don't click here

Streets of Rage 4

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by Jason, Aug 27, 2018.

1. Xilla

Xilla

I fail to understand....I begin to see! Member
  2. Ashura96

Ashura96

HEROIC VERSE Oldbie
    I sure hope those fonts for the score and combo/damage are placeholders.

3. Xilla

Xilla

Dotemu have put up one of the tracks for free download here.

It's one of Motohiro's.

I hope the option is there to turn it off personally!

4. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Two things:
    -What's with the Time Over sound being played again and again? It's so effing distracting.
    -Why do the hits sound like they're slapping each other with a fish? :V

5. Mentski

Mentski

Pff. Member
    Parts Unknown
    Being a mysterious face.
    I always thought that was an issue with Streets of Rage 3, too. The lessening of the hit stun, increased gameplay speed and lighter sounding impact sound effect really made the game feel less satisfying compared to the slower, crunchier SoR 2 for me.

6. Xilla

Xilla

The Time Over sound plays when you are hit after a special, with the new system where you replenish health by landing combos. Really wish they'd change it.

7. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Yeah, it really stinks and I'm sure that somebody in the team can make a new sound effect for that.

8. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
  9. Yuzu

Yuzu

Did anyone grab the download before it was removed from Bandcamp?

Would love to have an mp3 or flac of it on my PC.

10. Icewarrior

Icewarrior

I'm a member of S.T.A.R.S !!11!!!1!! Member
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2019
  11. Icewarrior

Icewarrior

I'm a member of S.T.A.R.S !!11!!!1!! Member
    Another gameplay vid by Famitsu:

12. trakker

trakker

The guy that's been warned! Member
    And gameplain selected Blaze, so now we have good footage of all 3 characters

13. Xilla

Xilla

Nice to see videos where the players are aware of the existence of Blitz attack!

Also...jumping Specials seem to be a thing.

14. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    So are we to presume that the sound effects aren't final? Because they aren't great.

And there's a lot missing too. I was going to point out how "empty" the whole thing felt but then I noticed that none of the attacks make a noise and enemies don't moan when they die. So that'll be why then.

Although that would only bring it up to par with Streets of Rage, a game from 1991. Again, I feel a 2019 game should be setting its sights higher than being an HD remake.

Anybody else notice that the "streets" don't seem to be filled with "rage"? Like, there's people just getting on with their lives, and the main characters seem to be starting fights.

I'm thinking it should be more like the beginning of RoboCop 2

15. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    The game has no release date yet, so I feel everything is a work in progress.

Streets of Rage, despite the name, never really were filled with angry mobs. There were gangs, but they weren't actively harassing anyone or causing destruction. That was more Golden Axe, now that I think about it.

Except 3, which aside from that one guy in the bulldozer, all the chaos was in cutscenes.

More footage. Big mechanic I feel is missing for a sequel is only Cherry can run, a la Skate. Wasn't that a non-contentious part of 3?

Last edited: Sep 2, 2019
  16. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    Some behind the scenes footage. An interesting tidbit is that they try to play SoR2 and SoR4 at the same time to make sure it has a similar rhythm.

17. Ashura96

Ashura96

HEROIC VERSE Oldbie
    I still preferred all the mechanics and gameplay rhythm of 3. It's like the game might as well not even exist at this point.

18. trakker

trakker

The guy that's been warned! Member
    Ok, not specifically SOR4, but this is the 7th gym in Pokemon Sword and Shield, and I can't help but think it's overall inspiration is from Streets of Rage

Music is kinda inspired, locked to side scrolling, "GO>" sign, neon, enemies pop out from background, and it's a dark type gym, so you need to use Fighting type pokemon (ideally) to beat it.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  19. Meat Miracle

Meat Miracle

Researcher
    I, for one, am praying that they change the sound effects because the current ones suck shit. The punch attacks especially, they just... feel so powerless.

20. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    Pretty sure they tweeted a response to someone a while back clarifying that all SFX/voice in the demo was non-final - not surprising as there's a distinct lack of the latter in the footage shown compared to previous games.

The game still has no defined release date as such bar "2020", so there's still aways to go yet - I'm sure all that will be given a thorough polish prior to its actual launch.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List