don't click here

Sonic the Hedgehog (2020) movie

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Dark Sonic, Dec 7, 2013.

1. Antheraea

Antheraea

Bug Hunter Member
    one of my friends said he looked like a mop head and now I can't unsee it

2. I kinda like the test model, at least in the face. Not better than the latest iteration, but far better than what they believed was okay IMO.

3. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    Yea it's a wonder how they went backwards from that design. It's all kind of silly.

4. The earlier ugly bastard design makes me appreciate the new one even more.

And it makes me happy that was improved, like, a lot.

5. Jay T.

Jay T.

It takes an idiot to do cool things... Member
    About a couple of days ago, the fansite, Sonic Team Argentina did an interview with one of the animators, and an affiliate of Tails' Channel was able to do a translation. However, it looks like the fansite took the interview down, and eventually Tails' Channel did as well after receiving a complaint. Fortunately, the tweets they made summarizing the interview are still there (here and here).

Seriously Paramount, what the hell? This just makes me feel bad for the animators. I'm sure even Fowler wasn't OK with that design.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2019
    • Informative Informative x 12
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. Sid Starkiller

Sid Starkiller

Virginia, USA
    Paying off student loans
    That is hilarious. You really made my day, thank you.

7. RDNexus

RDNexus

It had to have been Paramount. They really must have their heads stuck in the ground.
    When are those corporate assholes gonna stop pulling stunts out of their asses and let producers do their thing properly?

8. astroblema

astroblema

my name means "star wound" Member
    Chile
    It's a secret!
  9. netscapenow

netscapenow

Interesting how it has the mono-eye. Also, Sonic's shoes (both on the plush and on the render of Sonic on the tag) are missing the stripe. Maybe something to do with Puma?

10. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    Is it me, or is the movie getting a lot of attention in Spain? I feel like half the relevant informations we got for this move so far came from spanish-speaking countries.

11. Linkabel

Linkabel

I would say that Sonic has a big audience in Spanish speaking countries, especially after Sonic X aired.

(Something that I don't think Sega really takes advantage.)

Add that these kind of movies do decently on those markets then it's not surprising that Paramount is putting a lot of effort there.

12. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  13. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    [​IMG]

I took a crack at making a hybrid design of sorts, using Modern Sonic's pupil's, side mouth, and tan arms and then using the movie proportions for the rest (except the torso, I made that a bit smaller).

If they decrusted the textures idk I think this might look pretty good.

14. Wafer

Wafer

Find me on Twitter instead Member
    Worth remembering that Sega basically won the 8- and 16-bit wars outside of America and Japan (despite what revisionist games journalism would have you think) and Sega was practically a monopoly in South America at the time.

(Seriously, sometimes I think mainstream games journalism is trying to gaslight me over my childhood memories)

15. RDNexus

RDNexus

Well... It sure was quick for people to find the AR Game and rip the model.
    I'll be waiting to see Movie!Sonic ported into games like Generations & 06.

16. Jason

Jason

17. Boxer Hockey

Boxer Hockey

The problem with trying to retrofit a film grade VFX model into a video game is that Sonic's game models are built to look decent so that as little facial animation as possible needs to be done.
    99% of the game Modern Sonic will not have a single bit of actual animation being done to his face or even have a single vertex altered from his face in t-pose.
    Movie Sonic is built to be fully animated in every frame. Just dropping his static mug into a game with no fur is going to look like shaved taxidermy.

18. Jason

Jason

The more impressive stuff will come with SFM and the like. I mean there are some good renders made already. Though I would love Movie Sonic going through Adventure 1's expressions, but I don't think anyone's been able to nail down how to get that working in game.

19. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I just think most of the movie sonic model ports are just made for neat proof of concepts. They both have their purposes though.

20. Boxer Hockey

Boxer Hockey

Right, there's no harm in experimentation. I saw a comment elsewhere on the side-by-side that was just like "why does the movie model look so off" and it's like... put Buzz Lightyear in a t-pose next to Rocket Raccoon in a T-pose without his fur. Which one do you think is going to look "off". The farther you get from a cartoon the more eerie a naked t-pose will look.