have to do with anything? I was just comparing how both games are considered to be gamechangers (even the people who dislike Shenmue III or UnderTale recognize that they're important), and are both conceptually "outdated" on purpose (the first two Shenmue games are even considered by some to be outdated for their time) to a degree that supposedly hurts both games.

The niche comparison isn't even true. Shenmue isn't really niche, as the first game sold over a million ("despite" being a DC title) and as the Shenmue III Kickstarter was massive (one of the biggest success stories ever). UnderTale was also very much niche before some strange event that happened around the end of 2015, catapulting it into memedom. I still don't know what happened, but I do know that not many cared about the game before then.

6. Aesculapius Piranha

Aesculapius Piranha

つづく Oldbie
    Unknown
    Diva
    After one inexplicably failed delivery attempt, my copy finally arrived.
    Wow. They sure went the extra mile with this Kickstarter cover. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
  7. biggestsonicfan

biggestsonicfan

Model2wannaB Tech Member
    ALWAYS Sonic the Fighters
  8. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Obviously bought to resell - did LRG have per-customer limits on this one?

9. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    I don't remember but it sold out within an hour anyway because LGR fave the entire world 5,000 copies.

10. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
  11. Aesculapius Piranha

Aesculapius Piranha

つづく Oldbie
    Unknown
    Diva
    • No soundtrack
    I honestly like this trend in collector editions. That used to be my reason for shelling out extra.

12. Sappharad

Sappharad

Oldbie
    That and steelbook are usually my only reasons for wanting collectors editions.

For this one, it was Kickstarter backers that got a soundtrack. ($250 tier I think) The description of the backer soundtrack said it includes "unreleased tracks" and had me excited for a few discs of music. In reality I ended up being disappointed. The backer soundtrack is one disc, with 21 tracks on it and over 1/3rd of those tracks were on previous soundtracks. Roughly 5 of the tracks were in last year's two disc Shenmue I & II sound collection. By unreleased tracks they clearly meant prior to the game being made, because all of them are featured in the game. There are still unreleased tracks made for the originals, this is more obvious when you see their original naming system for the tracks - they are all numbered internally like in Shenmue 2 and there are still gaps in the numbers.

There are over 280 tracks in the game data, and although some are duplicates if you omit those they still have at least 250 unique tracks. I was hoping for maybe 2 discs for the backer soundtrack. Oh well. On the plus side, they at least picked some of the better tracks for the backer soundtrack.

13. Mecha Sally

Mecha Sally

Oldbie
    Are you talking about the slipcover? If so... yeah, I'd be lying if I didn't say I feel a tiny bit disappointed that for $100 level backers all you get extra is a cardboard slipcover and some DLC code (at least, I think its a DLC code... haven't used it yet so I dunno what it is >.>). Would've been nice to get the steelbook case that Best Buy had, but eh... no use complaining about it now.

Slightly off-topic: I'm still trying to finish the second game, but Master Baihu is being a mother bitch. Those multi-input QTEs are seriously the fucking worst thing in this game. The timing on those is so inconsistent; sometimes it feels like you have to do it RIGHT as it shows you what to press, other times you wait for it to show you and THEN input it immediately. I can't even do the first one; even though I know EXACTLY what to press AND press it, it still fails me. I don't fucking get it.

Please tell me the third game doesn't have these, or if they do, that they're at least more polished than this bag of dicks.

14. Sappharad

Sappharad

Oldbie
    For the fullscreen QTE's, you can wait until it's done showing you the buttons. If you have machine gun fist, and can actually get the inputs for that working, it's an easy way to take him down and then you just need to deal with the QTE's.

Shenmue 3 doesn't have any "press 2 buttons at once" QTEs like 2 does (although I don't think Baihu was one of those) but it does have both QTE's and fullscreen QTE's. The timing on them is also faster than the previous games, which really sucks. On the plus side, every single one of them loses you less than 20 seconds if you fail - there are none that dump you all the way back to the beginning of a fight for example. Some longer ones will just dump you back to the middle of the scene if you fail partway.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  15. Aesculapius Piranha

Aesculapius Piranha

つづく Oldbie
    Unknown
    Diva
    That is indeed what I'm talking about. At least our names are on the game for good or bad.

16. Mecha Sally

Mecha Sally

Oldbie
    Oh... great. Well at least I know what to expect when I get to it. =/

I do have Machine Gun Fist and did use it in a few attempts. Although I read that using it in the fight changes the QTE commands somehow. Not sure how true that is as I only made it to the second QTE once and I botched it. I managed to get his health down other times but just spamming the regular punch button over and over and then dodging like crazy, so I don't really NEED the other move. It's just the QTE's that throw me; I don't know why I'm having so much trouble with them here. It especially sucks that they happen in the middle of a fight because you're so busy pressing other buttons you can end up failing them simply because you're so into the fighting and have no way of knowing exactly when it's going to pop up.

17. biggestsonicfan

biggestsonicfan

Model2wannaB Tech Member
    ALWAYS Sonic the Fighters
    Ek3-SlDVoAA6edn.jpeg

I CAN'T BELIEVE I GOT THE ONE I ACTUALLY WANTED!!!!

18. Sappharad

Sappharad

Oldbie
    At this point the game has been out a year so we are probably not getting much out of this thread. But the game launched on Steam and GOG last week, and all KS backers who requested a Steam key last October before the deadline have been sent them. (I got mine)
    Limited Run is taking pre-orders for another collectors edition, this time the "Complete Edition" which includes all of the DLC:
    https://limitedrungames.com/collections/neo-frontpage/products/shenmue-iii-complete-edition-ps4
    They are also taking orders for the complete 194 track soundtrack on Vinyl and CD. (Links on the bottom of the page I linked above) All of that stuff does not ship until next year.
    The full soundtrack is available digitally (with lossless as an option) here:
    https://store.bravewave.net/album/shenmue-iii-the-definitive-soundtrack

At this point, personally I'm done buying Shenmue 3 stuff. I did buy the digital version of the soundtrack above, but having the game on PC and PS4 with DLC is enough for me. I'm hoping that Shenmue 4, whenever it happens, will end up better than 3 was now that they have an engine & character models to work with already. No word on that yet, but given how sour the reception to the lack of details on 3 was during it's development I'm hoping they continue to keep quiet and don't announce it until they have something to show that is up to the quality of the last two or three Shenmue 3 trailers.

19. Xilla

Xilla

I fail to understand....I begin to see! Member
    Somehow can't see myself buying that Collectors Edition when I'm still waiting on the capsule toy I paid a similar amount for :V